Samir Doughty (Committed to VCU) | The Boneyard

Samir Doughty (Committed to VCU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

From ESPN:
Doughty can make plays off the bounce with the best of them and so he's a very good player at the high school and AAU levels but in order to translate his game to the college level he's going to have to improve his jumper, learn to play without the ball, and embrace his defensive potential.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He looks like he has the quicks to compete in my over 30 league! Pretty slow release on the jumper too.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Reminds me a little bit of Turtle and a little bit of Tate George. I think we really need a lock down shooter, but I trust in KO.

Reaction Score
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/sports/ncaabasketball/st-johns-adds-three-transfers.html?_r=0

Looks like the odd man out or Lavin getting canned (Most likely the former). Either way looks like Mullen recruited over him to an extent. It will a tough sell for St. Johns to sell Diallo on this sorry bunch (other than Williams). They have pulled out every stop known to mankind to land him though. I hope they somehow get Diallo to prevent the balance of power in college hoops from changing to much.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We're not looking for impact players right off the bat. Seems like he could contribute off the bench and learn from those around him.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
We aren't?

Adams-Purvis-Hamilton-Miller-Brimah seems like a pretty good starting 5 to me. But what do I know?

If Sterling Gibbs commits, then that's outstanding. But I don't think that the team is going to crash and burn without him.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Please stop.

Tevin Mack and Diamond Stone aren't walking through the door. Outside of Sterling Gibbs, who are we even still recruiting who will have eligibility for next year? I don't want to bank scholarships for prospects who may or may not commit; I want a team with a full 13-man roster with actual depth and options if certain players aren't getting it done.

You've made it very well-known that you find my views completely and utterly asinine. Repeating yourself is just a waste of your own time. If I'm cutting down on posting passive-aggressive crap, I should at the very least have the same right to post my opinions on actual basketball matters as much as any other poster here.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What you want and what you think the staff's intentions might be are two entirely different things. Claiming that the staff is not trying to recruit impact players is just plain nuts.

Try having an unexpressed thought every now and again.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
For next season, we need another guard who can run the offense. A combo guard
would be ideal. We may have him on the team. Maybe, Sam Jr hurt his leg early and the real Sam Jr was the player we saw in the exhibition games, maybe not. Omar should give us quality minutes as a backup swing. Miller takes a ton of pressure off of Nolan and Facey.
This kid could give us a ball handler behind Adams. We may have enough
now, if the usual suspects all improve over the summer in the areas that need improvement.
And, of course, never turn away a stud, regardless of position.
On Ollie's recruiting. He has filled glaring need at the point guard and strong forward.
Brought in future big in Enoch. And he is still in the game with two scholarships. Seriously,
he is doing very well..

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Who besides S. Gibbs is out there and a potential target who can play starter's minutes next year?

I like you and I think this is more semantics than something you should get bashed for. But we have plenty of non-impact players already. I assume you weren't looking to add to our stable. We need a bona-fide 6th man in our front court for handle, shooting & D. We already have 3 players who have not proved they can make a significant enough impact.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
We already have 3 players who have not proved they can make a significant enough impact.
Why do you think they won't improve? Omar's going to have his first injury-free summer at UConn; Facey's coming off his first year playing significant D-1 minutes; and Nolan isn't likely to spend most of his season in a walking boot next time around.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Why do you think they won't improve? Omar's going to have his first injury-free summer at UConn; Facey's coming off his first year playing significant D-1 minutes; and Nolan isn't likely to spend most of his season in a walking boot next time around.
I'm all for supporting our guys and I want them all to improve and succeed, and I've certainly been pleasantly surprised by the development of many of our players over the years, but at this point I've gotta agree that I'm not too sanguine about Omar ever being as advertised. His unorthodox shot just does not seem to be as successful at this level. Nor do I expect big things from Nolan, whom I think will see significantly fewer minutes next season with Miller in the fold. Facey had some flashes of improvement early on but then seemed to regress for the last half of the season. Not sure whether he hit a plateau or if that was some corollary to the Peter Principle at play.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

That might be the worst choice of music for a highlight mix in the history of mixtapes. Sounds like a funeral dirge.

Reaction Score
I like you and I think this is more semantics than something you should get bashed for. But we have plenty of non-impact players already. I assume you weren't looking to add to our stable. We need a bona-fide 6th man in our front court for handle, shooting & D. We already have 3 players who have not proved they can make a significant enough impact.
I think our front line is fine. Yes we could use another SF to back up Dham but I think we our fine in our frontcourt and backups(PN, KF, SE and OC). Were I'm more concerned is our backcourt. We have nobody to handle the ball and run the point and score a little. TSAM and SAM I AM don't instill confidence. If either JA or RP is in foul trouble we are in a hot mess! Let's find that ball handler who can keep defenses honest than reach for a kid like this. Would he be a junior as he is coming from Community College?

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Matrim, I didn't say they won't improve. You put those words in my mouth. I sincerely hope they do improve. Last year they could not work out of a press, shoot well and 2 of 3 did not play D well enough. I think it is prudent to get help here. If they bloom, all the better.

Reaction Score
Tevin Mack and Diamond Stone aren't walking through the door. Outside of Sterling Gibbs, who are we even still recruiting who will have eligibility for next year? I don't want to bank scholarships for prospects who may or may not commit; I want a team with a full 13-man roster with actual depth and options if certain players aren't getting it done.

You've made it very well-known that you find my views completely and utterly asinine. Repeating yourself is just a waste of your own time. If I'm cutting down on posting passive-aggressive crap, I should at the very least have the same right to post my opinions on actual basketball matters as much as any other poster here.
He's not the only one...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
He's not the only one...

I don't get this. Do you people really talk to people like this in real life? Stairs committed no crime or harmed anyone here that I know of. You disagree with his opinions about basketball for crying-out-loud.

Don't mean to focus it all on you but the stupid, middle school level put downs around here really are annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom