Caroline in Concussion Protocol | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caroline in Concussion Protocol

Reaction Score
In practice Monday??? Wasn't she icing her head at the Marquette game?
Protocols: Concussions, ACL's: Kids, don't try this at home. Somebody recommended soft helmets for practices. Caroline, the latest victim, just as she was getting going. Gloom and doom, what's that?

Reaction Score
In practice? Seriously?

Just unbelievable. No other team. None. Have these issues.

Reaction Score
Maybe UConn's notoriously tough practices could be dialed down a bit. We are snake bit for sure. People keep saying when UConn gets healthy, look out. When or if?
I believe in a recent interview Geno indicated that practices had been dialed back.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I believe they also had a basketball player, Jamie Carey, who was ruled out for her career by their medical staff, but wound up playing at Texas.
Jamie also went on to play for the Connecticut Sun in the W.

Reaction Score
Stanford had a star volleyball player medically retire after several concussions. It did not turn out well for Stanford, as she sued the school. Wishing the best for Caroline
Did Stanford force her to play volleyball? What would she sue Stamford for?

Reaction Score
Unbelievable. Get well soon.

I don't think you necessarily need a concussion to enter into the protocol, or do you? A brain scan is the only way to know for sure. I just thought it is a judgement call in most cases. True or not?

Reaction Score
For those interested.. from verywellhealth.com

CDC Guidelines​

The CDC’s concussion protocol details a gradual timeline for return to normal activities, school, and athletics. Progress is monitored at every stage, with doctors clearing patients for more activity once they’re certain it’s safe. For athletes, it can be broken into six stages, following an initial rest period of 28 to 72 hours:4

• Rest and return to limited activity: Ensuring adequate rest and avoiding exertion is the first stage. Once you’re clear to return to school or work, screen time should be limited. The aim is to return to physical activities that aren’t risky, such as short, 10-minute walks.
  • Light aerobic exercise: Once light activity is reincorporated and symptoms subside further, the aim is to do exercise to boost heart rate. This might mean walking, swimming, or using a stationary bicycle for 20 minutes at 70% of your maximum heart rate.
  • Sport-specific exercise: Gradually, exercises associated with the specific source are reintroduced. This might mean noncontact activities like running sprints or doing skating drills.
  • Noncontact drills: Once it’s safe to do so, athletes begin to engage in more strenuous drills and start strengthening and resistance training.
  • Full-contact practice: Before being allowed to return to competition, with the doctor’s OK, the athlete takes part in full-contact training and practice and is carefully monitored after each practice.
  • Return to play: As long as there are no symptoms or issues following practice and a final evaluation, the athlete is cleared for competition.

sun

Reaction Score
I know this thread is about Caroline’s concussion protocol, but could this lead to Azzi seeing some action sooner?
Nope, but it could affect the PT of the bench players.

Reaction Score
yup. carey went on to play in wnba i believe, she was good.

i think she might have sued stanford too ... or threatened to.
PacoSwede- - -Jamie Carey didn't sue but had to get a release from Stanford clearing both parties!
She then transferred to TX where their Doctors cleared her to play!
She was really good!

Reaction Score
PacoSwede- - -Jamie Carey didn't sue but had to get a release from Stanford clearing both parties!
She then transferred to TX where their Doctors cleared her to play!
She was really good!
My interest in University of Texas women's basketball ended with the Sedona Prince injury story.
Negative for Texas, positive for Oregon. Have a great WNBA career, Sedona!

Reaction Score
Maybe UConn's notoriously tough practices could be dialed down a bit. We are snake bit for sure. People keep saying when UConn gets healthy, look out. When or if?
Good point. So far this year we have Edward's broken nose, Ice Brady's knee, Caroline's concussion, and Inez's 7 head stitchs all coming in practice. With Paige's knee issue coming in a pick up game, this can also be included. I normally don't believe in coinsidences but having a hard time understanding these stats.

Reaction Score
Good point. So far this year we have Edward's broken nose, Ice Brady's knee, Caroline's concussion, and Inez's 7 head stitchs all coming in practice. With Paige's knee issue coming in a pick up game, this can also be included. I normally don't believe in coinsidences but having a hard time understanding these stats.
Brady's knee happened in a scrimmage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom