Caitlin Clark Scoring Record Watch | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Caitlin Clark Scoring Record Watch

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Is anyone besides myself hoping Caitlin returns to IOWA next season?

I'm on the fence. If she goes to Indiana, I say go to the WNBA. Reason being, she is a Midwestern Girl and she will fit in nicely there. I would love to see her go to the Minnesota Lynx but she will be gone before they get to choose.

So, I'm hoping she stays if she's not picked by a Midwestern Team. Just my thoughts.....
For a South Carolina fan from Tennessee, you are quite the Clark admirer. Might I interest you in a Midwestern homestead? Smells like pig crap when the wind blows and nothing but corn and beans for miles but you'd at least be in Big Ten country.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Vowelguy.

Should be interesting to see how Iowa handles it if Caitlin has more than 30 against Penn State on Thursday. The following game at Nebraska likely would be a comfortable win, and Lisa Bluder (and Caitlin?) might want to have the record broken at home vs. Michigan on the 15th.
On second thought, I disagree with myself.:oops:

I'd think now that Iowa will be happy to get the record behind them as soon as possible, probably at Nebraska, if Caitlin's performances measure up. The risk in that scenario would be the criticism if Caitlin remains in the game in a blowout win just to secure the record... there's always something, right?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I understand wanting to do it in front of the home crowd, but I'd also think they just want to get it over with to eliminate the distraction.

As far as another year, there's just nothing left for her to prove, and all her buddies she's spent her career playing with will be gone after this season. I hope she goes pro.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Is anyone besides myself hoping Caitlin returns to IOWA next season?

I'm on the fence. If she goes to Indiana, I say go to the WNBA. Reason being, she is a Midwestern Girl and she will fit in nicely there. I would love to see her go to the Minnesota Lynx but she will be gone before they get to choose.

So, I'm hoping she stays if she's not picked by a Midwestern Team. Just my thoughts.....

From a general women's basketball fan perspective, I hope she does stick around. The attention she draws to women's basketball is unparalleled to anyone who has ever played before. I think she is the major catalyst for converting so many men's fans who previously looked down on the women's game, but now those men's basketball fans are coming around and following the women's game largely due to Clark. As a result, viewing numbers and attendance numbers are through the roof. Another year with Clark at Iowa means a lot of media attention, more exposure for the sport and accelerated growth in viewership. Plus, Iowa is just really really fun to watch with her in the lineup. She does everything for them and they consistently score 90 a night, and they don't defend well so we see a lot of fast paced shoot out games like today. It's extremely entertaining and I'd love another season of the Clark/Iowa show.

If Clark is making a decision for what benefits her most basketball wise, the clear answer is she should go pro. She'll go #1 to Indiana and be put in a situation where she fits in perfectly alongside Boston/Smith. They'll have a great core that they can build around, potentially similar to how the Aces built their title teams by loading up on #1 and #2 picks. Clark has nothing left to prove on the collegiate level. She's going to have obliterated the NCAA all time scoring record, won consecutive POY awards unanimously, led her team to a title game, turned Iowa into a women's basketball state, etc. Her impact and legend at the collegiate level is cemented regardless of how well they do in the tournament this year. She's also head and shoulders better than anyone in the college game right now and is ready for the next level. Playing pro ball and overseas will help her to continue developing her game in a way that college basketball can't anymore. Not to mention Iowa is unlikely to be a title contender next year and if she is putting basketball first (which it appears she is), going pro is the obvious choice, especially with Indiana getting the #1 pick. Money wise she's going to be loaded with endorsement cash whether she's in college or playing in the WNBA so I don't see that as a significant factor.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Thanks, Vowelguy.

Should be interesting to see how Iowa handles it if Caitlin has more than 30 against Penn State on Thursday. The following game at Nebraska likely would be a comfortable win, and Lisa Bluder (and Caitlin?) might want to have the record broken at home vs. Michigan on the 15th.

I'm guessing they'll have a conversation about it ahead of the Nebraska game, but I predict this happens. If Penn State or Nebraska is a blowout, I see Bluder pulling her early. Breaking a record like this is a once in a lifetime type of accomplishment for coach/player, and I think if they have the opportunity to break the record at home in front of Iowa fans, they'll prefer to do that.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing they'll have a conversation about it ahead of the Nebraska game, but I predict this happens. If Penn State or Nebraska is a blowout, I see Bluder pulling her early. Breaking a record like this is a once in a lifetime type of accomplishment for coach/player, and I think if they have the opportunity to break the record at home in front of Iowa fans, they'll prefer to do that.
Well, ballnut90, if you also read my more recent post, I apparently both agree and disagree with you.:confused:

Regardless of my lack of conviction, well said by you!

Reaction Score
From a general women's basketball fan perspective, I hope she does stick around. The attention she draws to women's basketball is unparalleled to anyone who has ever played before. I think she is the major catalyst for converting so many men's fans who previously looked down on the women's game, but now those men's basketball fans are coming around and following the women's game largely due to Clark. As a result, viewing numbers and attendance numbers are through the roof. Another year with Clark at Iowa means a lot of media attention, more exposure for the sport and accelerated growth in viewership. Plus, Iowa is just really really fun to watch with her in the lineup. She does everything for them and they consistently score 90 a night, and they don't defend well so we see a lot of fast paced shoot out games like today. It's extremely entertaining and I'd love another season of the Clark/Iowa show.

If Clark is making a decision for what benefits her most basketball wise, the clear answer is she should go pro. She'll go #1 to Indiana and be put in a situation where she fits in perfectly alongside Boston/Smith. They'll have a great core that they can build around, potentially similar to how the Aces built their title teams by loading up on #1 and #2 picks. Clark has nothing left to prove on the collegiate level. She's going to have obliterated the NCAA all time scoring record, won consecutive POY awards unanimously, led her team to a title game, turned Iowa into a women's basketball state, etc. Her impact and legend at the collegiate level is cemented regardless of how well they do in the tournament this year. She's also head and shoulders better than anyone in the college game right now and is ready for the next level. Playing pro ball and overseas will help her to continue developing her game in a way that college basketball can't anymore. Not to mention Iowa is unlikely to be a title contender next year and if she is putting basketball first (which it appears she is), going pro is the obvious choice, especially with Indiana getting the #1 pick. Money wise she's going to be loaded with endorsement cash whether she's in college or playing in the WNBA so I don't see that as a significant factor.
Folks on this board have many very logical arguments as to what might be the best plan for Caitlin going forward. I truly don't think she'll know what she'll do until after their last game.

Selfishly, I'd love for her to play another season at Iowa. Sadly, I think she'll move on, as the hubub around her has become almost Taylor Swift-like.

Why might she play another season? Lisa Bluder has been a perfect coach from a perspective of letting her run with her talents. Iowa will lose great senior leadership with the graduation of Gabby Marshall, Molly Davis, and Kate Martin. Caitlin returning to help the rest of the players make the jump into another Top Ten team would be a way of honoring Coach Bluder's dedication to Clark's greatness. Could help them bridge Caitlin's graduation into an ongoing Top Ten program. Doubtful, but you never know.

Reaction Score
Will Juju be able to pass Clark?

Watkins average this year is 0.8 behind Clark’s frosh year. And may finish with more total points since Iowa only played 30 games that year. Trojans have 28 RS games.

I’m gonna say no because I think USC is going to be able to fill up the roster with better teammates than Clark had.

Reaction Score
For a South Carolina fan from Tennessee, you are quite the Clark admirer. Might I interest you in a Midwestern homestead? Smells like pig crap when the wind blows and nothing but corn and beans for miles but you'd at least be in Big Ten country.
I travel to Minneapolis about 3-4 times per year. I have thought about buying a place in a small town in MSP metro, Stillwater, MN.

I went to school at Carolina and Tennessee, so I am an SEC brat.

I grew up on a Peach Farm that had been in my family for 4 generations. Stink comes with the territory of life on a farm.

Today, most of the orchards are now gone and Sub-divisions have taken their place. My dad sold the farm to developers in the late 90's after my grandparents were gone.

Yes, I'll buy a home or condo in the Midwest or Seattle (I'm torn). Again, MSP metro is my fav in the Midwest although I've never been to Madison, WI or Omaha NE, which I hear are great. If Carolina's baseball team ever makes it back to the college world series, I will be there for sure.

I became a Clark fan her sophomore year and my respect for her went thru the roof during the NCAA tournament run last year.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Only way she breaks the record at home is if they bench her. She has 21 at the half against Penn St. Should easily get it next game against Nebraska.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Come on, why does everybody have to contradict me? Clark isn't scoring at all after halftime, but racking up assists, and Stuelke has gone for 30 w/ 8 minutes left? What world is this?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Come on, why does everybody have to contradict me? Clark isn't scoring at all after halftime, but racking up assists, and Stuelke has gone for 30 w/ 8 minutes left? What world is this?
Please immediately start using these powers for good. E.g.:
"Stanford will never win again."
"Tara is doomed to retire without another natty."
"@TheFarmFan will never win the lottery, grow rich and retire before age 40."
:D

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Please immediately start using these powers for good. E.g.:
"Stanford will never win again."
"Tara is doomed to retire without another natty."
"@TheFarmFan will never win the lottery, grow rich and retire before age 40."
:D
I'm sure some cosmic force will know if I make bold predictions purposely wanting the opposite to happen, I think my powers only work to spite me. :eek:

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
I'm sure some cosmic force will know if I make bold predictions purposely wanting the opposite to happen, I think my powers only work to spite me. :eek:
Fine. The Northwest is terrible, everyone hates it, Washington and Oregon suck, and the Pac-12 deserved to die. Does that help you get properly motivated? :p

Reaction Score
only 6 in the 2nd half for Clark (27 for night), so good chance she does it at home next week

2. Clark, Iowa (2020-24): 3,489
1. Plum, Wash (2013-17): 3,527 ==> 39 pts to surpass ==> 1-2 games

Iowa has 6 RS games left

Next: @ Neb 2/11 & v Mich 2/15

======================================
Additionally

4. Clark 3489
3. Lynette Woodward Kansas (AIAW), 3649 ==> 161 ==> 5-6 games
2. Antoine Davis Detroit Mercy 3664 ==> 176 ==> 6-7 games
1. Maravich LSU 3667 ==> 179 ==> 6-7 games

She should pass Maravich in the season finale

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
only 6 in the 2nd half for Clark (27 for night), so good chance she does it at home next week

2. Clark, Iowa (2020-24): 3,489
1. Plum, Wash (2013-17): 3,527 ==> 39 pts to surpass ==> 1-2 games

Iowa has 6 RS games left

Next: @ Neb 2/11 & v Mich 2/15

Additionally

4. Clark 3489
3. Lynette Woodward Kansas (AIAW), 3649 ==> 161 ==> 5-6 games
2. Antoine Davis Detroit Mercy 3664 ==> 176 ==> 6-7 games
1. Maravich LSU 3667 ==> 179 ==> 6-7 games

Something tells me someone told Clark how close she was and she dialed back after half time. ;) (And truly, it would be tragic if she didn't break the record in front of a sell-out crowd at home.)

Reaction Score
Something tells me someone told Clark how close she was and she dialed back after half time. ;) (And truly, it would be tragic if she didn't break the record in front of a sell-out crowd at home.)
Yup, all part of the plan, and it likely didn't hurt the Hawks' goals to have Hannah explode for 47 points. She'll need some big games for Iowa to win the Big Ten and make a reasonable run in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
She definitely was looking for her teammates more in the second half, but Lord, the turnovers.
For those who have called CC selfish: she kept feeding Hannah Stuelke all the way to 47 points, which is one more than Caitlin has ever scored in a game.

Reaction Score
She definitely was looking for her teammates more in the second half, but Lord, the turnovers.
For those who have called CC selfish: she kept feeding Hannah Stuelke all the way to 47 points, which is one more than Caitlin has ever scored in a game.
Tonight was one of the few games I didn't get to see, Bjbod. What the heck were all the turnovers?

Reaction Score
Tonight was one of the few games I didn't get to see, Bjbod. What the heck were all the turnovers?
Early in the game Penn State must've gotten 4 turnovers by deflecting her passes. 2nd half probably 4 due to teammates not handling passes that could've led to baskets. Also several by forcing passes into nearly non-existent windows.

Reaction Score
Early in the game Penn State must've gotten 4 turnovers by deflecting her passes. 2nd half probably 4 due to teammates not handling passes that could've led to baskets. Also several by forcing passes into nearly non-existent windows.
Thanks for painting a picture for me. Some of Caitlin's typical TOs, just a lot more of them. Thanks, Bjbod.

Reaction Score
So now we need to start up a "Hannah Stuelke Scoring Record Watch" thread??? I predict Hannah scores 54 pts next game, and Clark has 21 assists, and 18 turnovers.......

:p

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Only way she breaks the record at home is if they bench her. She has 21 at the half against Penn St. Should easily get it next game against Nebraska.
The thousands of fans in Carver-Hawkeye Arena were grasping for explanations as to why Clark went so ice cold in the second half. Someone must have tipped them off because just moments ago they were spotted marching toward the Pacific Northwest.

1707456535994.png

Reaction Score
31 but 0 in the fourth qtr

2. Clark, Iowa (2020-24): 3,520
1. Plum, Wash (2013-17): 3,527 ==> 8 pts to surpass ==> 1st quarter vs Mich on 2/15

Additionally

Iowa has 5 RS games left

4. Clark 3520
3. Lynette Woodward Kansas (AIAW), 3649 ==> 131 ==> 4-5 games
2. Antoine Davis Detroit Mercy 3664 ==> 144 ==> 5-6 games
1. Maravich LSU 3667 ==> 147 ==> 5-6 games

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Iowa fans:correct me if I'm wrong. Iowa had the Nebraska game well under control thru
3 quarters...Clark with 31 and well within range of the record. For the bulk of the 4th quarter she stopped
looking to shoot. Nebraska made a late run....got close....and in the last 2 or 3 minutes CC started to be aggressive shooting the ball....missing all of them. Was her reluctance to shoot for most of the quarter intended to break the
record at home. I'm guessing 'yes'.

Turns out that will happen....but at the cost of an upset loss. Worth it?

She made some beautiful passes for assists. Don't know her shooting stat for the game. Despite the 31 I thought
she was a bit off.

Tremendously entertaining to watch.

Was 10-25 from the floor.....including 5-15 from trey-land....6-9 from free throw line. I assume
all of those are not her usual.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom