Byron Jones Invited to Draft | The Boneyard

Byron Jones Invited to Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Latest rumors seem to be Philly at 20 or Dallas at 27. Wish we could have had him all season but will enjoy watching him play on Sundays.

Reaction Score
I have got to say this......

The measurables on both Jones and Davis are very, very impressive. As good a set of athletes as there were in the country. Why were they not used more broadly? Jones I'm sure could have helped as a returner and maybe 2-3 plays on offense/game. For crying out loud, Davis sat out something like 50% of 3rd downs last season and never ran a reverse for him with his speed (which surprised me btw).

I just don't think P or Diaco were at all creative with these guys.

Reaction Score
and thank you for referring to a reasonable question/point as a "bitch session"........

Reaction Score
Thanks for taking an incredibly positive story about a kid and the program and turning it in to a b1tch session - we need more of that around here :eek:
I think it's a fair comment. These are NFL level players and their are more on the squad.

Reaction Score
I think it's a fair comment. These are NFL level players and their are more on the squad.

Gotta love the BY. That has been posted a million times by a million different people over the last few years.

Besides, I question anyone's football IQ that thinks Geremy Davis was a good option to run reverses.

Reaction Score
Davis may have run a good 40 at pro day, but if you saw him get run down from behind against Memphis in 2013, you would not wonder why we didn't use him on reverses.

Kudos to him for training hard and making the most of his opportunity to impress, but let's not make this into something other than that.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Byron. Please fall into the hands of the Patriots. Was Donald Brown invited to the Draft? Or is Jones our first?

Davis definitely helped his stock with his pro day numbers and I think he's gonna stick with who every drafts him probably in the 4th or 5th round.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure Jones is the first Husky to be invited to the draft. They don't invite a whole lot and we have only had 2 go within the first 40 picks (can't remember the exact spot Butler went to NE but was early 2nd rd)

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
In this week's mothership mag, Kiper called Jones the best athlete in the draft. I want that posted in BIG BOLD letters on the screen as the draft starts. Can anyone make that happen???

Reaction Score
In this week's mothership mag, Kiper called Jones the best athlete in the draft. I want that posted in BIG BOLD letters on the screen as the draft starts. Can anyone make that happen???

I hate Kiper, unless he's saying things like this or Frank Caliendo is impersonating him.

Reaction Score
Is this a first for the Uconn program? Having a potential draftee at the draft site?

Reaction Score
that just about seals the 1st round

Not necessarily. He could attend and still end up sitting around all night without his name called. If it were me and there was even a slight chance I could fall out of the first round, I would sit it out and enjoy the draft with family.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. He could attend and still end up sitting around all night without his name called. If it were me and there was even a slight chance I could fall out of the first round, I would sit it out and enjoy the draft with family.
Close family members usually still attend the event with the prospect it would appear. Basing this on scenes shown on tv from past drafts.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think this is the first UConn player to attend the draft in person. Brown was picked 27th in 2009 and he did not go to New York. This is very exciting for Jones and the program, no doubt. And yes, this all but locks up his 1st round selection.

Reaction Score
I think this is the first UConn player to attend the draft in person. Brown was picked 27th in 2009 and he did not go to New York. This is very exciting for Jones and the program, no doubt. And yes, this all but locks up his 1st round selection.

I'm hoping that's true, but I don't think it guarantees a first round selection. Geno Smith was invited to the draft and most thought he was going to go in the first round, but didn't get selected until the second round. I found it marginally entertaining how pouty he looked though.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Byron Jones... He's gotten a bunch of love from the NFL... this is the ultimate (so far).. I see more great things in store for him down the road in the league... I saw him as a 2nd rounder or high 3rd rounder... he's going rd 1... would be a shocker if he lasts past #32...reppin UCONN... #HuskyUp #RiseUp

Reaction Score
I have got to say this.

The measurables on both Jones and Davis are very, very impressive. As good a set of athletes as there were in the country. Why were they not used more broadly? Jones I'm sure could have helped as a returner and maybe 2-3 plays on offense/game. For crying out loud, Davis sat out something like 50% of 3rd downs last season and never ran a reverse for him with his speed (which surprised me btw).

I just don't think P or Diaco were at all creative with these guys.

For what it's worth, I thought that Diaco was protecting Davis at the end of the season. Why risk a loyal warrior's future for a meaningless first down in a meaningless game? What would it have proven? If Davis had blown out a knee, in some December attempt to win a 3rd game, the anti-Diaco types would have provided page-after-page of "how could Diaco do that?" indignation.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I thought that Diaco was protecting Davis at the end of the season. Why risk a loyal warrior's future for a meaningless first down in a meaningless game? What would it have proven? If Davis had blown out a knee, in some December attempt to win a 3rd game, the anti-Diaco types would have provided page-after-page of "how could Diaco do that?" indignation.

Was he protecting him in Sept against Boise? That's when I first noticed he was on the sidelines for a bunch of 3rd & 8's.

Hey, I just don't want Jones to be "that guy" that they pan to in the middle of the 3rd round.

Reaction Score
Was he protecting him in Sept against Boise? That's when I first noticed he was on the sidelines for a bunch of 3rd & 8's.

Hey, I just don't want Jones to be "that guy" that they pan to in the middle of the 3rd round.

Me either. Guys like Brady Quinn look awfully lonely/embarrassed/tortured/pissed as the room empties. A swift kick in the self-esteem, for sure.

Reaction Score

Definitely agree that they were protecting him and trying to avoid any trouble with his lingering injuries. Also, Geremy is an athlete for sure but not the type to be running reverses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom