Carolyn Peck | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Carolyn Peck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She didn't say they would win. She just said the outcome would've been different. A different outcome would've been any outcome where we didn't lose by 12... that includes losing by 30 or 5.
Uconn won. The only different outcome would be, they lost.

Reaction Score
I am one of UCONN's biggest fans but, the things you stated in this post about Mitchell and Williams are not true, imo.
Mitchell does not even deserve to be SEC POY this year and her 2 games against Conn. She was a non factor and as great a player that Dawn Staley was.I am a fan of hers since her Virginia playing days but IMO the guards for SC have not gotten better in the last 2 years.JMO Williams from South Florida is better than Mitchell.Just watch her against Conn.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of Peck, however, trying for objectivity, ESPN announcers can't just talk about UCONN. They have to extol the positives of other teams. Often it seems like there is CT, then all the rest, and they ignore CT to "make a game of it" with the rest of women's basketball. I understand this, but heck, it's fun getting all cranked up here on the Boneyard among fellow devotees. In the end, the results will speak-period.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mitchell does not even deserve to be SEC POY this year and her 2 games against Conn. She was a non factor and as great a player that Dawn Staley was.I am a fan of hers since her Virginia playing days but IMO the guards for SC have not gotten better in the last 2 years. JMO Williams from South Florida is better than Mitchell.Just watch her against Conn.
Just a little ( Non-UCONN centric) research would confirm that Wilson was named SEC player of the year for this year already.
If we are going to judge other players by how they play just against UCONN who sould UCONN players be judged against?
http://www.secsports.com/article/14875545/2016-sec-women-basketball-awards

Reaction Score
I feel she is anti UConn, even when covering our games. She is absolutely delusional about the SEC. After stating their semi final was akin to the Final Four, she also tweeted UK and Tenn were two of the hottest teams in the SEC. Really ??

Maybe she is smarter than we think ? Making outrageous statements to create a buzz about herself. Nah !!!

Reaction Score
Tiffany Mitchell will be judged on her performance in the next month, not the last 5. Does she deserve stats-wise to be a first-team AA? No. Does any of that matter if she gets her team to the NC game? No. Guards matter come March/April. Judgment does too.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="UConn79, post: 1606595, member: 5791.... After stating their semi final was akin to the Final Four, she also tweeted UK and Tenn were two of the hottest teams in the SEC. Really ?? ...

/QUOTE]
Talk about damning with faint praise...:cool:

Reaction Score
25% of the Sweet 16 is nothing to sneeze at.

Sluconn Husky- - - Yes, but if you watch the SEC games it isn't necessarily the best BB you'll see.
Almost all of the games are played in the 50's to low 60's = lousy offenses, multi turnovers, leaky defenses, etc.
And I know that SoCar beat KY yesterday 93 to 63, but really the 93 points were the exception, not the rule.
Teams like UCONN, theOSU, Baylor, ND, MD, and others are capable of scoring in the mid to high 80's every game and the SEC cannot play great defense and/or score above 65 to 70 points necessary to beat those schools!
Charlie C. gives them way to much credit. The idea that TN remains a 7 seed is ridiculous, they are an 8 or 9 seed at most!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The "pundits" have claimed all season the SEC is the best/ toughest conference. So Carolyn will continue her "commentary" as long as an SEC team is in the hunt. That's what she's paid to do.

But she really is clueless so many times.

Reaction Score
And there will still be cries of it being overrated... No idea why the SEC hate is so strong... it's not the conference with 3 teams in the top 10 (or 12)
I'm still seething the greatest basketball conference in the land was broken up and the greatest WBB program in history is stuck where they are.

Perhaps I aim some of that at the SEC's hype machine. Success by default has always irked me.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
She didn't say they would win. She just said the outcome would've been different. A different outcome would've been any outcome where we didn't lose by 12... that includes losing by 30 or 5.
Her inference is that if South Carolina had played against UConn the way they are playing now, the outcome of their Feb. 9th game would have gone better for them, which is patently absurd to anyone who watched that game. South Carolina doesn't have the offensive firepower to defeat UConn and they don't play defense well enough. UConn can score from all five positions on the floor and they are the best defensive team in WCBB, as the numbers prove. What Geno does better than any coach in America is take away what his opponents do best and force them to adjust, which is what he did to South Carolina. He took away the hi-lo game of Wilson and Coates, By guarding Coates up top with Tuck and Wilson with Stewart and he forced Sessions to be a scorer, a role which she is completely incapable of filling. They also forced Tina Roy to put the ball on the floor and not allow her to drift around the 3-pt line for spot up jumpers. It was the same last season and it won't be any different the next time or the next 10 times, despite what Carolyn Peck thinks or says.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Mitchell does not even deserve to be SEC POY this year and her 2 games against Conn. She was a non factor and as great a player that Dawn Staley was.I am a fan of hers since her Virginia playing days but IMO the guards for SC have not gotten better in the last 2 years.JMO Williams from South Florida is better than Mitchell.Just watch her against Conn.
I agree that Williams is a lot better. Mitchell won't be SEC player of the year. However, she is not as bad as the post stated, imo.

Reaction Score
I can take or leave Carolyn Peck much the same as toward Dick Vitale - each have a shtick that is their brand, but its often distracting, calling too much attention to themselves and away from the action at hand. Peck is occasionally prone to malapropism, which I guess only matters if you're paying attention. Today she called Mississippi St. the "Ole Miss Bulldogs". LOL :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The "pundits" have claimed all season the SEC is the best/ toughest conference. So Carolyn will continue her "commentary" as long as an SEC team is in the hunt. That's what she's paid to do.

But she really is clueless so many times.

Yeah I know, unfortunately "the pundits" have been wrong for a while now. They haven't won a NC from that Conf. in what, 8 years now?

Reaction Score
Just a little ( Non-UCONN centric) research would confirm that Wilson was named SEC player of the year for this year already.
If we are going to judge other players by how they play just against UCONN who sould UCONN players be judged against?
http://www.secsports.com/article/14875545/2016-sec-women-basketball-awards
SC guards didnt play well against the best team in the country.That why they lost by 25 last year and 12 this year and that didnt show the the real game.wasnt as close as score indicated.None of the guards for SC looked like they improved.AAs show up for big games and she didnt.If it wasnt for Welch last year they would have lost by 35.By the way the SEC is way overrated because of people like Carolyn Peck who if I remember correctly was an asst under Pat Summit before going to Purdue.Didnt see who won until you told me.She is not an AA this year either and I hope the selection committee realizes it.

it was

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FWIW. When i watch a game, any game, I want to know who fouled, is it a jump ball, how many fouls does this make for this player, how many timeouts left,..........on and on. Things that are important. All that fill in junk the announcers yak about (INCLUDING C.PECK) is unfortunately a waste of my listening time and human static noise. We usually turn the sound way down on 75% of the games after 10 minutes because of the running of the mouth syndrome and psuedo-coaching. Maybe their husbands/wives don't let em talk much at home..? Who knows.
Straight-up and honest, only 10% of the announcers are worth giving heed to (Megan Culmo being one). Its like every store in the world needs backround trash music (Sarcastic).....not, not, not! Sorry, just saying.

Reaction Score
I have to agree with UKonnfan on everything with one exception. If the game is broadcast by ESPN I have to turn the sound off at the tip, I can't wait 10 minutes. The ESPN announcers are without a doubt the most tedious and annoying of any on tv. They continue to babble about everything and anything except what is happening in the game. So to prevent me screaming at the ESPN "play by play" announcers I find it much better just to shut the sound off. Going back a few years we used to be able to listen to Bob Joyce on wtic and watch the game on TV but can't now because of time delay. I am thankful that many of the games are broadcast by sny.

Reaction Score
It used to be that one announcer was play-by-play and the other was color. So one person was a least reporting on the details of the game. Now it seems they have two announcers both trying to be chatty in between promoting upcoming events! It is sometimes difficult to determine who got a foul or who is being subbed for. I have wished that they would at least shut up so that I could hear the arena announcer! :rolleyes: I do find the SNY crew better at following the action and interrupting a story for the actual game events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom