Cliff Ellis Retiring - Played a memorable role in UConn History | The Boneyard

Cliff Ellis Retiring - Played a memorable role in UConn History

Reaction Score
Cliff Ellis, the NCAA's oldest active coach, was the head coach of Clemson when Tate George hit The Shot. Ellis apparently waited 10 full years before he could stomach watching a replay. That's wield, I watch it before almost every big UConn game. And it's still great!

Reaction Score
Cliff Ellis, the NCAA's oldest active coach, was the head coach of Clemson when Tate George hit The Shot. Ellis apparently waited 10 full years before he could stomach watching a replay. That's wield, I watch it before almost every big UConn game. And it's still great!

I am laughing because that is all I ever knew about the guy. Anytime I hear his name or see him on TV I think "oh that's the former coach of Clemson when Tate George hit that shot" and nothing else.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I am laughing because that is all I ever knew about the guy. Anytime I hear his name or see him on TV I think "oh that's the former coach of Clemson when Tate George hit that shot" and nothing else.
That shot pretty much got Tate into the NBA but apparently didn’t drive Ellis out of coaching.

Reaction Score
UConn almost gave the game away and Tate George saved us. Clemson was lucky to even be in position to lose on a buzzer beater. If Tate hadn't hit that shot, it would've been a crushing loss.
yup, UConn blew their 19 pt lead they had with around 10 min left.

Reaction Score
yup, UConn blew their 19 pt lead they had with around 10 min left.
Just think, if they hadn't almost blown that game, we wouldn't have probably the greatest pre-national championship moment.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Seeing the thread title instantaneously made me picture Ellis' face after Tate hit The Shot.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Me too. It will always be a moment I remember as well. In my parents house in Storrs, I jumped out of my seat and my dad jumped out of the contour chair.

I was 13. My dad turned off the TV in disgust after we blew the lead. I turned it back on and he reluctantly came back into the media room. Then we ran through the house screaming so loud my mom thought something terrible had happened.

Reaction Score
It’s a moment I’ll always remember. Sitting on my bed in a hotel in San Jose screaming.
Yep,,,, we watched it with some of my wife's coworkers and their husbands, whom I had never met before. We were all happy with a 17 pt lead, kinda half paid attention for a while while we chatted and drank and suddenly, it's like "&^$#@ our lead is down to five"....then the lead was gone. Scotty threw the pass. Tate hit it. I remember the look of disbelief on Cliff Ellis' face....and net thing I know I'm hugging these guys I had just met two hours earlier. I remember driving home and hearing "That's what I like about UConn" on the radio.

Reaction Score
I was 13. My dad turned off the TV in disgust after we blew the lead. I turned it back on and he reluctantly came back into the media room. Then we ran through the house screaming so loud my mom thought something terrible had happened.
I was 9 watching with my dad and brothers. My dad was cursing at the TV and kept saying over and over, "I can't believe they blew uking game." I started crying and then a couple minutes later we were all screaming and hugging each other. We all went out to eat after and my dad lectured me on how you can't cry about sports and the game is never over. I accepted the no crying part but called him out on the game is never over part.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"It took me 10 years to watch it," Ellis said after his team won at Central in improbable fashion, thanks to a late four-point play. "It was an ESPN Classic. My daughter called up and said, 'The game is on. It's time for you to watch it if you want to watch it.' It was 10 years. I was at Auburn at the time. We had just come off an SEC championship, so I was feeling good, and I watched it. It still hurt. The toughest loss, overall, that I've probably endured."
:D

Reaction Score
All of you need to send me MP3 files of you sharing these memories for Episode 17!!

dreamseasonpodATgmail.com

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I was in the Clemson student section right behind Scotty with everyone standing with their back to the play screaming at my buddy and me. I just kept watching the play unfold looking around heads and arms and when I threw my hands up they all turned in unison. I guess its a good thing they didn't have to watch their team lose like they did! I came back to a dance party that night and attempted to do the Husky slide - not one of my best ideas

Reaction Score
All of you need to send me MP3 files of you sharing these memories for Episode 17!!

dreamseasonpodATgmail.com
I forgot to add, that will be the Fan Memories episode. I'd love to have enough to do multiple episodes.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
"It took me 10 years to watch it," Ellis said after his team won at Central in improbable fashion, thanks to a late four-point play. "It was an ESPN Classic. My daughter called up and said, 'The game is on. It's time for you to watch it if you want to watch it.' It was 10 years. I was at Auburn at the time. We had just come off an SEC championship, so I was feeling good, and I watched it. It still hurt. The toughest loss, overall, that I've probably endured."
:D

tears-licked.gif

Reaction Score
I do respect how Cliff Ellis coached the last fifteen years, during his 60s and 70s, prime retirement years, at school just 20 minutes from the beach.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn almost gave the game away and Tate George saved us. Clemson was lucky to even be in position to lose on a buzzer beater. If Tate hadn't hit that shot, it would've been a crushing loss.
Still wouldn't have been as crushing as the loss 2 days later.

Reaction Score
I was 9 watching with my dad and brothers. My dad was cursing at the TV and kept saying over and over, "I can't believe they blew uking game." I started crying and then a couple minutes later we were all screaming and hugging each other. We all went out to eat after and my dad lectured me on how you can't cry about sports and the game is never over. I accepted the no crying part but called him out on the game is never over part.
That’s why I was glad I was alone. The games used to take a lot out of me. I definitely feel what your father felt.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Because whenever they show "The Shot" they show Ellis' look right after. Cliff Ellis face was a thing a decade before Eli Manning face.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom