Brown: "Committee Didn't Have A Lot of Respect for our Conference" | The Boneyard

Brown: "Committee Didn't Have A Lot of Respect for our Conference"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He has a reason to be bitter and he didn't dance around it.

Reaction Score
We can blame PC for this too. If they lost, then SMU would be in

Reaction Score
If they want to improve the conference SOS, a place to start might be a conference "challenge" like the ACC/B1G. Get one name on everyone's schedule. I just am not sure who would willingly line up with the AAC.

Reaction Score
Don't have a problem with SMU not making it into the tourney. Lets look at the RPI stats:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi

L'ville (17 RPI) (SOS:97 Non-conference SOS:159, 23 RPI (road and neutral games))
Cincy (19 RPI) (SOS:73 Non-conference SOS: 81, 13 RPI (road and neutral games))
UConn (23 RPI) (SOS:34 Non-conference SOS:82, 26 RPI (road and neutral games))
Memphis (34 RPI) (SOS: 30 Non-conference SOS:38, 27 RPI (road and neutral games))
SMU (57 RPI) (SOS: 137 Non-conference SOS:303, 63 RPI (road and neutral games))

Also SMU showed that can't win away from home (except for at UConn) and had a terrible loss to Houston (143 RPI).

The committee rewarded playing a tough schedule. UConn reaped the rewards (and would have more if Indiana, BC, and Maryland been better teams) with their victory over Fla. SMU was on the bubble and deserved to be bounced cause of their bad loss. Louisville also played a week Non-conference schedule and should've been penalized for that.

Reaction Score
Fun quiz! Match SMU's non-conference opponents to the corresponding mascots:

1. Sam Houston State:
2. Arkansas Pine-Bluff:
3. McNese State:
4. Hofstra:
5. Texas State-San Marcos:
6. Texa-Pan American:
7. Illinois-Chicago:

a. Golden Lions
b. Bobcats
c. Bearkats (no, not a misspelling)
d. Cowboys
e. Broncos
f. Flames
g. Pride

The Committee has penalized Virginia Tech in the past for pulling this same nonsense.

Reaction Score
Fun quiz! Match SMU's non-conference opponents to the corresponding mascots:

1. Sam Houston State:
2. Arkansas Pine-Bluff:
3. McNese State:
4. Hofstra:
5. Texas State-San Marcos:
6. Texa-Pan American:
7. Illinois-Chicago:

a. Golden Lions
b. Bobcats
c. Bearkats (no, not a misspelling)
d. Cowboys
e. Broncos
f. Flames
g. Pride

The Committee has penalized Virginia Tech in the past for pulling this same nonsense.

Exactly. SMU played a crap OOC schedule and with the bottom of the AAC bad this year, they didn't rate highly.

Reaction Score
UConn was knocked down two seeds "just because" - they reaped nothing from their out of conference schedule.

I wonder what our seed was prior to beating Cincy on Friday...

We were only "knocked down" two seeds relative to the imaginary seedings in Joe Lunardi's head.

Reaction Score
UConn was knocked down two seeds "just because" - they reaped nothing from their out of conference schedule.

We could have lost to Memphis on Thursday and had the same seed. The committee just wanted to seed us against Nova which is fine by me.

Reaction Score
If they want to improve the conference SOS, a place to start might be a conference "challenge" like the ACC/B1G. Get one name on everyone's schedule. I just am not sure who would willingly line up with the AAC.

Great points. But like you said, we do not have anyone, yet, that we can line up to do some kind of challenge. I figure we will get a challenge going. Heck it might be with the Pac-12.

Reaction Score
We could have lost to Memphis on Thursday and had the same seed. The committee just wanted to seed us against Nova which is fine by me.

Like I said earlier, they have 90% of the brackets done on Friday and then only make minor adjustments if a major upset happens. So, they bump a team, but don't really move the seeds around. its just too much work for the committee to try and fill them in at the last minute. Especially, since they have an agenda with certain conference and teams and it would be difficult to do all at one time on Sunday

Reaction Score
What does Lunardi have to do with this?

The committee rated UMass higher than UConn.

If you think that's okay...

We're potentially playing a team from a non-power conference (Nova) that has gotten torched by 3 point shooting teams while UMass is playing Duke in their backyard.

Obviously, both have to win their first round games but I think the committee gave us a better path to the sweet 16 than UMass

Reaction Score
Don't have a problem with SMU not making it into the tourney.

I do. I understand the RPI, strength of schedule, et al. However, they rated similar to the last 4 in, and they were ranked in the top 25. And the AAC is better than it's being given credit for. It's viewed as a "left overs" conference, and that is how it was treated here.

Reaction Score

I wasn't even thinking of that, it's a very interesting question. Would we have been a 9 without the two ranked wins this week?

Reaction Score
If SMU wanted to be in the tournament, they shouldn't have lost to South Florida, Temple, and Houston. I feel bad for Larry Brown and co. but SMU wasn't any sort of outrageous snub - their RPI was 57 and they had 3 really bad losses.

Of course, the fact that N.C. State got in over SMU is absolute bull .

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
They took care of their own. Shameless and corrupt are the only 2 words that come to mind right now but I'll let others weigh in.

I concur, and there's a history for this

this year they took it to now heights

look at the committee members, then look at how their schools / conferences did

I guarantee you will find a correlation

Reaction Score
I can't really complain. Teams have known forever that you have to schedule tough OOC games especially in a non-power conference like the AAC where the bottom half of the conference will destroy your SOS. SMU learned this lesson again - in addition to their horrible losses - they don't really have a bone to pick.

As for Louisville, they beat two tournament teams all year (us three times, Cincy once). The only other tournament teams they faced they lost to: UNC, Kentucky, Memphis twice and Cincy once. Their SOS was terrible (150's something?) and they lacked impressive wins. Their schedule was weak and the eye-test they've been passing the last few weeks has been against scrubs and us - who we all know they are a bad match up for us this year. A four-seed is probably too low but a 3 sounds right.

Memphis is a middle of the road team like they've been the entire time under Pastner (yet still KO'd Louisville twice) and Cincy is a one-man team that'll likely lose in the first weekend. The AAC just isn't that good.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If SMU wanted to be in the tournament, they shouldn't have lost to South Florida, Temple, and Houston. I feel bad for Larry Brown and co. but SMU wasn't any sort of outrageous snub - their RPI was 57 and they had 3 really bad losses.

Of course, the fact that N.C. State got in over SMU is absolute bull .

when you're on the bubble, you have an imperfect resume

I'm not arguing SMU should be in, I'm just saying their competition had the same issues they did

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
They had just 4 top 100 RPI wins (they were all top 50 wins though) and had 3 sub 150 RPI loses, Couple that with a 300 ranked Non-conference SOS and you've got the reason why they didn't get in. I didn't understand why they were considered a lock by everyone.

I had been tracking NC State all season (because UC played them in Nov) and they were trending towards the bubble all year, yet ESPN refused to mention them as a bubble team. They easily should have beat Syracuse on the road and UNC at home which would have made them a lock. Not surprised they got in.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I wasn't even thinking of that, it's a very interesting question. Would we have been a 9 without the two ranked wins this week?

I think Cincy was ranked 19th on their list and UConn was 26th.

UMass is 23rd!!

And tomorrow, when the rankings come out, a four-seed will be ranked third in the country.

This was willful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22