Bria Hartley question | The Boneyard

Bria Hartley question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Bria was playing for say TEN, and putting up the same kind of numbers,
would you say she is playing like an AA ?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Her three point shooting has been disappointing, but all her other numbers are AA.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Stats at UCONN are different. There are 7 or 8 UCONN players who could score as well, or better than the top scorer on most teams. The points get spread around, starters have to sit more. I think she is AA.

Reaction Score
Bria Hartley has been my favorite player since her freshman year. I've loved her aggressiveness, relentless drives to the basket and her stop on a dime mid-range jumpers. She is obviously a great player but her poor outside shooting unfortunately means she isn't a first team all-american.

Reaction Score
Bria Hartley has been my favorite player since her freshman year. I've loved her aggressiveness, relentless drives to the basket and her stop on a dime mid-range jumpers. She is obviously a great player but her poor outside shooting unfortunately means she isn't a first team all-american.

I don't think there is a better player in college wbb at that stop on a dime mid-range shooter. She is also a good 2pt shooter in general
which is why I don't understand she keeps on shooting 3 which seems outside her range (as far as accuracy is concerned). I guess that
is why Geno says she is stubborn.

Reaction Score
There are times when Bria looks like a first team AA player. Right now I don't think her numbers are AA caliber--just a bit below. We'll see where she is at the end of the season. Either way she's a wonderful competitor and will end up having had a fantastic career at UConn.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bria's biggest issue is her decision making at times.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
At times I see Bria trying to hard to make something happen. It almost seems like she' thinking that she has to score to help the team. That's when she's not playing well. When she just plays her game and not forcing shots or driving out of control is when she's an AA. I'm not sure the WBCA will select four UConn players for their All American team. Because of that I think Bria will be the player not selected and Stef, Stewie and Kaleena will make their All American team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think a really good question, and i would say that her shooting percentage gives me cause for concern. The rest of her game is great but at the moment she has had to many bad shooting nights and that is not inconsequential for a combo guard.

Reaction Score

Heck yeah. AA's struggle with their shot or decision making, it happens. But the thing that I like about Bria and makes her AA worthy, and she is one of my favorite players all-time, is that she fights through it. Sure on TV she looks calm, which is good. But we have seen where some players struggle with a shot or make a turnover and they "check-out" of a game. They just disappear. Bria is just as cool as the other side of the pillow. She will make that bad pass. Coach gets on her about it :). He may pull her from the game for awhile. But when she gets back on the court, she has put that put it behind her. She has that short memory. But that is my girl and I would say that she is playing like an AA.

HGN

Reaction Score
If Bria was playing for the Lady Vols , or any other team , I would still say she was playing like an AA. All-American's do what's necessary to Win....... Its not always about being the leading scorer. Sometimes its about providing Leadership , playing good defense , rebounding , or assists. Doing the necessary things to bring about Wins and Championships. Bria's experience has taught her to try to provide whatever the Huskies need during the game. If its defense , or feeding the post , or providing a calming Leadership role , that's what she does. Leaders and AA do that.

If a player just concentrates on scoring they can either shoot you into a game. Or they can shoot you out of a game. Because thats all they know how to do.. But an AA may see that others can provide the necessary scoring that night and all thats needed from the AA is Leadership and good defense to secure a win. Knowing whats needed and providing whats necessary is signs of an AA.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Here's an interesting follow-up question:
Is Jefferson playing better than Hartley up to this point? This is not speaking to senior leadership and what Hartley means to the team but purely looking at the 27-29 minutes of time on the floor each game. Bria has scored more points but MoJeff's shooting percentage is about 100 points higher, assists and TOs are almost exactly the same, Bria leads in rebounds, MoJeff in steals.
They are both playing really well and this isn't an attempt to put one down to raise the other up.
I would say it is a toss-up at this point.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Luckily for Bria and most other players, they don't give out first team AA trophies at mid-season. Right now Bria is in a shooting slump that is even effecting her mid range jumper. Hopefully she'll come out of it in the Temple game.

Little Mo is my favorite player (first among equals) so I''m too prejudiced to answer the question.

Reaction Score
Here's an interesting follow-up question:
Is Jefferson playing better than Hartley up to this point? This is not speaking to senior leadership and what Hartley means to the team but purely looking at the 27-29 minutes of time on the floor each game. Bria has scored more points but MoJeff's shooting percentage is about 100 points higher, assists and TOs are almost exactly the same, Bria leads in rebounds, MoJeff in steals.
They are both playing really well and this isn't an attempt to put one down to raise the other up.
I would say it is a toss-up at this point.

Let me give an answer this way...if I'm an opponent, I figure out a way to stop Hartley. I don't do that with Jefferson.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Let me give an answer this way...if I'm an opponent, I figure out a way to stop Hartley. I don't do that with Jefferson.
Good point, but I am not sure that is answering the same question I asked. You may fear Hartley going off on you for 20+ points, but you might actually do better in the game if you force MoJeff into a bad game because that would cut into everyone else's efficiency including Hartley's.
I would say the USA under 19 team was a similar situation - I believe MoJeff led in minutes played and yet scored very little, but her coach identified her as the key to the teams success. I am sure no team went into the games focused on stopping MoJeff and they probably do not approach the USA National team games focused on stopping Sue Bird - but it doesn't mean she hasn't been the most important guard to USA success over the past Olympics and WCs (or for Seattle in the W.)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
As senior, Bria just gets to play for NINE. But speaking of UTenn, that's an interesting thought because they have a WBCA Wade Watch candidate who plays the same position as Bria, and I guess then she's considered an AA possible. So stats so far are:

Player-----MPG---FG%---3pt%---FT%---RPG---APG---ST---B---TO---PPG
Hartley----29.9---.441----.267----.705----3.8----4.6-----31----1----28---13.4
Simmons--25.4---.401----.321----.783----2.9----2.2-----12----0----40---13.7

The assist/TO ratio is 2.6 for Hartley and 0.8 for Simmons. Maybe this is kind of a cheap comparison and not the kind Hartley deserves, and she has struggled with the 3pt shot, but man would UTenn love to swap in Hartley's stats for their preseason guard AA candidate, and if they did they might be the #2 team in the nation. On defense, big edge for Hartley.

Reaction Score
Stats at UCONN are different. There are 7 or 8 UCONN players who could score as well, or better than the top scorer on most teams. The points get spread around, starters have to sit more. I think she is AA.

I agree with your post but the nunbers may work againsts her. UCONN has 3 for sure AA's. Stewart, Dolson and KML. Hard to believe the voters will put 4 Huskies on a 5 players AA First Team. She may make it on serveral of the 10 player First Team AA votes. Either way she already has a spot on the wall, as does Stef. Both deserve to be there.

Reaction Score
You don't do that with Jefferson because you can't. She drives to the basket, and with her speed the only way to stop her is to foul her.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Suebird10fan said:
There are times when Bria looks like a first team AA player. Right now I don't think her numbers are AA caliber--just a bit below. We'll see where she is at the end of the season. Either way she's a wonderful competitor and will end up having had a fantastic career at UConn.
. I agree with this in general, but it's WHEN those times are that she looks first-team AA that are so critical. If her best game is against shoddy conference competition, who cares? If she puts up games against ranked competition that mirror what she did against Stanford and Penn State, that puts her at the AA level in my book.

And she's certainly a first team AA in my heart at this point. So that's clearly another measurable criterion.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Playing like an AA and being an AA are two different things - I think at this point Sims is a lock for first team AA which only leave one other guard spot on a five man AA team, and probably three on a 10 player team. So ... in the first instance is Bria the second best guard in the country this year at this moment ... I think not. The 10 player team is a little tougher, but there would certainly be arguments in favor of three other guards over Bria.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I agree with your post but the nunbers may work againsts her. UCONN has 3 for sure AA's. Stewart, Dolson and KML. Hard to believe the voters will put 4 Huskies on a 5 players AA First Team. She may make it on serveral of the 10 player First Team AA votes. Either way she already has a spot on the wall, as does Stef. Both deserve to be there.

Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom