Character Builder | The Boneyard

Character Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
This game was a character builder,and here is what we all learned
Even with two top players out,this team can beat a top ten team on the road.
The others will step up,when their backs are to the wall.
Moriah definatly does belong in the starting five.
Stewie in on a mission.
Even though Kiah isn't a scorer,yet,she is a beast on the defensive end,and will make a lot of teams think about going in her zone.
Someone is going to step up and take the game over.
In summary,my oh my what talent and perseverance this team has!!!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
this was a great effort soup to nutz. The players were so smart, and so tough - yer there were fouls and yes, some shots didn't go in, but they were patient, aggressive and really, really stepped up to win this game.

I don't know, what do you think? When Rebecca interviewed Geno just now, I think that he looked pretty happy about the game...maybe relieved...but happy with the effort and the smarts that this team showed.

Reaction Score
this was a great effort soup to nutz. The players were so smart, and so tough - yer there were fouls and yes, some shots didn't go in, but they were patient, aggressive and really, really stepped up to win this game.

I don't know, what do you think? When Rebecca interviewed Geno just now, I think that he looked pretty happy about the game...maybe relieved...but happy with the effort and the smarts that this team showed.

Interesting comment Geno made in that interview. 'After Stanford we knew we were a good team. With tonight's win we showed we have a great program.' Something like that.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised Uconn ran away with it at the end. I would never have thought that UConn could win, going away, playing only six players, basically, while Maryland threw wave after wave of god players at them. Impressions:
Does Maryland not have some answer other than the amazingly talented Alyssa Thomas? Guess not.
Stewie played her heart out, which is what UConn needed.
Okay, MoJeff is the real deal.
Banks is coming along just fine. If she continues to progress, a little at a time, she's going to be wonderful in about 8 games.
Kiah has her problems with consistency, but does not look out of place at all. She's not going to score a lot of points, but she sure plays defense.
Hartley comes across as dangerous, every time down the court. That's important because even if she does not take the shot, it keeps the defense honest.
It'll be interesting to see how Geno plays Chong in the next few games. Clearly, he felt she was overmatched in this one, and he probably was right. Let's seee how she can do in situations where she is more likely to succeed.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
In addition to smart and tough, the team was very composed. They didn't let MD get to them when the score was close.

But the best was the look on Thomas' face when MoJef stripped the ball and then scored. Priceless!

Reaction Score
Huge boost in confidence for this team. Will be invaluable for the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Boneyard Quote of the Dayze..."Y0u never know what you are going to get from Stewart"...
I'll take credit for that one, and I stand by it. I think people expect way too much out of her. She's a sophomore. Playing in her third game as one. She is going to be inconsistent. Just like Taurasi was at that point in her career. And Maya Moore. And pretty much every great player, ever. People assuming she's good for a '13 tourney redux every single game from here on out are in for a huge disappointment.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I'll take credit for that one, and I stand by it. I think people expect way too much out of her. She's a sophomore. Playing in her third game as one. She is going to be inconsistent. Just like Taurasi was at that point in her career. And Maya Moore. And pretty much every great player, ever. People assuming she's good for a '13 tourney redux every single game from here on out are in for a huge disappointment.

Some "credit".

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Interesting comment Geno made in that interview. 'After Stanford we knew we were a good team. With tonight's win we showed we have a great program.' Something like that.

I liked that comment from Geno. It's not about how many players you have, it's about the name on the front of the jersey.

Reaction Score
Some "credit".
What's your point besides trying to stir up trouble? If Stewart has an off game on Sunday and the team some how loses 72-66 because Machine Gun Maggie goes off, am I vindicated? Of course not. On the flip side, it's petulance to take statements out of context and throw them back in the face of those who made them. That "showing up" mentality breeds contempt. Geno disapproves. Tsk tsk.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
In addition to smart and tough, the team was very composed. They didn't let MD get to them when the score was close.

But the best was the look on Thomas' face when MoJef stripped the ball and then scored. Priceless!

Penn State will not back down at all. If anything, they will fight all the more harder as the game progresses

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I'm surprised Uconn ran away with it at the end. I would never have thought that UConn could win, going away, playing only six players, basically, while Maryland threw wave after wave of god players at them. Impressions:
Does Maryland not have some answer other than the amazingly talented Alyssa Thomas? Guess not.
Stewie played her heart out, which is what UConn needed.
Okay, MoJeff is the real deal.
Banks is coming along just fine. If she continues to progress, a little at a time, she's going to be wonderful in about 8 games.
Kiah has her problems with consistency, but does not look out of place at all. She's not going to score a lot of points, but she sure plays defense.
Hartley comes across as dangerous, every time down the court. That's important because even if she does not take the shot, it keeps the defense honest.
It'll be interesting to see how Geno plays Chong in the next few games. Clearly, he felt she was overmatched in this one, and he probably was right. Let's seee how she can do in situations where she is more likely to succeed.

In the 2nd half MD showed a lack of heart, while UConn, lead by energizer bunny Moriah, kept scrapping. Definitely reflects poorly on the MD coach.

I don't think Saniya was "overmatched". She just came out and played like a freshman. That kind of up and down should be expected.

Reaction Score
In the 2nd half MD showed a lack of heart, while UConn, lead by energizer bunny Moriah, kept scrapping. Definitely reflects poorly on the MD coach.

I don't think Saniya was "overmatched". She just came out and played like a freshman. That kind of up and down should be expected.
This was pretty obvious. That's like throwing blood in the water. I'll say this, when UConn smells blood it's lights out. You're done. Only question is do you lose by 15 or 30.

Reaction Score
It was exactly like that and once again he showed that he is an excellent game coach. I also believe Chris Dailey's arms are sore from holding him back after some of those foul calls especially the 4th on Stef.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Maryland really lost its composure half way into the 2nd half and almost stopped competing.
Almost every possession seemed like a turn-over.
Thomas returned to her more typical vs UConn form.
And no one from the vast bench was able to withstand the defensive pressure.
Not a particularly well-coached team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice OP - on Kiah specifically but also relevant for Stewie and Stef - Uconn guards are still having trouble with the timing and quality of entry passes. With Stokes - some of it is trust I think as she can get great position and they still fail to make the entry pass - last two games when they did make the pass she nailed the shot and looked great doing it - but she only got two passes, one in each game - the rest of her scoring in the Stanford game was on rebounding.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
More from Geno:

"One of the things I was trying to prove to our players, I think we proved Monday we have the ability to be a great team and tonight I wanted them to come out and prove we are a great program, those two things are not necessarily the same thing. There are lots of teams that are great teams but we have an opportunity tonight to prove that we are a great program, we don't rely on certain individuals, it is the strength of our team, the strength of our program, the culture that we have created that has allowed us to do some of the things that we do."

"When you come to Connecticut and you play in this particular program there are certain expectations and you have to try to reach those expectations and sometimes it is on your terms and sometimes things are forced upon you and today Moriah Jefferson, Brianna Banks they were phenomenal," Auriemma said. "As good as Kiah was on Monday against Stanford that is how good Moriah and Brianna Banks were. That is what teams do."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Penn State will not back down at all. If anything, they will fight all the more harder as the game progresses
Penn State is very young. Some veterans like Maggie, yes, but very young, too.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Maryland really lost its composure half way into the 2nd half and almost stopped competing.
Almost every possession seemed like a turn-over.
Thomas returned to her more typical vs UConn form.
And no one from the vast bench was able to withstand the defensive pressure.
Not a particularly well-coached team.

Would you say, maybe, that they sort of "Fresed up"? (Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom