Chip Kelly speaking the truth | The Boneyard

Chip Kelly speaking the truth

Reaction Score

This is the future I predicted a while ago as well. There is no way in hell teams like Bama will share equal revenue with Vandy or Michigan with Rutgers etc.

Teams should put other sports into a conference while football should be indy for everyone. Every school can enter its own media deals, and each media company can make deals with individual schools. For example, Bama can have 2 games with ESPN, 2 with FOX, and 2 with Apple, etc. Every school can maximize its own football media deals as they see fit. Teams just schedule as they see fit across the country with whoever they like. If football drives all the money, then this is the way to go vs. being in a conference sharing revenue with teams that bring much less.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would take it one step further. Schools should be able to join a " media rights collective" separate from their respective conferences. So if a school is particularly desirable they can make their own media deal. If they need collective bargaining rates to do that they can join a separate Collective. I wouldn't vision top schools joining collective A, the next tier joining collective B and so on. Basically top brands could join together to maximize their bargaining ability. This would be separate and distinct from conference affiliations which could go back to being Regional.

Of course it will never happen because many schools profit from the existing arrangement and would be in a worse position with the one I described above. But that would allow for a meritocracy in terms of broadcast rights deals are and still allowed teams to be in Regional conferences with traditional rivals.

Reaction Score
Agreed that all-sports conferences are not going to be around much longer. Disagree that they should take only the top 64 FBS programs. Maybe the Sun Belt and the MAC get axed, but there are too many quality football programs across the MW, AAC, and Conference USA to draw the line that low. I think the right number of FBS programs is closer to 100, and UConn's probably right on the bubble.

Reaction Score
I notice he separates Power 5 from G5...into separate championships....he relegates the G5s
Every team still need G5s for easy wins. If they don't offer home and home, they still have to pay for body bag games.

Basically, teams can sell their home games to the highest bidders year. Teams are open to sign 1 year deal, 5 years deal, or sign 10 years deal with single media company or multiple media companies.

The only challenge is it might be harder for fans to find games to watch if they are on different platforms, but that's not hard to resolve if every school has a good website.

Reaction Score
Agreed that all-sports conferences are not going to be around much longer. Disagree that they should take only the top 64 FBS programs. Maybe the Sun Belt and the MAC get axed, but there are too many quality football programs across the MW, AAC, and Conference USA to draw the line that low. I think the right number of FBS programs is closer to 100, and UConn's probably right on the bubble.
For me it's more about what he said about football should do their own thing instead of ruining all of college sports. It's a totally different deal, they play once a week and the way it is now with all these schools having to constantly send their other teams all over the country is terrible for all these athletes and not really sustainable. It ruins women's sports/non-revenue sports.

Reaction Score
I notice he separates Power 5 from G5...into separate championships....he relegates the G5s

Yea this is garbage. It’s still arbitrarily drawing a line in the sand based on legacy - Rutgers gets to play for a “real” title but Boise St doesn’t?

Reaction Score
People just want a home for UConn football and they're scared for UConn basketball.

I don't see all the doomsday basketball scenarios playing out that people have cooked up in their heads but it does suck for UConn football. I really think they could do quite well in the Big 12 under Mora if given a chance.

I don't really see how any of this stuff is sustainable for college athletics or for TV networks long term.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
People just want a home for UConn football and they're scared for UConn basketball.

I don't see all the doomsday basketball scenarios playing out that people have cooked up in their heads but it does suck for UConn football. I really think they could do quite well in the Big 12 under Mora if given a chance.

I don't really see how any of this stuff is sustainable for college athletics or for TV networks long term.
It’s not sustainable. It makes sense for football to split off. It will be interesting to see if we do go back to regional 10 school conferences. It would be great to cut travel and restore some local rivalries. I can even see the schools making a carbon footprint case for doing this. Now the football driven money is too great.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Yea this is garbage. It’s still arbitrarily drawing a line in the sand based on legacy - Rutgers gets to play for a “real” title but Boise St doesn’t?
This was my exact thought. If you are picking 64 teams, it's crap to just say that these 64 got lucky for being in the right place at the right time. Never won anything Rutgers? No worries here's your seat because you're in the B1G. Also completely inept BC? Here you go! Syracuse has a spot right next to you.

Reaction Score
My favorite game is that road trip to Nebraska. We pack up the car and…. You get my point.

Reaction Score
We thought the PAC was protected because it was all on the west coast and now it is gone. It's a shame and when you think about all the PAC fans who had no say at all, their experience is ruined.

Maybe the P2 grow to the point where they end up with 4 divisions each, and then true realignment happens. They divest or split up or relegate within conferences. No matter how you slice it, sports outside of football should be primarily regional.

Reaction Score
I wish we had rational minds in the 2000s when the BE was still led by PC dudes with no football or baseball interests or experience. The BE leadership was completely out of its depth when CR was taking center stage then and we paid the price.

Reaction Score
I could argue over whether all FB teams should be independent or the dividing lines for divisions, but Kelly's fundamental point, that FB should not define conferences for all sports is dead on. Why should a sport where major schools play 5 road games and travel via charter, define leagues for sports that play 15 road games and travel by van, bus or commercial air? A shift to national FB only independence or leagues combined with regional leagues for all other sports is the only rational model. BB, because of the $$ involved, might also end up following the FB alignment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom