Butler/Dolson stats comparisons | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Butler/Dolson stats comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I did no such thing.

Stef was a great player and valued Husky. I make no apology for cringing at the thought that a new player - one whom most have never seen play either - is already being implied to be better than her.
I've read seemingly everything that's been written on this site regarding Butler and I really have no recollection of anyone implying that she'd be BETTER than Stef. If you've read any of my posts over the last couple of years, you'll know that there aren't a whole lot of people on the Boneyard who were and are bigger advocates of Stef's and who don't think that she'll be missed, particularly as a conduit for our offense. Having read about Butler, I'm quite impressed about her supposed skillset as attested to by some pretty darn good coaches who were colleagues of Geno's. I'm thinking that Butler might end up being a really nice followup to Stef and be able to provide a good deal of what we had come to expect from Stef. When Diana left UConn (back when) I'm sure some people thought that UConn would never ever have another player that could be spoken about in the same sentence as her and yet along came Maya! Some people, myself included, think she was (is) as good as Diana was even though they're not exactly the same type ballplayers. Then we hit the trifecta with the arrival of Breanna and who could have seen that coming???? So, maybe Ms. Butler will one day be talked about in the same manner as Stef but I'm not concerned if she falls a little short. A little short of Ms. Dolson would be pretty impressive to me!

Reaction Score
I agree. I think Butler will make a name for herself and is AA material.

Butler is a good addition but lets not get ahead of ourselves, Butler wasn't recruited by top programs out of HS for a reason and she was still 6'5" then, she is not or will be Dolson the hope is that the coaching staff can develop her next year and have her ready for 2015, and don't put to much shine on her stats at that school in that league, but I would just like Geno take a chance on her, what do you have to lose but a roster spot.

Reaction Score
The last thing I will say is, my trust is in Geno, and CD. Does anyone really think that at this stage of his career, and the type of players in the program, he would take a player he didn't feel was going to be a big contributor, especially a transfer?

Reaction Score
The combination of her stint at Georgetown, the year she learns the UConn system while practicing among/against some of the best, and the coaching she will get, is unique.

Given the comments of various coaches and pundits, her HS and college records, and some positive intangibles, it will be a surprise if she isn't a strong contributor...and more likely a force... after this transition year. She'll then hit the hardwood for three years surrounded by talent who can draw defenses off and also get her the ball when appropriate. I like the odds.

In any case it should be fun watching her grow as a Husky. I think it will prove to be a wise decision to come to Storrs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
she is not or will be Dolson the hope is that the coaching staff can develop her next year and have her ready for 2015,

I agree. I think Butler will make a name for herself and is AA material.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Natalie gives us an experienced 6'5 in the middle. South Carolina has Coates 6'4 Aja Wilson 6'4 and Jatarie White 6'4. ND has Reimer 6'4 and Turner 6'3. Tenn has Harrison 6'3 and Russell 6'6. Having Natalie is big for a couple of reasons. First off having Kiah step in with experience next season is huge. Kiah 6'3 Tuck 6'3 and Stewart 6'4 is better then any other team.

The following years with Natalie 6'5 with experience with Tuck 6'3 Stewart 6'4 Boykin 6'3 Samuelson 6'3 and Collier 6'1 gives us an intimidating front line. Natalie was the player we needed and fills the post better then any of the other players we were recruiting because of her experience and the numbers she put up. Surround her with the players UConn has and imo its pretty tuff for her to fail .

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Morgan is listed at 6'2" and is closer to 6'1" in reality.

Reaction Score
Boykin is closer to 6'2 not near 6'3 but is taller than Tuck according to the those that saw them on campus back in April during the official visit, maybe that's why some people say 6'3

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Butler is a good addition but lets not get ahead of ourselves, Butler wasn't recruited by top programs out of HS for a reason and she was still 6'5" then, she is not or will be Dolson the hope is that the coaching staff can develop her next year and have her ready for 2015, and don't put to much shine on her stats at that school in that league, but I would just like Geno take a chance on her, what do you have to lose but a roster spot.
I think your post is out in left field some where! I might have phrased it differently but I'm trying to be polite. Geno taking a chance on her, risking just a roster spot. Have you read anything here at all regarding Ms. Butler. Geno has raved about her! He might actually be qualified to judge talent. He does look around at the world of women's basketball and not just whatever conference the Huskies play in. I think he might have had a passing interest in the Big East conference his team just left the previous season, one in which a few of his best friends still coach in. The very well respected coach of DePaul who is a very good friend of Geno's raved about her and what she provided on a lousy Georgetown team where she was double and triple teamed and still had amazing stats that made her an overwhelming freshman of the year selection. The conference lost a couple of good teams (UConn, Louisville and Notre Dame) but didn't all of a sudden stink the joint out. Remember that Stef played three years against those other teams, teams where she compiled about half of her first three years stats and so, are you saying maybe Stef really isn't that good because she built up her stats against cruddy teams???? You can't have it both ways. Stef's stats weren't a whole lot better against those other teams than they were when playing Notre Dame and Louisville so why are you holding Butler's stats against her, implying that she only had them because of the level of her competition. Doug Bruno isn't a dummy who doesn't know and appreciate talent. He lauded Butler (as he had done Stef) as has Harry Peretta of Villanova and yet, that isn't enough for you, right??? I'm sure you've seen Butler play numerous times and so you can judge that she is just someone to fill a roster position! The facts are everyone has said and it's documented that she was a late bloomer. She did almost nothing as a high school sophomore and well into her junior year but with her work ethic and physical maturity, she turned a corner and by her senior year she was developing into a pretty talented young lady. The fact that she was a late bloomer probably meant that she wasn't invited to a lot of camps and thus didn't get scouted by the major services very much. That means no matter how good she was by the end of her senior year, she wasn't going to be highly rated by those services. Sounds a little like Ben Gordon who decided not to go to summer AAU camps and was therefore rated much lower than he might have because he didn't perform for those scouting services. He turned out to be the number 3 person taken in the 2004 NBA draft so I guess those scouting service ratings were pretty irrelevant, weren't they??? I had mentioned before that Emeka Okafor was rated about the same out of high school as Ms. Butler and wasn't he an All-American and the #2 NBA pick in the 2004 draft???? For you and others to dismiss her, considering every report that said she is a wonderfully hard working kid and she'll have had the opportunity to work under that great coaching staff and practice against the best of the best. How will she not get better???? Stef Dolson out of high school was overweight and didn't run the court that well. Seems to me she improved appreciably after arriving at Storrs and a part of it was the coaching staff and another part was her work ethic. Seems Ms. Butler has those same things working for her. She's already shown a lot in the Big East, and there's nothing to suggest that the best is yet to come! No question, she'll be a big asset to our Huskies! Nothing short of a major injury is going to stop her!

Reaction Score
Okay I got it,

The point I was making is let her be Natalie Butler and not try to make her Stephanie Dolson, let her get here and make a name for herself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom