Bria...is the bomb | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bria...is the bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
she was a star for us in tournament last year

I think Bria's legacy at Uconn will be her ability to step up seemingly whenever her team needs her to. Example: I think back to the Notre Dame game in last year's Final Four. Bria drove to the basket on a fast break, put up a shot and got it blocked (monstrously) by Skylar Diggins. Few plays later, she drove to the basket on Diggins and again, the same result. A monstrous block by Skylar bringing the crowd and even the game announcers into an utter hoopla.

Most players, having experienced something like that multiple times, would hesitate if not completely stop driving to the basket altogether. Not Bria. She stuck to the game plan and remained relentless in her attack to the basket. She got blocked at least one more time in those attacks I believe, but she also converted an and-one in that stretch as well.

Uconn needed a little extra something to get over that Notre Dame hump last year and she gave it to them. I am a fan of Hartley because she's fearless. Not much seems to phase her on the basketball court...not even a bad shooting night. I'm glad to see that it is not going unrecognized.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I wonder why Bria is rarely taken off the floor????? Hmmm. Even last year after the Doty start in the Tmt games
superbriasm.png
How and where do you guys come up with this stuff???? Awesome!!!!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I think Bria's legacy at Uconn will be her ability to step up seemingly whenever her team needs her to. Example: I think back to the Notre Dame game in last year's Final Four. Bria drove to the basket on a fast break, put up a shot and got it blocked (monstrously) by Skylar Diggins. Few plays later, she drove to the basket on Diggins and again, the same result. A monstrous block by Skylar bringing the crowd and even the game announcers into an utter hoopla.

Most players, having experienced something like that multiple times, would hesitate if not completely stop driving to the basket altogether. Not Bria. She stuck to the game plan and remained relentless in her attack to the basket. She got blocked at least one more time in those attacks I believe, but she also converted an and-one in that stretch as well.

Uconn needed a little extra something to get over that Notre Dame hump last year and she gave it to them. I am a fan of Hartley because she's fearless. Not much seems to phase her on the basketball court...not even a bad shooting night. I'm glad to see that it is not going unrecognized.
Great points and it was that crazy pull up jumper and I think her 3 right after or b 4 that right side pull up that electrified UC b 4 the half- in between the Stewie show!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just a reminder for the youngins but when most of us 60 and north hear the word bomb it meant "to collapse in performance and to fail." Oh, how language is fluid. A lesson I am forever teaching to folks in Bible study.

Reaction Score
the term "competitor" in the dictionary could have a picture of bria next to it. she never,ever stops competing. a big part of the reason why she was an outstanding soccer and lacrosse player, also. i don't think i've seen her equal at uconn, maybe maya being the closest. no matter how tough things go for her, she still carries herself on the court with great confidence. how special to feel so sure of yourself. that's just the way she appears to me all of the time. obviously, geno really believes in her.

Reaction Score
Bria's answer to a PSU media question:

Q: Was today a fresh start for you offensively?A: I usually try not to think about bad shooting games, like Maryland.

because she had a good game today does not change the fact that she had a bad shooting game against Maryland.

A direct quote from Bria herself, supports my specific comment (about one game and one facet of the game). For all those who feel the need to defend her off game by expanding on other facets of her game and expand things to her brilliant career, Bria can obviously take the criticism.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
the term "competitor" in the dictionary could have a picture of bria next to it. she never,ever stops competing. a big part of the reason why she was an outstanding soccer and lacrosse player, also. i don't think i've seen her equal at uconn, maybe maya being the closest. no matter how tough things go for her, she still carries herself on the court with great confidence. how special to feel so sure of yourself. that's just the way she appears to me all of the time. obviously, geno really believes in her.
Your description of Bria is spot on but I have seen what seems like an almost endless line of kids like that at UCONN. I have never seen DT or Sue Bird yield an inch when it came to competing. The stories of their rivalries at virtually every game they played for fun are the things of legend. Bria is right there with the best but I could never sort out the number of great competitors we have been blessed to watch.

Reaction Score

Maybe Maya?
Maybe Diana?
Maybe Sue?
Maybe Kelly?
Maybe Jamelle?
Maybe.....
you have discounted alot of great competetors During the years.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would throw in Mel Thomas and Kalana Greene and Jen Rizzotti and Shea Ralph, too.

We have been truly blessed.

Reaction Score
bria has developed into a tenacious defender, starting towards the end of last season.the way she competes, and is effective, at both ends of the court now is what i think separates her from the many other great uconn competitors. diana and sue , great at the offensive end, kelly and kalana strong defenders, maya was flashy at the defensive end, but i never thought her to be a great defender.maybe shea and jen are the closest at both ends of the floor, but my memory is a bit vague. i love bria's comment that her defense of lucas began with trying not to let her get her hands on the ball. that's quite the task that she set for herself. she was in lucas' face most of the time. and then the ball would head the other way and she often was leading the attack down the court. a most impressive performance, at both ends of the court.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bria's season last year may have been lost to her sprained ankle but it put the fire in her for this year to raise her game and take it to a new level. Like all seniors she knows it is her last rodeo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom