Certain wcbb coaches, take note. | The Boneyard

Certain wcbb coaches, take note.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Two players on the Indiana Pacers team were fined for flopping in a game vs. Miami.

No Oscar for either, but fines of $10,000 and $5,000.

Not only are some refs catching on, but apparently evaluating the quality of the flops.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You beat me to it, Kib. I was about to post the same thing. The time has come to remove flopping from the game.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
This is great, but the fines were too low.

Reaction Score
At the college level fines wouldn't be appropriate, but a two or even a three foul shot technical would be. Add in the embarrassment and the anger of the coach, that should put it to a halt even for the likes of Mabrey and others who consider flops an important part of their repertoire.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The fines compound with each infraction. That is why one was $10,000 and one was $5,000.

Reaction Score

The average salary in the WNBA is $72,000 ranging from $36,000 to $105,000. $10,000 dollars for the second infraction is approximately 1/7 of their salary for most players. Frankly, that number seems pretty high to me and a good deterrent.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
PL: These were fines on NBA players, not WNBA. I am sure WNBA fines would be scaled down appropriately.

Reaction Score
The only reason there is so much flopping is because it works. If the officials are gullible enough to think that someone like Moriah Jefferson can knock over a Danielle Adams size player, then they are the problem, not the players. There is no need for fines, just better officiating. When the defense flops, and it is called properly (or ignored ) it hurts the defense, and eventually will stop.

Reaction Score
Thanks bruinbball, I totally missed that one....thought the numbers were outrageous.

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
Still no credibility ......until they call LeBron for flopping and traveling .... it's just a farce.

Reaction Score
Still no credibility .until they call LeBron for flopping and traveling .... it's just a farce.

the NBA is entertainment..... defensive 3 second, traveling is rarely called properly, special treatment for stars, etc. The goal is more dunks, not fundamental basketball.... sure it is a farce

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Not only were the fines low, they pretty much only have fined the players who are really bad at flopping (look awkward doing it), so that the flop is obvious.
The truly egregious floppers like Ginobili, Tony Parker, Bellinelli etc. have so far gotten a free ride so far.
It would be fantastic if flopping can be reduced in the game of basketball!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
To paraphrase Nigel Tufnel, it's a fine line between flopping and getting legitimately knocked on your butt. Prolly have to be pretty blatant to actually get called in wcbb.

Reaction Score
To paraphrase Nigel Tufnel, it's a fine line between flopping and getting legitimately knocked on your butt. Prolly have to be pretty blatant to actually get called in wcbb.
We have no shortage of blatant ones.

Reaction Score
Flopping is often in the eye of the beholder, and usually the accusing beholder is rooting for the opposing team. And Moriah could indeed knock over Danielle Adams, depending upon the Danielle's positioning and balance at the moment of contact, or if Moriah were traveling at close to her maximum speed.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It often comes down to the ever difficult block / charge call, but officials "can" and should ignore obvious flops. I still think watching a team do pre-tip flopping practice and have the ref's joking with them about it - which I witnessed around 12 years ago as a completely neutral observer just passing through Durham and catching 2 games at a (charitable) Duke in-season tournament - always struck me as over the top, although they flopped a lot less during the game. After all, if you flop and no foul is called you are at a serious disadvantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom