Candid Coaches: Is it better for UConn to stay in the Big East or try to join the Big 12 or ACC? | The Boneyard

Candid Coaches: Is it better for UConn to stay in the Big East or try to join the Big 12 or ACC?

Reaction Score
From CBSSports.com. Coaches overwhelmingly say stay in the Big East, 77% to 23%. Of course if you asked ADs I bet the answers would be flipped.

"They're synonymous with the Big East. I know football has to factor in, but UConn has to be about basketball. If you look at the past 25 years, they're the best national power we have."

Is that from another Big East coach?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
From CBSSports.com. Coaches overwhelmingly say stay in the Big East, 77% to 23%. Of course if you asked ADs I bet the answers would be flipped.

"They're synonymous with the Big East. I know football has to factor in, but UConn has to be about basketball. If you look at the past 25 years, they're the best national power we have."

Norlander actually decimated the notion we were flirting with Meh12 too

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

We made more money in AAC than the BigEast got. LOL.

Reaction Score
ACC will die once Clemson and FSU leave, why go there? Big 12 is third best conference and doesn’t serve the footprint. Either stay in the Big East where we win championships or go to Big Ten if we ever get invited. All these cable companies are drying up money wise such as ESPN and cannot demand big money unless you are SEC/Big Ten/Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
I would stay in the Big East, and keep playing an interesting football schedule, trying to attract dissatisfied 2nd and 3rd stringers from P4 schools through the transfer portal. Try to pick up a Randy Moss and a Tony Romo.

Reaction Score
Our realignment is hindered by football performance… we need to be better than we were in the old Big East days if we want to be scooped up by the Big Ten which is a dream. I’ve always envisioned us in the ACC with Cuse and Pitt but it’s not viable long term. Ticket sales and viewership are determined by wins… every game is a must win. Every P5 game should be taken as a playoff game that means something. Big East has been great since we joined. Even being an independent hasn’t been horrible. Our AD would say otherwise. But even if we hang out here for a while we need to win if we want those massive $ buy games

Reaction Score
I'm a football and basketball fan but the real reason I wanted the move was not because of football. It's my concern about the next Big East tv deal. These other conferences are getting more and more money from tv networks. They are also taking up more time slots. I struggle to see where the Big East fits.

Reaction Score

It is certainly better for other Big East coaches for UConn to be in the Big East.

Reaction Score
I'm a football and basketball fan but the real reason I wanted the move was not because of football. It's my concern about the next Big East tv deal. These other conferences are getting more and more money from tv networks. They are also taking up more time slots. I struggle to see where the Big East fits.
It's a fair concern, but counterargument would be

Basketball-only content is a fraction of the cost compared to football and live content is still king. The PAC-12 received the Big 12 deal first, so there's demand for live content of all shapes and sizes and basketball only doesn't have the same cost requirements.

Also for TV slots, the PAC 12 survivors in B12 and B10 are now adding content to the Peacock and ESPN+ slots for this go around and the rest of the P12 are probably headed for either ACCN or Apple TV so no impact to the Big East today.

The biggest issue I've seen mentioned is if the Big 10 moves to 22 conference games. That's the biggest threat to the Big East today in terms of TV slots.

Reaction Score
Also factor in the buy games and it is likely pretty close. For future it would be best to be in a power conference that pays better and gets national attention.

Reaction Score
In strictly TV revenue sure. When you factor in uptick in attendance, donations, NCAA tourney credits, and not paying ESPN+ production costs it probably tilts in favor of Big East.
Haven't the donations increased by something crazy like $20M more than 2016? I thought there was an article about it within the past few weeks by Mike Anthony

Reaction Score
Haven't the donations increased by something crazy like $20M more than 2016? I thought there was an article about it within the past few weeks by Mike Anthony
UConn athletic donations in 2023: 28 million
UConn athletic donations in 2016: 7 million

I don't remember the recent article this is from, but that is telling. If we get that number closer to 50 million, we will be absolutely fine.
Now this period also coincides with David Benedict's arrival so I wouldn't necessarily attribute that entirely to AAC --> Big East move. It probably is a combination of

1) Having a competent Athletic Director
2) Donations now being included in Basketball ticket prices
3) The move to the Big East increasing interest in athletics including increase basketball ticket sales & general donations due to increased interest in the entire AD

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If the Pac-12 fully dissolves, that is one less major basketball league to compete with regarding TV slots. If there are only 5 major basketball conferences, we will definitely be on TV.

Reaction Score
ACC will not be what is today after their current contract expires in a couple of years. FSU,Miami,Clemson will be gone. No school that left the Big East was better afterwards including UConn.

Reaction Score
Uconn in the big east makes us special…it changes if we join another conference

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
ACC will not be what is today after their current contract expires in a couple of years. FSU,Miami,Clemson will be gone. No school that left the Big East was better afterwards including UConn.
All true. But it also won't be the PAC10. It'll still be a viable conference, albeit having to take a haircut $-wise. Still, it's more than UConn is making. And if it comes to the point where P4 becomes P3, it's probably better to be inside the P4 than outside.

Reaction Score
“If the Big 12 comes calling again, or the ACC starts calling someday, more than three quarters of the coaches we asked said UConn should leave well enough alone, politely pass and just stay put.”

Lol ok dude.

IMG_4576.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom