Bubble teams | The Boneyard

Bubble teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Two bubble teams lose tonight. Fla.St. lost to Miami at home. Bad loss. Prov. loses on the road by 12 to GTown.

Fl. St. now 14-10 and off the bubble.

Reaction Score
Two bubble teams lose tonight. Fla.St. lost to Miami at home. Bad loss. Prov. loses on the road by 12 to GTown.

Fl. St. now 14-10 and off the bubble.

PC in a conference that gets very little national attention will now need to go on a major run also to get back in!

Reaction Score
There are PC fans who think their conference is getting 4 bids no matter, what so finishing in the top 4 is key. The NBE's problem right now is they only have 2 teams in the RPI top 40 and 1 more in the top 50.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
PC in a conference that gets very little national attention will now need to go on a major run also to get back in!

PC and FSU's problems, and ONLY problems right now, are their respective 54 and 63 RPI rankings, because pretty much no team is getting in the tournament with those kind of RPI's unless there is something extraordinary somewhere else in their resume. You can draw a bright line line under the 40th ranked team. Everyone ranked 40 or better is just about a lock. About 7 or 8 of the teams 41-50 get in, and then the rest is dependent on the number of unexpected conference winners.

There are 9 multi-bid leagues this year. Wichita State and Gonzaga are the only schools from single bid conferences (BYU is a bubble team) that look safe for at-large bids at this point. Southern Miss and Toledo need to make their conference finals and have about 27 wins to even get in the conversation with their weak schedules. Let's assume no upsets for now, that means there are 27 at large bids coming out of the Top 40 RPI. That leaves 9 bids, most of which will go to the next 10 RPI ranked schools. There will be 2-3 schools from outside the RPI Top 50 that get at large bids.

The reason Joe Lunardi gets his final tournament field almost 100% right every year is the same reason that every bracket predictor gets their final tournament field almost 100% right every year...because it is easy. There is rarely more than 1 real controversial last in/last out decision to make.

And it has very little to do with how much national attention a school gets.

Reaction Score
There are PC fans who think their conference is getting 4 bids no matter, what so finishing in the top 4 is key. The NBE's problem right now is they only have 2 teams in the RPI top 40 and 1 more in the top 50.
Well, PC stole Andre LaFleur from us. Plus, they kicked our @$$e$ in the Ledo, Dunn, Austin, and Chuckdu recruiting battles. So, now as we prepare for the Big Dance, PC wiggles on that big bubble!!!
I guess their fans prediction of PC passing out UConn for NE supremacy has come "true".....

Reaction Score
Man, what happened to Florida State? They looked great up until about a month ago. Blew out VCU, beat UMass, just barely lost to Florida and Michigan.

Then the wheels came off.

Reaction Score
Speaking of conferences with a slew of bubble teams, how about the SEC? Lunardi has 5 teams in? After Florida and UK it's a crap shoot right now.

Reaction Score
PC has lost four out of five against mostly medicore competition. They probably need to beat either Creighton or Villanova to get in. If they lose those two and even one other they are finished for sure. From the NBE, Nova and Creighton are locks. Xavier has a puncher's chance. PC has a ton of work to do. Nobody else looks like they have a shot. 4 teams is the ceiling for the NBE with 2 teams being quite possible.

Reaction Score
PC has lost four out of five against mostly medicore competition. They probably need to beat either Creighton or Villanova to get in. If they lose those two and even one other they are finished for sure. From the NBE, Nova and Creighton are locks. Xavier has a puncher's chance. PC has a ton of work to do. Nobody else looks like they have a shot. 4 teams is the ceiling for the NBE with 2 teams being quite possible.

Xavier is safely in the field as of right now. As of yesterday, Providence was one of the last four in and Georgetown was one of the last four out. I assume with Georgetown beating PC yesterday, Georgetown is now in and PC is out. St. John's has a shot - they've been playing great basketball lately. It'll probably be a four bid league.

Reaction Score
Well, PC stole Andre LaFleur from us. Plus, they kicked our @$$e$ in the Ledo, Dunn, Austin, and Chuckdu recruiting battles. So, now as we prepare for the Big Dance, PC wiggles on that big bubble!!!
I guess their fans prediction of PC passing out UConn for NE supremacy has come "true".....

Do you think losing a starting PG and the consensus pick for BE rookie of the year has had an affect on PCs season?

Reaction Score
Do you think losing a starting PG and the consensus pick for BE rookie of the year has had an affect on PCs season?
Bottom line, Sean, is to make the tourney. No excuses. Look at UConn last year. All those defections and Ollie got the team to perform well enough to make the tourney and get a decent seed. Obviously we weren't eligible, but Ollie wouldn't allow excuses.
Last game of the season we beat PC with 4 of our top 9 out. No excuses, just perform.
Tonight, our fledgling hockey program visits more established PC.....WHAT HAPPENS??? UConn wins....No excuses!!!

Reaction Score

Perhaps, but its always something isn't it. At some point you have to overcome these obstacles.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, Sean, is to make the tourney. No excuses. Look at UConn last year. All those defections and Ollie got the team to perform well enough to make the tourney and get a decent seed. Obviously we weren't eligible, but Ollie wouldn't allow excuses.
Last game of the season we beat PC with 4 of our top 9 out. No excuses, just perform.
Tonight, our fledgling hockey program visits more established PC.....WHAT HAPPENS??? UConn wins....No excuses!!!

Our hockey team is top 10; going to the dance. One game doesn't mean a thing. Isn't that what you guys chirp when PC smokes you on the hardwood ?

Reaction Score
Our hockey team is top 10; going to the dance. One game doesn't mean a thing. Isn't that what you guys chirp when PC smokes you on the hardwood ?

Very weak sean, extremely weak……..Who is PC and did they beat us while we were going to the dance and winning National Championships? Our guys should maybe take them more seriously than the mid mayor they are….I hate when our guys play down the competition but win when they actually play someone who we care about…..sucks to win championships sean, let me tell you!

But we do appreciate your interest in our program this morning…….NIT should have some good teams this year though…..go get it!

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I don't know how to say that in latin, but it should be chiseled above all the entryways to the dunkin' donuts center.
I thought it was on their banner

Reaction Score
Very weak Sean. First, regarding hockey, UConn isn't in hockey East yet, but we still beat you. Only one game, yes, but, the message has been sent....In a few years UConn passes PC in hockey....That's the message.
As far as hoops you loosely use the term smoked. I would say smoked is a win by 10+ points. That never happened. Our message to PC is, yeah, PC may have won a few close games vs UConn, in years past. But, where was the message??? UConn, in those years, would either win the NC, or, go deep in the tourney. Many of those years when PC won vs UConn, they didn't win another game the rest of the year. What was PC's message???
PC hasn't made the hoops tourney in 10 years. This, after all the bragging you, and other PC folk gave us regarding Ledo, Dunn, Austin, Chuckdu, and even Andre LaFleur. No message that PC left after you "smoked" us. Just the fact that we can move on, PC can't.
Also, if PC doesn't make the tourney, this year, it'll be Cooley's 3rd Big Dance no show in his 3 PC years. Now,I'm not sure if this is true, but I've heard PC needs a 950 APR score to be eligible for the 2015 tourney. If true, and PC doesn't get that score what do you think will happen to PC hoops?? I would guess PC doesn't establish themselves over UConn as the premier NE program, as so many PC folk have forewarned us.
BTW, nice UConn hockey win last night. Good luck in the Frozen tourney. Look what Quinnipiac has done in a few short years. Much more than PC has ever done in hockey. UConn will follow that path. We're comin' to get you...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
5 Sec bids? Lunardi is trying to drive page views from SEC fans looking for something to read about before spring practice. Teams with 60 RPI rankings (Mississippi and LSU) don't get at-large bids. Tennessee and Missouri are decently positioned for one of the last at large bids, but they are by no means locks. The SEC will get 3 or 4 bids most likely.

Reaction Score
Very weak Sean. First, regarding hockey, UConn isn't in hockey East yet, but we still beat you. Only one game, yes, but, the message has been sent....In a few years UConn passes PC in hockey....That's the message.
As far as hoops you loosely use the term smoked. I would say smoked is a win by 10+ points. That never happened. Our message to PC is, yeah, PC may have won a few close games vs UConn, in years past. But, where was the message??? UConn, in those years, would either win the NC, or, go deep in the tourney. Many of those years when PC won vs UConn, they didn't win another game the rest of the year. What was PC's message???
PC hasn't made the hoops tourney in 10 years. This, after all the bragging you, and other PC folk gave us regarding Ledo, Dunn, Austin, Chuckdu, and even Andre LaFleur. No message that PC left after you "smoked" us. Just the fact that we can move on, PC can't.
Also, if PC doesn't make the tourney, this year, it'll be Cooley's 3rd Big Dance no show in his 3 PC years. Now,I'm not sure if this is true, but I've heard PC needs a 950 APR score to be eligible for the 2015 tourney. If true, and PC doesn't get that score what do you think will happen to PC hoops?? I would guess PC doesn't establish themselves over UConn as the premier NE program, as so many PC folk have forewarned us.
BTW, nice UConn hockey win last night. Good luck in the Frozen tourney. Look what Quinnipiac has done in a few short years. Much more than PC has ever done in hockey. UConn will follow that path. We're comin' to get you...

Selective memory Yonick. You seem to be forgetting a few of the blow outs. The dunk fest at the XL center when your players cried loud enough for announcers to hear; we can't stop Weymii Efejuku! And of course the aryan Gomes "I f-Ed up" game. Listen, I'm not one of those guys who thinks uconn is dead and buried in hoops; but it's laughable for you to think that one game where your goalie stood on his head announces your presence in HE. Ask UMass; hi key is a grind. And I'd be careful modeling yourself after QU; unless you are looking for more attention from the NCAA.

But you guys don't care about PC....

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Selective memory Yonick. You seem to be forgetting a few of the blow outs. The dunk fest at the XL center when your players cried loud enough for announcers to hear; we can't stop Weymii Efejuku! And of course the aryan Gomes "I f-Ed up" game. Listen, I'm not one of those guys who thinks uconn is dead and buried in hoops; but it's laughable for you to think that one game where your goalie stood on his head announces your presence in HE. Ask UMass; hi key is a grind. And I'd be careful modeling yourself after QU; unless you are looking for more attention from the NCAA.

But you guys don't care about PC....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc