Can Bre Raise Her Game? | The Boneyard

Can Bre Raise Her Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller has labeled Breanna Stewart "Miss March," meaning that she raises her game at this time of the year. But can she raise her game higher still after her best season ever? We've been speculating on the upside for the freshmen lately, but not considering if others can and will raise their games in crunch time. For awhile Kia and Morgan seemed to be tanking; those ships have been righted (sigh). What about Bre? Assuming that the games get tougher somewhere down the line, what can we expect Stewart to do about it? Of course she'll be playing longer minutes, so her numbers should increase incrementally. But can she take over a close game and win it for UConn? Or is the wealth on this team so spread out that no heroics will be needed? Will the players just pick up whatever slack there may be? Does this team need someone at the buzzer, and who would you want it to be?

Reaction Score
Or is the wealth on this team so spread out that no heroics will be needed? Will the players just pick up whatever slack there may be? Does this team need someone at the buzzer, and who would you want it to be?

That would be my preference.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Mo may need to raise her game since she's the floor general

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree, Ice. They were devastating in the last game and I still feel like there's more in the tank.

Reaction Score
Several weeks ago I posted a column I read and for the life of me I can't remember who wrote it, but it was a well-known BB person. That if/when UCONN gets to the FF in Indianapolis the team will be playing at another level and that anyone they play in Semi's or Finals will see the Big 3, Stewie, MoJeff, & Tuck play like they've never played before and no-one stands a chance vs UCONN! Those 3 especially, the person says, will be so psyched that the 4th Championship is at hand, and will tear the opposition apart and WOW everyone with inspired BB and the other players will also step-up their game!
Forgive my 68 year old memory but I can't remember the name.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mo's shot seems off. I would not expected that to continue. Stewie can still raise her offensive game. Her defense now is so extraordinary I don't believe it can get measurably better. This year I brelieve that Stewie has been a true team leader and sacrificed her offense for the greater good of team development, much as D did in her last year. You can see glimpses of this when another team gets a minirun going and Stewie says enough and puts on moves that leave mouths agape. Geno has said she barely tries and gets triple doubles - he said it sorta ruefully but it emphasizes a point: when she wants something, you are not going to stop her.

Kia coming on strong. Morgan looking fluid and dropping threes. Lou - comfortable, aggressive understudy of The Great One.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Its tournamnet time and UCONN always raises it game to another level. Geno uses the entire season to prep for these games.

Our opponents not only have to worry about the Big 3 but Kia and Lou as well. We are at that time when on any given night, anyone of the five starters can torch you for big numbers.

Can defenses afford to pack the paint to stop Stewie and Morgan? Probably not. Stewie will take the 15 footer or the 3. Morgan seems to have her 3 back. If you choose to guard them outside, both have the skill to go by you into the paint to score or get to the line with a foul.

Same thing applies to Kia and Lou. Shot outside. Guard them outside and they can go by you for the short jumper - especially Lou.

And Moriah is Moriah. Shoot the 3, shoot the mid range or blow by for a layup.

Then there is UCONN defense. Good luck to our opponents. Its lock down time!

Reaction Score
Several weeks ago I posted a column I read and for the life of me I can't remember who wrote it, but it was a well-known BB person. That if/when UCONN gets to the FF in Indianapolis the team will be playing at another level and that anyone they play in Semi's or Finals will see the Big 3, Stewie, MoJeff, & Tuck play like they've never played before and no-one stands a chance vs UCONN! Those 3 especially, the person says, will be so psyched that the 4th Championship is at hand, and will tear the opposition apart and WOW everyone with inspired BB and the other players will also step-up their game! Forgive my 68 year old memory but I can't remember the name.
I don't believe for one second that UConn is so much better than anyone else on a given Monday night, because no matter how good UConn is, the ball bounces as it does; I also don't believe that players significantly raise their game: I think that's appearances and that great coaches get their players to play as great as they can nearly all the time, and that includes ND, Baylor and SC. Finally, I don't think we can any longer speak of the Big 3, unless you want to bump one of them, because Lou has arrived. The only remaining question is whether she will show up in a game with so much on the line. My strong sense is that she will. UConn now puts 4 AA's on the court (not to overlook Kia's remarkable talents, nor Gabby's: they are both AAs down the line). And yet, the ball will bounce as it will, the undefeated Patriots would be upset when a ball stuck to the helmet of a guy who would never make another catch in the NFL.....

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm waiting for Stewie to bring me much joy on her way out, for Katie Lou to continue living up to her billing like it ain't no thang, and for Uconn to mess with our supposed mojo by pushing the streak further along than its current 68.

Reaction Score
I don't believe UConn needs to consciously attempt to raise their game. It is just happening. Even though yesterday Tulane was a weak test, I thought UConn's defense was noticeably more intense and the offensive execution was very crisp. I doubt that they will see much man defense because Auriemma will just run the offense thru Stewart as in the second half of the last USF game. And now that she got rid of the brace, Tuck is quicker and moving better than she has all season. Anyone that UConn has played in the last two years won't beat them because Auriemma will adjust his game plan as needed. I think it will take a good team that he hasn't seen to push them and UConn will have to shoot as they did in that first half against USF. In the end I don't think Stewart will let them lose.

Reaction Score
Several weeks ago I posted a column I read and for the life of me I can't remember who wrote it, but it was a well-known BB person. That if/when UCONN gets to the FF in Indianapolis the team will be playing at another level and that anyone they play in Semi's or Finals will see the Big 3, Stewie, MoJeff, & Tuck play like they've never played before and no-one stands a chance vs UCONN! Those 3 especially, the person says, will be so psyched that the 4th Championship is at hand, and will tear the opposition apart and WOW everyone with inspired BB and the other players will also step-up their game!
Forgive my 68 year old memory but I can't remember the name.

Jim Fuller, New Haven Register Reporter . He voiced this opinion on the All Access " Season in Review" produced by SNY and aired last week.

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller, New Haven Register Reporter . He voiced this opinion on the All Access " Season in Review" produced by SNY and aired last week.
Now there's an unbiased opinion! :)

Reaction Score
I don't believe UConn needs to consciously attempt to raise their game. It is just happening. Even though yesterday Tulane was a weak test, I thought UConn's defense was noticeably more intense and the offensive execution was very crisp. I doubt that they will see much man defense because Auriemma will just run the offense thru Stewart as in the second half of the last USF game. And now that she got rid of the brace, Tuck is quicker and moving better than she has all season. Anyone that UConn has played in the last two years won't beat them because Auriemma will adjust his game plan as needed. I think it will take a good team that he hasn't seen to push them and UConn will have to shoot as they did in that first half against USF. In the end I don't think Stewart will let them lose.
Interestingly, as the presser after last night, Geno said that his kids got the same shots the last game against Tulane and they just weren't dropping. He said if the two games were reversed, we'd be saying they played great last time but terrible last night, but the only difference was about shots dropping or not.

HGN

Reaction Score
Stewie raises her game when she thinks its necessary...........But when the starting 5 are on their game no one can beat them. The key seems to be when they are all clicking in that 1st qtr. When they are ALL clicking no one can double Stewie or Tuck in the paint. And that's like signing your death warrant.

The Sweet 16 is when tests will start. If we can get past that in good shape and make the FF , UConn should be clicking on all cylinders. Absent of foul trouble the team is in good health. Which probably makes other teams in UConn's bracket sick.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do think Uconn raises their game as a team because starting about a week ago, the coaches all shifted from criticism to praise, from harping on deficiencies to building confidence. The practices are no longer about pushing boundaries, but about little tweaks, and nuances. And the games have become about rhythm and momentum - we will see more complete second unit play rather than experiments with 3 starters and two bench players so as not to mess up the rhythm of the main rotational players.

ND is probably doing the same thing - they have it down as well. I am not sure about Dawn, and Kim is dealing with a younger team.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This team has been drilled and drilled and drilled in practice and this is the time of the year when the pressure is on what they've been taught becomes reflexive. I expect everybody to shine for the next couple of weeks. This is what they've practiced so hard to do. This is UConn Time.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
They are all raising their game.

They are. And I think Stewies game is as high as it needs to be for college. The only game raising she would want is for the next level.

Reaction Score
I still remember DT saying last year "If you want to beat Stewie for the championship, you better do it this year, you won't do it next year." Just my opinion , but I expect Stewie, along with Mo, and Tuck to leave us with a Final Four that will go down in history, as the greatest team ever.

Reaction Score
Interestingly, as the presser after last night, Geno said that his kids got the same shots the last game against Tulane and they just weren't dropping. He said if the two games were reversed, we'd be saying they played great last time but terrible last night, but the only difference was about shots dropping or not.

If folks watch the replays, they will see some amazing sets/plays/moves that just didn't drop for points in tha parts of games when UConn didn't 'play well'. Certainly, that is different than many teams that dribble around for 25 seconds and then throw up an ill-conceived shot.

Same result-no points, but in UConn's case, if they keep doing what they are doing, their shots will drop at a higher frequency than those with no prep or game plan.

I believe UConn began raising its game dramatically from the end of January on. The eye test says we are seeing players do things regularly on both sides of the ball, that are simply at a higher level.

Reaction Score
I agree Intpseeker: the starting 5 is now set, and impressively so, with Lou playing increasingly well. But of course, with the exception of the South Carolina game, all of our games against major ranked teams came at a time when they, too, were playing around with line-ups and strategies. I guess we'll find out if we've improved as much or more than they have.

Reaction Score
While we are entering the most important time of the year, Geno has said repeatedly that "We cannot control WHO we play; we can only control HOW we play." Excellence of execution and effort has been demanded of every UConn athlete for every opponent this season. Nothing changes. Coach has been priming the pump all year, specifically for the days and weeks ahead.

Stewie and the rest of the "guys" (as Geno calls them) do not need to all of a sudden play at another, higher level. They just need to play with the same outstanding intensity and energy, and maintain the same level of excellence (save for a few aberrational quarters) with which they have so far performed this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle