Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
1650668752058.png

1650668728516.png

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Does Christyn get to hang around with the team on her own dime? Having spent 25+ plus years living around the beltway, housing is not cheap. I am guessing/hoping that the Mystics are footing the bills related to her injury and rehab, but how is she going to pay for food, normal living expenses and housing?

And yes, I am bummed about her injury too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I hope Christyn gets even better NIL deals!

She can probably get a 4-month rental on a nice apartment and then go back to Arkansas.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I doubt if there is any NIL money for Williams. I think her WNBA dreams are gone. At least for now. The best she an hope for is probably play in Europe once she recovers. That really sucks.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
When I read this news I was surprised and heartbroken at the same time. :( I believe things happen for a reason, even if we don't understand why at the time. I assume that the "she'll be around" means she will be with the team as an inactive non-roster player attending all practices, meetings and home games.

I'm not aware if teams pay for non-roster players in rehab to travel with the team. I understand she WILL receive her full rookie salary for this season. A small consolation, but she will receive some compensation for her time and presence with the team while she rehabs and learns their plays and various defensive schemes. I hope Christyn heals completely and quickly and is able to put this setback behind her.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It would be nice if she could rehab at UConn.
She could, it would also be on her dime though.

Reaction Score
What a heartbreaking start to her professional career. Here was a kid who was basically injury free for 4 years. As for the money/salary part, here is another reason (I believe) NIL will only serve to hurt the majority of collegiate athletes. Christyn was the 14th pick in the WNBA draft (no small feat) and had zero NIL offers. You think stuff that doesn't play into the minds of other athletes. Wishing her the best!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I doubt if there is any NIL money for Williams. I think her WNBA dreams are gone. At least for now. The best she an hope for is probably play in Europe once she recovers. That really sucks.
Why should she not have just as great a chance to make the Mystics roster in the spring of 2023 as she would have had in 2022? Or if not Washington, then another WNBA team? If she has WNBA-level talent, and I think she does, then it should be just as marketable next year as this year.

Reaction Score
She could, it would also be on her dime though.
She can apply for graduated school not sure what major. Rest for 1 year then play for UConn in 2023 season.

Reaction Score
What a heartbreaking start to her professional career. Here was a kid who was basically injury free for 4 years. As for the money/salary part, here is another reason (I believe) NIL will only serve to hurt the majority of collegiate athletes. Christyn was the 14th pick in the WNBA draft (no small feat) and had zero NIL offers. You think stuff that doesn't play into the minds of other athletes. Wishing her the best!

She has several NILs. Not sure where you got your info from

CL82

Reaction Score
She can apply for graduated school not sure what major. Rest for 1 year then play for UConn in 2023 season.
Can she though, since she was arguably a pro player for a nanosecond?

Reaction Score
what on earth are you talking about she can never play for Uconn again lmfao

Reaction Score
The press release, quoted by Alexa Philippou on Wednesday in an ESPN article, said that Williams will have the "full support" of the Mystics during her rehab and that they are looking forward to her return next year.
..."I know she will work diligently to make a comeback next season. She will have our full support and all of our resources during her rehab. She is part of the Mystics family."

CL82

Reaction Score
The press release, quoted by Alexa Philippou on Wednesday in an ESPN article, said that Williams will have the "full support" of the Mystics during her rehab and that they are looking forward to her return next year.
..."I know she will work diligently to make a comeback next season. She will have our full support and all of our resources during her rehab. She is part of the Mystics family."
Yep, but she’s not on salary, and that probably does not include food and housing. It sucks for her.

Reaction Score
She has several NILs. Not sure where you got your info fr

She has several NILs. Not sure where you got your info from
You are correct. Williams does have 3 NIL arrangements where she posts "sponsored content" for Manuchan Ramen Noodles, Wings Over, and Goli Nutrition. Not sure if $ depends on how many followers she has, or how that works. I'm pretty sure it is not going to make her that much money over time. My point is she was one of the top 10-20 WBB seniors, and a relatively top draft pick. The players who are not making any endorsement money have to have some conflicting feelings. I just don't think NIL, or the transfer portal, is a good thing in general for collegiate basketball.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Mike is a big supporter of UConn players, and I believe he expected Christyn to make the team. I am very sure that he will be watching her rehab very closely, so we will see, not now, but later on when they evaluate players for the draft. Their first pick will tell us if they believe in Christyn going forward, and if they can concentrate on non-guard players.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Why should she not have just as great a chance to make the Mystics roster in the spring of 2023 as she would have had in 2022? Or if not Washington, then another WNBA team? If she has WNBA-level talent, and I think she does, then it should be just as marketable next year as this year.
Her problem is that there are a lot of players with WNBA talent. It certainly wasn't a lock that she would make this year's roster and next year there will be a new crop of rookies that she will have to compete with. I'm sure she will get a shot at a roster somewhere but I think her chances are a lot less than they were pre injury.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom