Calhoun Cancer Challenge Ride & Walk - June 8th | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calhoun Cancer Challenge Ride & Walk - June 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
When we were fundraising for the Cardiac Center late last year, we mentioned that we'd arrange a get-together around the Calhoun Cancer Walk and Ride.

And so we are.

The event takes place on June 8th at the Performing Arts Center on Iron Horse Boulevard in Simsbury.

The rides start between 7:30 and 11, depending on how far you want to go, and the 5K walk starts at 11:30 - you'd obviously want to show up a little early to register, etc.

Now, if you want to do the 5K walk with the Boneyard crew, the organizers have waived the entry fee - we just have to submit your information to them via paper form. If you want to walk, send me a private message and I'll handle getting you the form and getting that form submitted.

If you want to do one of the bike rides, you'll have to pay the registration fee ($20), but you can sign up online and not have to deal with me and the paper forms. (That's worth more than $20 right there.)

For both the walk and the rides, there are minimum fund raising targets. Don't let those scare you - we'll crowdsource this whole thing and see that the donation totals cover any individual requirements.

But, remember, we're doing this a) to get together to celebrate our success in raising $33,000 for the Cardiac Center and b) to raise money for the Neag Comprehensive Cancer Center at the UConn Health Center. Both, really, are an effort to show our appreciation to Jim Calhoun.

So, towards that end, do make an effort to meet the fundraising targets.

Two years ago, four of us did the ride and raised close to $8,000...I'd imagine we can top that this year with a gaggle of us showing up.

Now, after the walking and riding are done, we'll set up a pow-wow at the venue - we're still in planning mode on that front, but rest assured, it will happen and it will be spectacular. We'll prolly have elephants! Or hamburgers.

We're also working out some sort of deal where we can present the coach with something or other.

Those are minor details.

Step one, let's fill out a team.

If you want to ride 10, 25, 50 or 75 miles, go to THIS LINK RIGHT HERE and click the Join Our Team link at the top of the page.

(To the folks who rode the 50 last time around with me, I'm not sure I'll be riding this year - I might have a quick family obligation that morning that would prevent me from getting out in time to ride....to be determined.)

If you want to walk the 5K, send me a private message and we'll arrange that paperwork together. If you want to skip dealing with me, you are welcome to sign up via the link above and join the team with the $20 registration fee.

Additional note - I believe Kevin Ollie is co-hosting this shindig, so ten toes in and all that.
When we were fundraising for the Cardiac Center late last year, we mentioned that we'd arrange a get-together around the Calhoun Cancer Walk and Ride.

And so we are.

The event takes place on June 8th at the Performing Arts Center on Iron Horse Boulevard in Simsbury.

The rides start between 7:30 and 11, depending on how far you want to go, and the 5K walk starts at 11:30 - you'd obviously want to show up a little early to register, etc.

Now, if you want to do the 5K walk with the Boneyard crew, the organizers have waived the entry fee - we just have to submit your information to them via paper form. If you want to walk, send me a private message and I'll handle getting you the form and getting that form submitted.

If you want to do one of the bike rides, you'll have to pay the registration fee ($20), but you can sign up online and not have to deal with me and the paper forms. (That's worth more than $20 right there.)

For both the walk and the rides, there are minimum fund raising targets. Don't let those scare you - we'll crowdsource this whole thing and see that the donation totals cover any individual requirements.

But, remember, we're doing this a) to get together to celebrate our success in raising $33,000 for the Cardiac Center and b) to raise money for the Neag Comprehensive Cancer Center at the UConn Health Center. Both, really, are an effort to show our appreciation to Jim Calhoun.

So, towards that end, do make an effort to meet the fundraising targets.

Two years ago, four of us did the ride and raised close to $8,000...I'd imagine we can top that this year with a gaggle of us showing up.

Now, after the walking and riding are done, we'll set up a pow-wow at the venue - we're still in planning mode on that front, but rest assured, it will happen and it will be spectacular. We'll prolly have elephants! Or hamburgers.

We're also working out some sort of deal where we can present the coach with something or other.

Those are minor details.

Step one, let's fill out a team.

If you want to ride 10, 25, 50 or 75 miles, go to THIS LINK RIGHT HERE and click the Join Our Team link at the top of the page.

(To the folks who rode the 50 last time around with me, I'm not sure I'll be riding this year - I might have a quick family obligation that morning that would prevent me from getting out in time to ride....to be determined.)

If you want to walk the 5K, send me a private message and we'll arrange that paperwork together. If you want to skip dealing with me, you are welcome to sign up via the link above and join the team with the $20 registration fee.

Additional note - I believe Kevin Ollie is co-hosting this shindig, so ten toes in and all that.
Fishy,
Unfortunately the ride falls on my wedding anniversary and I didn't stay married for 39 years for nothing so I won't be riding, walking or seeing you all. I would like to donate however and if there is anyone who is having trouble meeting the minimum let me know I will be happy to support you.
Be well all,

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
He did - Dove and his wife have dipped all twenty toes in.

I didn't mean Dove, I meant all those other Boneyarders, especially the long-timers, who should come and show "all ten toes in" to support Jim Calhoun (and Kevin Ollie, who was said to be coming).

Reaction Score
I would love to be there but I will be over the Atlantic on my way to France for work. Somehow I traded a day with JC and the Boneyarders for teaching a class overseas. Not exactly a fair trade. Maybe I can slip out with a parachute.

Looking forward to the pics and videos.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
He did - Dove and his wife have dipped all twenty toes in.
I PMed you about getting a form. Waitin' for it.

Reaction Score
If jleves is coming from Cali there's really no excuse for us in the Northeast not to make it. I'm ten toes in. Just PM'd fishy

Reaction Score
I think the WesMass guys will know that on June 8th the Senior class of Agawam HS will be graduating and my son will be in this celebration so therefore while I definitely would love to be there with all ten toes, I will miss the gala BY event unfortunately. I will be meeting the Deepster for golf and cocktails to present my check for the donation this week.............Be sure I get to see pictures as it would seem this would be a major get together for the 1st time in years.........

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There will be no pictures, no video and no written descriptions.

There will be a cone of silence placed over the event and those whose ten toes remain home will be forever excluded.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hey, it's in Simsbury! That's my old hometown. I definitely have to try and make this. Time to go beg some folks to give me money. That's my normal M.O. anyway, so no worries.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It is.

It takes a while for me to respond because I am aloof.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Somehow I deleted my message. Hopefully my PM 'conversation' skills are better.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
OK gents, I'm new to this fundraising business. How do I set up a donation page so I can start hassling the 3 people I know. It's going to take repeated nagging to get any money out of those tight bastards, so I need to get on it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Update: I have put out the word. I managed to scrounge up 5 friends emails. Two more than anticipated. None with big pockets.

How about that donation page?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The donations are absolutely pouring in....but I have no where to put them or register them. I'm a fundraising moron. Help me out here folks.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
OK, I've faxed my form. I'm in. I should probably send a scanned copy too, as they seem a bit inept.

So if I use that general donation page, that will be sufficient? They'd just fill my name in the "my gift is made jointly with" section? Or do I have to get actual check from everyone? Do a lot of people still use checks?

Where do donors get their tax write-off receipt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom