Clark Kellogg & Doug Gottlieb & Steve Smith | The Boneyard

Clark Kellogg & Doug Gottlieb & Steve Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Very cool to see him have to do 20 push-ups for picking Iowa State.

Then Doug Gottlieb was analyzing DeAndre's performance and he had to through in that he thought DD was also awful on defense in allowing Hogue to score so much...he called it "brother-in-law ball" (allowing his anti-UConn hate to bleed through) and asked Smith what he called it.
Smith replied, " I call it W and L and UConn got the W"...putting Dougie in his place

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Illustrated the difference between players and commentators.

Brother-in-law ball against cousin of b-I-l ball.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
It was smith. He said he calls it W's and L's. And Daniels got the W.

Reaction Score
DeAndre wasn't even the only one guarding Hogue, Niels spent alot of time on him and got lit up

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not one highlight of UConn's Win during TBS Half Time Coverage of Mich State vs Virginia. Only a comment when analyzing the Louisville game how UConn made its free throws. CBS & TBS is not giving UConn fair treatment about its win.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Not one highlight of UConn's Win during TBS Half Time Coverage of Mich State vs Virginia. Only a comment when analyzing the Louisville game how UConn made its free throws. CBS & TBS is not giving UConn fair treatment about its win.
I noticed that. No highlights of the game that the winner of this game will play.

Reaction Score
I noticed that. No highlights of the game that the winner of this game will play.
UConn is getting no respect. I know they played tonight! Where's the recap and some analysis!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
There has been no analysis that basically with about 16 minutes to go we took the air out of the ball to shorten the game allowing some closing of the score by IS when our lead was 17 points. This is Jim Calhoun's old ploy, how many times have we seen it with a big lead? KO said basically that we can last them out. It was very strategic and the game was not as close as it looked though i admire IS greatly.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
DeAndre wasn't even the only one guarding Hogue, Niels spent alot of time on him and got lit up

that kid had a vergy difficult time missing shots.

Reaction Score
Wbbfan1 said:
CBS & TBS is not giving UConn fair treatment about its win.
Boo freakin' hoo. It's all about testiculos. Win and advance. Go UCONN!

Reaction Score
Very cool to see him have to do 20 push-ups for picking Iowa State.

Then Doug Gottlieb was analyzing DeAndre's performance and he had to through in that he thought DD was also awful on defense in allowing Hogue to score so much...he called it "brother-in-law ball" (allowing his anti-UConn hate to bleed through) and asked Smith what he called it.
Smith replied, " I call it W and L and UConn got the W"...putting Dougie in his place
I saw that. He sounded like a complete /idiot and Smith tooled him. His reaction to Smith was priceless lol!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There has been no analysis that basically with about 16 minutes to go we took the air out of the ball to shorten the game allowing some closing of the score by IS when our lead was 17 points. This is Jim Calhoun's old ploy, how many times have we seen it with a big lead? KO said basically that we can last them out. It was very strategic and the game was not as close as it looked though i admire IS greatly.

A classic "I can pissss longer than you can tread water" scenario.

Reaction Score

It has worked, but God I hate this "style"... We are up 17, rolling, with a chance to absolutely crush them and we start milking clock. That in itself is not a huge issue, but it takes out of our game which then translates over to our defense which was essentially non-existent down the stretch. It became a layup line for them the last 4 minutes.

Reaction Score
It has worked, but God I hate this "style"... We are up 17, rolling, with a chance to absolutely crush them and we start milking clock. That in itself is not a huge issue, but it takes out of our game which then translates over to our defense which was essentially non-existent down the stretch. It became a layup line for them the last 4 minutes.

I have never seen a UConn team stop playing any semblance of defense that early in a game. It's great that we have confidence that we'll never miss a free throw, but it wouldn't have hurt anyone if we stopped giving up uncontested layups in the first ten secconds of the shot clock time after time.

Reaction Score
I was at Bobby V's just yelling……STOP THE BALL, "get in front of someone", "get a hand in his face"

It was actually frustrating watching them seemingly worried about fouling or whatever and not playing defense til the ball was on the rim…….and with that laziness came really crappy rebounding efforts too! God that was annoying…….

But great win:eek:

Reaction Score
What I don't get about last night is if you are going to allow them a free layup every 6 seconds why not at least foul them and force them to hit every free throw. basically we were letting them get close enough so that if something crazy happened like a quick steal on an inbounds they could have made up a 6 point difference really quick. we know it can happen because we have seen it.

Reaction Score
What I don't get about last night is if you are going to allow them a free layup every 6 seconds why not at least foul them and force them to hit every free throw. basically we were letting them get close enough so that if something crazy happened like a quick steal on an inbounds they could have made up a 6 point difference really quick. we know it can happen because we have seen it.

Exactly what I was thinking, at least put some pressure on them to make free throws. Which they were struggling with, too. We weren't taking time off the clock very much, by letting them walk to the basket, might as well get in a good hack near the rim and make them earn the 2 points.

Water under the bridge at this point...great win! ...but had me at the edge of my seat for a bit.

Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
I have never seen a UConn team stop playing any semblance of defense that early in a game. It's great that we have confidence that we'll never miss a free throw, but it wouldn't have hurt anyone if we stopped giving up uncontested layups in the first ten secconds of the shot clock time after time.

Iowa State stopped running any offense at all. Their guys would just put their head down and barrel to the rim. Since our bigs (Brimah, primarily) were getting beat off the dribble by theirs, we went Giff-DD and three guards. Then we didn't have the bodies to stop them as we kept getting muscled out of the way for buckets or put backs (and we didn't want to over help and give up threes). It was a Catch-22, but fortunately time was on our side, and Samuel/Giffey hit big shots when it was getting hairy.

We gave up 50 in the second half, so it won't go in the archives as a defensive clinic, but this time of year, you stop worrying about learning lessons and developing good habits and just do whatever it takes to make the managers do another load of laundry.

Reaction Score
We gave up 50 in the second half, so it won't go in the archives as a defensive clinic, but this time of year, you stop worrying about learning lessons and developing good habits and just do whatever it takes to make the managers do another load of laundry.
Both our D and our O were really good in the first half.

At the end of the game, our KenPom offensive efficiency went from 57 to 46, and our defenseive efficiency went from 10 to 13.

KenPom doesn't account for injuries and whatnot. We're a different team with Daniels healthy and playing well, and I wonder what our efficiency looks like in the games where Daniels wasn't playing hurt (although it's a grey line...we know when he got hurt, but not when he really got healthy).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
From home, early in the game there were moments where our fans were quite loud but nothing sustained. That we didn't have the tight, often back and forth game that UVA fans were witnessing may have played a bit of a role but there is valid reason to be disappointed in the noise our fan base generates.

I remember going to games in the late 1980's (pre dream season) where the Civic Center rocked constantly. We got spoiled as there were great games, with name opponents during the 2000's where crowd noise at the Civic (XL) center couldn't compare with what we had fifteen to twenty years earlier.

I remember (watching on TV) when staging a comeback against UNC in Greensboro in '98, a shot by Rip (that IIRC would have made it a two point game) rimmed out, UNC scored, we missed a shot that led to a full court pass off a rebound and a Vince Carter dunk. The place erupted and even though it was still a reasonably close game (I believe UNC had an eight point lead) our kids were shook as the atmosphere resembled that as if the game was over. If UNC fans, at a time when they had three titles under their belt, countless final fours and at that point something like 22 consecutive sweet sixteen appearances were that loud under those circumstances, no fan base has the right to be spoiled.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Iowa State stopped running any offense at all. Their guys would just put their head down and barrel to the rim. Since our bigs (Brimah, primarily) were getting beat off the dribble by theirs, we went Giff-DD and three guards. Then we didn't have the bodies to stop them as we kept getting muscled out of the way for buckets or put backs (and we didn't want to over help and give up threes). It was a Catch-22, but fortunately time was on our side, and Samuel/Giffey hit big shots when it was getting hairy.

Two things I would have liked to see. There was a couple of bone headed plays, like when Giffey went for that steal in the back court. That cannot happen in that situation. We did become undisciplined.

Also, our switching evaporated, and it killed us on slips to the hoop. We had the personnel to switch no problem or to simple stick tight to our guys on cuts. Easier said than done, I know.

I get and agree with the no 3 defense. That said, we did lose some discipline, which carried over to boxing out as well. I liked the strategy, but our execution of that strategy on the defensive end could have been better. ce la vie. We won.

EDIT: and no one is really mentioning this, but ISU has done the same thing all year. They can score bunches of points in seconds and manage to hang in every game, even when they are getting blown out. Newsflash: they're good, especially at cutting deficits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom