Calhoun looking good | The Boneyard

Calhoun looking good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No this isn't about Omar, we all know he'll get his 20 per game this season. A buddy of mine met Jim Calhoun at some function today and got a picture with him. Calhoun looks more youthful than he did before he retired and really looks good for his age. I wondered how he would handle retirement, it's clearly been very good to him.

Reaction Score
No this isn't about Omar, we all know he'll get his 20 per game this season. A buddy of mine met Jim Calhoun at some function today and got a picture with him. Calhoun looks more youthful than he did before he retired and really looks good for his age. I wondered how he would handle retirement, it's clearly been very good to him.
My buddy also got a pic with him , @ stubhubs offices in east granby it think . Looked great in the pic he sent me, don't think he got in the questions I asked him to lol

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Happy to hear this! Sometimes I thought "retirement" would be difficult for him but he seems to be
making that adjustment well. He must be pleased with where KO is bringing this program now.
I really don't know very much about the coaching philosophy and techniques of Red Auerbach but I read
that he had a big influence on JC. In the Wikipedia write-up on Red it says he revolutionized the modern
basketball era with team play, defense and the fast break as a potent offensive weapon. This is a perhaps OT
and should maybe be a separate post but I would appreciate hearing about what those who remember the Celtics
of Red's era see in UConn today. As a youngster I remember the shot blocking of Russell and the fast break of
the Sam and KC Jones et al. It looks like we are starting to shore up the rebounding and the future looks bright
for this kind of game. In addition, KO brings all the knowledge and experience that he picked up in his travels
under different coaches in the NBA. Can't wait for this season.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Chief's boot camp getting some great press here.

C

Chief00

Happy to hear this! Sometimes I thought "retirement" would be difficult for him but he seems to be
making that adjustment well. He must be pleased with where KO is bringing this program now.
I really don't know very much about the coaching philosophy and techniques of Red Auerbach but I read
that he had a big influence on JC. In the Wikipedia write-up on Red it says he revolutionized the modern
basketball era with team play, defense and the fast break as a potent offensive weapon. This is a perhaps OT
and should maybe be a separate post but I would appreciate hearing about what those who remember the Celtics
of Red's era see in UConn today. As a youngster I remember the shot blocking of Russell and the fast break of
the Sam and KC Jones et al. It looks like we are starting to shore up the rebounding and the future looks bright
for this kind of game. In addition, KO brings all the knowledge and experience that he picked up in his travels
under different coaches in the NBA. Can't wait for this season.

Quite frankly, you are right that Arnold and the Celtics had a great influence on the product Calhoun put on the floor. In other posts I have broken down the fast break so I won't do it here.

Both Arnold and Calhoun were great motivators - they kept the game simple - not a million plays - but good execution on a few plays - - which had various options. They both would get a strategic technical - when the average fan might think they were out of control. Arnold often said when he got thrown out the players would win not for him but to show they could win without him.

During that era the Celtics were that good that they would be confident of winning if they were within 10 points at the start of the 4th quarter and it would start with defense.

Another thing the casual fan might not know is that both Arnold and Jim wanted their players to have fun and celebrate after victories - Arnold believed that would wire guys brains to want to win more than the other team. Jim adopted the same philosophy which might surprise some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom