Buzz Williams re: P65 breakaway coming soon | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Buzz Williams re: P65 breakaway coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I really hope Buzz is right. And I can't wait to hear the justifications for excluding the school that has won 25% of the championships in the last 15 years (to say nothing of excluding the women). Bring it on Buzz, you cla $$less a

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I really hope Buzz is right. And I can't wait to hear the justifications for excluding the school that has won 25% of the championships in the last 15 years (to say nothing of excluding the women). Bring it on Buzz, you cla $$less a

Yup. It would be very difficult to justify shunning a hoops powerhouse like UCONN. Honestly, I think that it would devalue any "Power" basketball tournament if the field doesn't include UCONN. Unlike any other school/program, we have shown the ability to win a NC when we are favored as a top seed AND when we are seeded lower.

Reaction Score
The first end run UConn made was exercising it's option to be in Big East Football. We should have made a second one years ago when Hathaway was in charge.

If you want your college football team to be relevant, then you have to be able to recruit and win lots of games. And good recruiters come in the form of Head and Assistant Coaches. Those tend to cost a great deal of money.

We hired Bob Diaco and a staff on the cheap. And in the long run this is not what we really need. We might make some incremental improvement and people will call it: "Doing it the right way". But in a strategic sense it will give us little chance to get the program where we need it to be.

If we want this thing to smell like a P5 program anytime soon, then we need to hire the right recruiters and probably pay a little more than fair market value. We invested 100+ mil on facilities. It would be foolish to not invest a paltry fraction of that to protect that massive commitment.

Sorry, but I believe we are on the wrong path. We might improve but it won't be enough.

Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
The first end run UConn made was exercising it's option to be in Big East Football. We should have made a second one years ago when Hathaway was in charge.

If you want your college football team to be relevant, then you have to be able to recruit and win lots of games. And good recruiters come in the form of Head and Assistant Coaches. Those tend to cost a great deal of money.

We hired Bob Diaco and a staff on the cheap. And in the long run this is not what we really need. We might make some incremental improvement and people will call it: "Doing it the right way". But in a strategic sense it will give us little chance to get the program where we need it to be.

If we want this thing to smell like a P5 program anytime soon, then we need to hire the right recruiters and probably pay a little more than fair market value. We invested 100+ mil on facilities. It would be foolish to not invest a paltry fraction of that to protect that massive commitment.

Sorry, but I believe we are on the wrong path. We might improve but it won't be enough.

We should just cheat our a$$es off IMO. I don't even know what the right way is anymore. I do know I want UConn football to get good and get out of this dumpster diving conference as fast as possible. Do whatever it takes to get good, get noticed and get out. If it doesn't work wtf is the difference. At least they tried. The ad is screwed in a decade either way.

The doing it the right way may be the morally correct way, but there are no morals in college athletics anymore.

I just want to win football games again.

Rant over.

Reaction Score

That's problem #1, expecting that Hathaway was in charge of anything :mad:

Reaction Score

UConn pays the assistants at the low level of the P5 and the high level of the G5. Most are young and up and coming, so salaries seem appropriate. Maybe we should have hired a higher price staff, but I think this staff can turn UConn around. My only concern is the offense, but it is hard to judge based on this year.

Here are what some schools pay assistants based on 2013. UConn paid $~$1.7 mill. in 2013 and ~$2.0 mill. in 2014.

B1G: Ohio St. $3.5 mill., Michigan $3.1 mill., Nebraska $2.6 mill., Wisconsin $2.5 mill., Iowa $2.4 mill., Maryland $2.3 mill., Minnesota $2.2 mill., Indiana $2.1 mill., Illinois $2.1 mill., Purdue $2.0 mill., Rutgers $1.8 mill.

ACC: Clemson $4.2 mill., FSU $2.9 mill., Virginia $2.8 mill., Louisville $2.7 mill., NC St. $2.6 mill., VT: $2.2 mill., UNC $2.1 mill.

Other P5: LSU $4.6 mill., Alabama $4.5 mill., Texas $4.1 mill., Florida $3.2 mill., Oregon $3.1 mill., Kentucky $2.4 mill., Arizona $2.3 mill., Miss St. $2.2 mill., Kansas $2.1 mill., Washington St. $1.9 mill.

AAC: Memphis $2.0 mill., Cincinnati $1.9 mill., Houston $1.7 mill., USF $1.6 mill., UCF $1.6 mill., ECU $1.2 mill.

Other G5: Boise St. $2.4 mill., Colorado St. $1.5 mill., SD St. $1.5 mill., Fresno St. $1.4 mill., Marshall $1.0 mill., Northern Ill. $900k, Florida Atlantic $900k, Western Michigan $800k, UMass $800k,

Reaction Score
UConn pays the assistants at the low level of the P5 and the high level of the G5. Most are young and up and coming, so salaries seem appropriate. Maybe we should have hired a higher price staff, but I think this staff can turn UConn around. My only concern is the offense, but it is hard to judge based on this year.

Here are what some schools pay assistants based on 2013. UConn paid $~$1.7 mill. in 2013 and ~$2.0 mill. in 2014.

B1G: Ohio St. $3.5 mill., Michigan $3.1 mill., Nebraska $2.6 mill., Wisconsin $2.5 mill., Iowa $2.4 mill., Maryland $2.3 mill., Minnesota $2.2 mill., Indiana $2.1 mill., Illinois $2.1 mill., Purdue $2.0 mill., Rutgers $1.8 mill.

ACC: Clemson $4.2 mill., FSU $2.9 mill., Virginia $2.8 mill., Louisville $2.7 mill., NC St. $2.6 mill., VT: $2.2 mill., UNC $2.1 mill.

Other P5: LSU $4.6 mill., Alabama $4.5 mill., Texas $4.1 mill., Florida $3.2 mill., Oregon $3.1 mill., Kentucky $2.4 mill., Arizona $2.3 mill., Miss St. $2.2 mill., Kansas $2.1 mill., Washington St. $1.9 mill.

AAC: Memphis $2.0 mill., Cincinnati $1.9 mill., Houston $1.7 mill., USF $1.6 mill., UCF $1.6 mill., ECU $1.2 mill.

Other G5: Boise St. $2.4 mill., Colorado St. $1.5 mill., SD St. $1.5 mill., Fresno St. $1.4 mill., Marshall $1.0 mill., Northern Ill. $900k, Florida Atlantic $900k, Western Michigan $800k, UMass $800k,

I get that they are younger, I would prefer proven performers even if it costs much, much more. It's worth going deeper into the red over. I have real doubts about the staff. But I guess we will get to find out.

Reaction Score
We should just cheat our a$$es off IMO. I don't even know what the right way is anymore. I do know I want UConn football to get good and get out of this dumpster diving conference as fast as possible. Do whatever it takes to get good, get noticed and get out. If it doesn't work wtf is the difference. At least they tried. The ad is screwed in a decade either way.

The doing it the right way may be the morally correct way, but there are no morals in college athletics anymore.

I just want to win football games again.

Rant over.

I don't even think we need to cheat. The good recruiters are known. They just cost more and for good reason.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't even think we need to cheat. The good recruiters are known. They just cost more and for good reason.
To pay that kind of money UConn would need some T. Boone Pickens types. The extra money ain't coming from the state or tuition checks.

Reaction Score
They will break off in 2 years according to Buzz. I wonder if they told him that to get him to leave Marquette for that dead end.

That hurts man, as true as your statement about "a dead end job" is concerned. :) Buzz will soon find out why Blacksburg is the college basketball abyss. If Buzz does find success, I bet he finds himself at aTm or Texas in a few years or after his contract is up.

As for his assertions that the P5 is breaking away… I don't know. He may know nothing and could be talking out of his rear. It could be his recruiting ploy. He has to try everything to convince players like Montrezl Harrell and Finney-Smith from bolting to greener pastures like Greenberg found out. Honestly, I think Buzz isn't in the know on the P65 split like he says, but I think he may know enough to be dangerous as any other NCAA coach may know. Maybe Buzz just has a big mouth.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Somehow, I'm not worried:

stooges_curly.jpg

Buzz-Williams-Wallpapers-6.jpg

Reaction Score
To pay that kind of money UConn would need some T. Boone Pickens types. The extra money ain't coming from the state or tuition checks.

We're not talking about building another $100 million facility though. It's expensive but it would be the most direct approach in actively improving the program.

Reaction Score
I got it: we are screwed

I think, often in these great seismic changes, that a simple component sends it all off the cliff. In the P5? I think the fact that this has the consequence of killing women's sports makes it a Federal issue - for courts & legislatures.

Everything else hasn't made sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99