Chief’s Briefs - UCF Edition | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - UCF Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Full disclosure, unanticipated road trip came up on very short notice, so I was unable to attend the game as planned nor did I see it live on TV. I did record and finally got home to watch this morning.

I will be extremely short since it’s already time to focus on our next opponent.

Chief was very impressed with Dawkins, looks like a pro. Makes things look easy, no wasted French pastry, but very efficient and deadly.

Gilbert had some open look 3’s and unlike Adams and Polley recently - was able to knock down a good percentage. Over-all Gilbert’s on the ball defense is really good now and he has improved on reducing his overpenetration. The improvement on his 3 ball shows he’s been in the gym on his own time. In short, he’s a smart, coachable hard working competitive kid with talent. This is what we need throughout the lineup.

Under KO, we were known for our slow game starts, Hurley cleaned that up but our second half starts are terrible. Need to work on that and quite frankly Chief thinks it begins the last 5 - 6 minutes of the first half.

It’s tough to tell when you don’t have the live eye test and pick up on various vibes that may not present on TV but it’s clear whatever Hurley is doing with the refs is backfiring. True, bad teams don’t deserve favorable calls however even after factoring that in, the raw number of foul shot attempts is so out of equilibrium that it can in part be explained by many refs being annoyed by Danny. The conference’s Danny previously coached in were exclusively in the Northeast and Chief would suggest refs from other regions are less likely to buy the Jersey boy routine. Danny needs to make some adjustments that way and I think he will.

I know effectively KO left Danny with no Bigs to feed with positive results in the post. However, a steady diet of this top of the key weave motion offense is too predictable and ineffective. The reality is we are about a 55-60 point a game team against good competition during the competitive part of the game. This idea that we can score 80 a game against good teams is unwarranted. I would like to see more guys coming off multiple screens. True, our guys aren’t built to set great screens but it’s time to try.

Once again, Chief will say the team’s number 1 priority is recruiting. Chief aligns with that concept in his own allocation of energy and focus. I know, many frustrated posters are tired of hearing Chief say that since September while certain casual fans were focused on what our tournament seed would be. God bless them and casual fans have a right to be that way - but Danny and those who support him must be more pragmatic. Hence, the grind continues despite the naysayers, we have already broke the dam with 3 very good recruits and more are flowing to UConn. Stay tuned. I do think Danny may add more players than he anticipated due to a variety of factors, some publicly known and others may not be.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

UCF...57% from floor

UConn...32% from floor

That's a story for the game. Jalen was 2 of 8...Polley missed his three pointers (3)...and is now zero for his last eleven from past the arc.
As I said Gilbert is the only one who has shown evidence of shot improvement. I would also add CV’s shot selection has improved.
When Chief is discussing Polley, Adam’s and Gilbert and I focus on how Gilbert has spent time in the gym on his own - you can draw your own conclusion about the others. Polley can shoot but doesn’t have the game confidence to shoot and he just needs to practice on his own time so it becomes so automatic - he doesn’t even think about it during the game.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Being built isn't an absolute necessity for setting screens. Watching Tacko, his screens were an afterthought and he is built!

Reaction Score
This has been a very strange season in my opinion. People hate on our front court, but its hard to believe we out rebounded UCF by 9, and we had I think 15 offensive boards compared to zero for UCF and still lost by 12.

C

Chief00

Hurley too busy grinding to coach the current roster?
Not his answer obviously but mine - some of these guys you are clearly in diminishing returns territory at this point. Scarce time resource better spent elsewhere. He spent a great deal of time and energy welcoming the returnees with open arms hoping and working toward change. In some cases they felt welcome but the change did not happen on their part nearly enough.

C

Chief00

This has been a very strange season in my opinion. People hate on our front court, but its hard to believe we out rebounded UCF by 9, and we had I think 15 offensive boards compared to zero for UCF and still lost by 12.
Not much rebounding on made foul shots.

Reaction Score

The other factor in the lack of offensive boards by UCF was that they had a clear strategy to not let us run on them off shot misses.

Many times, pretty much everyone from UCF got back on D soon after a shot went up and didn’t crash the boards at all.

Nevertheless, I thought our energy and fight to get offensive boards was loads better than what we saw vs USF.

Reaction Score
Jay-Bone doesn't accept writing off a season for recruiting. Hurley needs to be able to do both. Jay-Bone is too much a casual fan.

It is like playilng poker with a pretty weak hand. Until you get some better cards, you wont win many hands. With recruits like Bouknight coming in next season things will get much better.

Reaction Score
Being built isn't an absolute necessity for setting screens. Watching Tacko, his screens were an afterthought and he is built!
Absolutely agree. Screeners just have to get to a spot and get in the way for a split second. They don't have knock anybody down.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Excellent post Chief. Couldn't agree more on all of your points. I like Vital's improvement this year - shooting better with better shot selection. Gilbert hits the 3 consistently. You have to have shooters to win. Only other way is to dominate the other team physically on the glass and in the paint. This team is not currently built for either. Only influx of new players will get us back to where we want to be. Also, like your idea of adding to the guard weaving offensive strategy. Goal this year should be to improve the record from last year by 3 to 5 more wins, change team culture and recruiting. Many on the BY seem to feel their coaching of this team would be better than Hurley's... I find that unlikely.

Reaction Score
Excellent post Chief. Couldn't agree more on all of your points. I like Vital's improvement this year - shooting better with better shot selection. Gilbert hits the 3 consistently. You have to have shooters to win. Only other way is to dominate the other team physically on the glass and in the paint. This team is not currently built for either. Only influx of new players will get us back to where we want to be. Also, like your idea of adding to the guard weaving offensive strategy. Goal this year should be to improve the record from last year by 3 to 5 more wins, change team culture and recruiting. Many on the BY seem to feel their coaching of this team would be better than Hurley's... I find that unlikely.

They're just in a no-man's land.

They have some guys who can shoot 3's and when they're dropping, it's pretty good. But when they don't - there's no second shot. Bigs can't do anything in the paint. Dribble drive is hit and miss, too - so you're just left with needing both of those games to show up to win because your bigs can't be expected to pick up any messes. And if they don't, well - that's been the last few games.

Gotta get some help down low. I feel like 1-2 quality (not even star level) bigs totally transforms this team.

Reaction Score
UCF had players that can come off screens and go up for and hit a jump shot with little room. We have Jalen and Vital who can’t. Gilbert can do this. Polley I don’t think so. And not having bigs increases pressure on our guards so they are never free. Chief’s screen idea is good but personnel is the problem.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
As I said Gilbert is the only one who has shown evidence of shot improvement. I would also add CV’s shot selection has improved.
When Chief is discussing Polley, Adam’s and Gilbert and I focus on how Gilbert has spent time in the gym on his own - you can draw your own conclusion about the others. Polley can shoot but doesn’t have the game confidence to shoot and he just needs to practice on his own time so it becomes so automatic - he doesn’t even think about it during the game.
Good observations. The shooters - Adams, Vital, Polley and Gilbert - need to be shooting at least 250-300 3's daily, and Polley in particular seems to be troubled when someone closes out. He should be doing his with a guy running at him. That, and a quicker release.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not much rebounding on made foul shots.
They also didn’t go after too many offensive rebounds. UCF shot the ball then setup their defense to not allow UConn easy buckets. A casual fan observation.

Reaction Score
Polley needs to do more than hang out at the 3 point line and chuck up misses. He had 22 minutes, Sid had 14. Polley needs to try and upfake and drive and if he can't do this then put in Sid. This season is over. These two guys should split minutes at the least. Sid needs time now so next year is better. Polley needs to work on his 3 point shot as he takes way to many for someone who struggles to make them. Hurley playing 4 guards is not working. Smith is here to give others a break not be a big part of the offense. When we run the weave it reminds me of the Subway shell game they have on the screen at the Rent and it is about as hard to figure out. A complete waste of time. Frankly once that starts it is embarrassing that that is our offense.

C

Chief00

Absolutely agree. Screeners just have to get to a spot and get in the way for a split second. They don't have knock anybody down.
To some extent but the intimidation factor of a brick wall screen can really slow the defender down.

C

Chief00

Thanks - Chief is not in his comfort zone watching recorded games - but I guess it worked well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom