Christyn Williams ready to start in first season | The Boneyard

Christyn Williams ready to start in first season

Reaction Score
So who will be the fifth starter? ...I was not a believer at first(common difficulties that UConn frosh go through), but she has proven me wrong. I believe she will be that player for UConn that can get their own shot off. In the past, UConn has missed that component and it’s proven that it’s needed; a player that can make plays that are not within the flow of the offense (Ogunbowale, Durr, Vivians). That will be crucial in tough close games!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who is John Pierson?
Note he doesn't clarify if it's "at the beginning" or "at some point" of season.
Is this his opinion or something he has been told/seen?

I take this as just an opinion.

Reaction Score
I agree that Christyn hopefully will be that player who can make their own shot especially shooting off the bounce. Although we have lacked that type of player in the past, our ball movement and ability to find the open player so effectively has ultimately made up for it, but it would still be nice to have that in Geno’s toolbox. Lou and Nurse were always very effective spot up shooters, and when you have 5 players on the floor who are above average at finding the open player, they are able to show their ability.

Carter, Durr, and Ogunbowale certainly come to mind as players with that ability. It is part of what make the so effective scoring the ball.

Reaction Score
She's aggressive, left-handed and has great height for a SG... In some respects a combo of Nurse n Williams minus the uber hops. Think of how much trouble lefties can be to guard... Skylar Diggins went to the line a lot because of her aggression n the difficulty of players on this level guarding lefties. A lot of Gabby's success was going to the left. Should be fun to watch...

Reaction Score
I’m more curious to see Megan & CW defend for 30+ mins. Let’s not forget we’re trying to replace the past two DPOY in college basketball. We will be able to score with ease.
No doubt, but even Megan was honest about her need to get better defensively. Of course, I think Kia was quicker to being a good defender than Gabby, but she was aggressive out the gate and wasn't returning from injury. At the end of the day this is about them being able to stay in front of Jackie Young and Arike Ogunbowale. Marina Labret isn't really great at the dribble drive n score, and most of Shepard and Turner's damage will be in the post. We are chasing ND this year, that's the puzzle we have to solve. If we can keep AO shooting 6-21, JY under 15 pts, and MM to contested shots, I know we will be close or ahead in the 4th qtr of those games. ND will have their own chemistry issues, the game on December 2nd should be interesting to see how each team handles their transition. And keep an eye out for continued nagging injuries for Shepard and Turner.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Although we have lacked that type of player in the past, our ball movement and ability to find the open player so effectively has ultimately made up for it, but it would still be nice to have that in Geno’s toolbox..

Well, I personally think that statement shows a lack of respect Crystal Dangerfield. If I remember correctly, it was Geno who said she can get to anywhere she wants on the court against anybody and get her shot off..

I am thrilled to hear Christyn is ready to start, but at the same time, I'm a little concerned that the progression of the other upperclassmen didn't make it a harder decision for Geno to do so. Can't wait to see her play this season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She's aggressive, left-handed and has great height for a SG... In some respects a combo of Nurse n Williams minus the uber hops. Think of how much trouble lefties can be to guard... Skylar Diggins went to the line a lot because of her aggression n the difficulty of players on this level guarding lefties. A lot of Gabby's success was going to the left. Should be fun to watch...
I've always thought that Christyn is a combo of Durr, Arike, and Diana.

Reaction Score
Who is John Pierson?
Note he doesn't clarify if it's "at the beginning" or "at some point" of season.
Is this his opinion or something he has been told/seen?

I take this as just an opinion.

I think it is pretty much fact at this point that Williams will start from the exhibition game on, she is just that good! Honestly, who else could you see starting?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If CW plays as well as Sims in her freshman year, that would be an excellent start to her career although maybe with a little less drama between coach and player

Tribute to Odyssey: Sims Takes Her Place Among Best - Baylor University

"Taking over the starting point guard spot 10 games into her freshman season, Sims averaged 13.1 points and 3.1 assists in earning Big 12 and National Freshman of the Year honors.

Reaction Score
Well, I personally think that statement shows a lack of respect Crystal Dangerfield. If I remember correctly, it was Geno who said she can get to anywhere she wants on the court against anybody and get her shot off..

I am thrilled to hear Christyn is ready to start, but at the same time, I'm a little concerned that the progression of the other upperclassmen didn't make it a harder decision for Geno to do so. Can't wait to see her play this season.
What upperclassmen? All of our seniors are starters, and of the four juniors, one starts, one has knee issues, and the other two were never going to start other than on senior day.

Reaction Score
I think it is pretty much fact at this point that Williams will start from the exhibition game on, she is just that good! Honestly, who else could you see starting?

Couldn't agree more. Barring injury I believed her starting was inevitable.

Reaction Score
I’m more curious to see Megan & CW defend for 30+ mins. Let’s not forget we’re trying to replace the past two DPOY in college basketball. We will be able to score with ease.
The Queen is dead! Long live the Queen. Meaning the DPOY isn't with us any longer and no one shall exactly fill that void. However, Uconn is blessed with 3 or 4 players who are either new or stepping forward. Megan, CW, Gordon, Coombs, Touly (if all or any get real PT) will make their own path and place in Uconn history. Will they score with ease? That's the 10,000 dollar question.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
What upperclassmen? All of our seniors are starters, and of the four juniors, one starts, one has knee issues, and the other two were never going to start other than on senior day.

Only time will tell if your statement is that of prophetic truth or if it is merely one of speculation.

I don't know, I think this team would be better off having the physical presence of Boutaly or even Kayla as starters or heavy contributors, otherwise, Collier's game may take a hit due to Fatigue battling the bigs all season long especially on defense. But I'm no Geno. :)

There is plenty of offense already with the other four starters, Kristyn Coming off the bench to me would serve as to keep that going when giving a rest to Katie Lou, Megan or Crystal.. I, of course, don't mind being wrong on this. But as I said earlier, only time will tell..

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am looking forward to watching Christyn play. The starting 5 have been named in so many words (Christyn, Crystal, Lou, Megan and Napheesa), and it's going to be another amazing and fun season. Teams will feel UConn, and they are going to be in for a rude awakening. I am in count down mode.

Reaction Score
After watching that brief clip, I think that watching Ms Williams play will be quite entertaining. She certainly is high energy which will make her very effective. Intuitively, I think that she will become a defensive force even though Geno will harp on this with her in order to perfect her game skills.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I will not be surprised if Christyn starts. Reports are she is physically and mentally ready. I also like the fact she's a lefty. This is a large advantage.

I full expect Megan to start to round out the top 5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom