C7 televsion revenue to come from FOX. | The Boneyard

C7 televsion revenue to come from FOX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Excepted from ESPN.

The seven Catholic schools that plan to leave the Big East to form their own basketball conference expect to double their money off a television deal, according ESPN.

Sources say that Fox, whose Fox Sports 1 channel is set to launch in August, has an initial high offer on the table of more than $500 million for a 12-year deal. Fox Sports 1 will replace the network's motorsports channel Speed, already in 81 million homes. Sources say officials with Fox are scheduled to meet with those representing the interest of the "Catholic 7" in New York City on Wednesday. NBC Sports Network, declined comment. ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz also declined comment
The television deal is said to be far along. In fact, before the non-football schools left the Big East, sources say the presidents knew they'd be better off leaving. That's because Jordan Bazant, the main partner of New York-based The Legacy Agency, which represents Fox broadcasters including Troy Aikman, Chris Myers and Daryl "Moose" Johnston, already had helped bring Fox to the table. Representatives of St. John's and Georgetown took the lead in those early discussions.

Under the current Big East deal, which expires at the end of this season, the non-football schools receive between $2 million and $3 million from the television contract. There was initial fear the defections of recent football members would leave the non-football schools in a worse position.

the "Catholic 7" would divide its share of the television rights evenly and split the rest among what ideally will become the other three-to-five schools that it adds to form a 10- to 12-team conference. One source said it is likely the new schools wouldn't share the same amount as the "Catholic 7," which would allow the former Big East basketball schools to earn in the $5 million range. It's thought that free agent schools such as the ones in the Atlantic 10 would be fine with making less than half of that on an annual basis because they currently pull in $400,000 a year. However, under current conference bylaws, there's a required 27-month window in order not to owe exit fees.

In a perfect situation, the "Catholic 7" would be able to leave the Big East at the end of this season and bring in new members, which would allow its television contract to begin next season. Perhaps the promise of new money would allow it to pay fees to get out earlier.

Reaction Score
I really don't see how schools like Xavier and Butler would be willing to make less than half of what Depaul and Providence are bringing in.

Reaction Score
Can we assume the Speed/Fox Sports1 channel will be moved from the premium HD designation where it is now, to basic HD?

I had to do some research online to figure out whether Comcast offers it.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
I really don't see how schools like Xavier and Butler would be willing to make less than half of what Depaul and Providence are bringing in.

It's been a while since I went to catechism/bible school...can someone remind me which Catholic/Christian tennant follows the "I'm better/more valuable/more worthy than you" princple?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can we assume the Speed/Fox Sports1 channel will be moved from the premium HD designation where it is now, to basic HD?

It's channel 85 on Cox, right next to the Golf channel. They already have the Fox logo up.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Not necessarily. Without the large fan base of a public university, what compels a cable provider to do that? Maybe PC can get it added in RI, but GTown, StJ, and Nova can't organize enough of an outcry to do that.

Whatever network ends up carrying UConn will immediately be added to basic tier in CT.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#