Can We Expect a Turnaround Next Year? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Can We Expect a Turnaround Next Year?

Reaction Score
Um, it might just be me but we have to get better to win games. ;)

Just what have you enjoyed this season? The victories or the full house crowds? No attack but our party has found the tailgates the most enjoyable part of the games this season. We actually enjoy and missed the band for a game.
Normal has a wide definitional meaning depending on who considers themselves normal. On a real note I am glad you are enjoying the season so far. :confused:

You poor thing.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about NIL or collectives because a bigger problem is coming: Congress/the Supreme Court will likely rule that all Division 1 revenue athletes (m/w basketball, football, some baseball or hockey) are employees and deem them to at least make minimum wage. NIL will go back to its original purpose: advertising sponsorships for the top .1% of college athletes. Everything will need to be on the books when revenue athletes are considered employees. The battle (if there is no salary cap) will be who has the most money to spend on football and basketball players. I feel like it is going to be a lot like European soccer or MLB. The biggest brands will have the most money and pay the most.

Reaction Score
What is he supposed to do? Only thing I can think of is go down to the state house in Hartford and meet with legislators one by one.

I hear a lot of "hasn't done nothing" but then I hear nothing about what he was supposed to do.

Would it satiate that itch if he went down to the library and got a loud speaker and announced charlton's firing?

What is he supposed to do?
Part of it is just working with the state in a better fashion generally. The way we pay for the Rent and XL is absurd. But specifically for football, somehow someway he needs to get the hiring right. We’ve failed miserably at that for 15 years and it’s inexcusable. Plenty of other schools do more with less and yet time and time again we run up our deficit hiring awful coaches. Mora was a great find but he needs a competent supporting cast yesterday.

Reaction Score
What is he supposed to do? Only thing I can think of is go down to the state house in Hartford and meet with legislators one by one.

I hear a lot of "hasn't done nothing" but then I hear nothing about what he was supposed to do.

Would it satiate that itch if he went down to the library and got a loud speaker and announced charlton's firing?

I’m curious - what do you think he is supposed to do?

Reaction Score
There seems to now be a well defined pattern to UConn FB:
Last year was a turn around from 2021;
This year appears to be a turn around from 2022; so yes
2024 should be another turn around year.

Reaction Score

For starters, win some games, then get over 500, and get invited to a bowl.

If not, then beat UMass and SHU, and maybe one other team.

Reaction Score
There are teams out there doing better with less resources and talent. So yes, we could do better.

Can we expect it? Absolutely not.

We're going to be brutalized by the portal.
How are we gonna be brutalized? Who outside of Rosa would teams be willing to take?

Reaction Score
I think if we can get in the MAC with umass for football only… we jump at that opportunity

Reaction Score
I think if we can get in the MAC with umass for football only… we jump at that opportunity
Intriguing but ultimately I don't think there's enough positives for us to do that. Keep in mind that the MAC tv deal has alot of midweek games during the second half of the season. Not great for attendance or tailgating.

Reaction Score
I’m curious - what do you think he is supposed to do?
You're the one who has claiming he hasn't done anything to make the program better. In that it presumes you know what he should be doing.

----

But if you're being honest in this the thing I'd do is go out and press the flesh on gamedays and talk to people and see where they are on things. Sure a lot of people, just like us, are cranks but a few people will see an insight others aren't seeing and press forward on that. Sure, you gotta be with the money people during the game but I'd roll on down 8AM on a noon start and work the parking lot.

I take the position that you can deal with the big things but you'll often miss the little stuff that matters that requires a bit of hustle and a bit of open thinking.

Reaction Score
There is good and bad humor. Nothing is funny for what diehard fans are experiencing this year. No attack just the fact.

Reaction Score
There were 82 bowl teams last season....

Getting to a bowl game seems to be a reasonable goal.

Beating a P5 seems to be a reasonable goal...Cuse, Wake, and Duke are on 2024 schedule.

Upgrading talent seems a reasonable goal...The Rivals Comprehensive Class Rankings (Portal and Recruits Combined) as an index. Shoot to be ranked in the top 90.

Finding or developing a modern, mobile quarterback with a good arm, but more importantly who can see the field and process that information quickly. A goal to be checked off.

Winning...Shoot for back to back winning seasons to build on. Energized fan bases come with winning.

Reaction Score
With UConn FB seemingly headed for a one or two win season, what are the prospects for next year?

I am guessing that it will depend on five things:
  1. Financial condition of the UConn Collective(s)
  2. Allocation from the Collective(s) to football for salaries and signing bonuses
  3. Loss of key personnel to the portal
  4. Quality of incoming personnel from the portal
  5. Development of non-transferring personnel
Roll all those up and what do you think?

Btw, my opinion is that for those who think that all UConn has to do is raise more cash earmarked for FB in the Collective(s), I think you are missing the point. Your argument implies that UConn does not know how to raise money. I think that is patently untrue, they are world class at it.

I think that it is more like UConn's rise in BB came a long time prior to the oughts decade which marked UConn's initial rise in FB. Thus the donor base has always been geared more towards BB. Additionally, BB wins natties which no one believes will ever happen with FB. That, and so much more money is required for FB due to the number of players means that the mission with FB is just to get it competitive enough that UConn can get a P4 invite. That's not really glamorous and the BB donors are happy with the BE anyway. seem
Even at 0-5, I don’t agree with your level of negativity. I think we beat SHU and UMess, and have chances for wins over Rice, JMU, and South Florida.

Reaction Score
Not everyone moves up.
Kids want to be on a winning team, so moving down is an option. If you start losing those depth kids that you've put 1 or more years into developing, it takes its toll. Mora wants alot of kids on the team(120?), with the idea that over time some will contribute from the "bottom" 20-40. Start turning those PWO's and last scholarship kids over and it'll add up.

Reaction Score
I'm not worried about NIL or collectives because a bigger problem is coming: Congress/the Supreme Court will likely rule that all Division 1 revenue athletes (m/w basketball, football, some baseball or hockey) are employees and deem them to at least make minimum wage. NIL will go back to its original purpose: advertising sponsorships for the top .1% of college athletes. Everything will need to be on the books when revenue athletes are considered employees. The battle (if there is no salary cap) will be who has the most money to spend on football and basketball players. I feel like it is going to be a lot like European soccer or MLB. The biggest brands will have the most money and pay the most.
I'm not sure why they don't just make each program it's own co-op at this point. Use net revenue, pay out 15-25% of their earnings each year and then when you leave the team through graduation, the draft, or transfer you're paid out the balance. The longer you've been in the program the larger share of the revenue you receive. You could even throw out perks like getting a "company car" after your third year in the program, bonuses tied to graduating (maybe it increases your total payout by a certain percentage?) It would definitely lower the number of transfers.

I'm sure coaches don't want this because it doesn't help you land that 5* recruit that wants all their cash up front. Athletic departments probably don't want it because it'll look bad on their books. But I do think it would make things more "fair"

Reaction Score
Even at 0-5, I don’t agree with your level of negativity. I think we beat SHU and UMess, and have chances for wins over Rice, JMU, and South Florida.
Oh, gosh, the dreaded negativity!! Give us all a break. Every time someone uses that word I want to puke. Grow up. Have you heard of small goals first? In hockey it is called one shift at a time. It is a concept that often needs mastering.

Reaction Score
Oh, gosh, the dreaded negativity!! Give us all a break. Every time someone uses that word I want to puke. Grow up. Have you heard of small goals first? In hockey it is called one shift at a time. It is a concept that often needs mastering.
Oh ok, small goal’s first. Got it. I guess you’re ok with one field goal too. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Inchstones, making one's bed in the morning (Admiral McRaven). One field goal would be a step back, so no.

Reaction Score
Great campus, lot going on, lots of high ranked teams, great facilities. Not sure what you mean other than the recent record. My sense is that money always works.
Money always works. Any news on any blue chipper heading to Storrs on a sweet NIL deal? I have not heard of any.

Reaction Score
As a further disadvantage, an off campus, third rate stadium. Low attendance, most fans always dress for Halloween disguised as empty seats, very hard to see any difference makers wanting to play for this program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom