Breanna still NPOY | The Boneyard

Breanna still NPOY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You cant compare players. First they play different positions and UConn and ND have different pieces/players in the mix. If you want to try put and Stewie on ND and Lloyd on UConn and see what the numbers would be like. There has never been a player in WCBB that can compare with Stewie. None. Diana was the Greatest and it aint close. Maya was Great. Stewie can do more then both and you can add Holdsclaw and Parker in the mix. Stewie is more athletic with a windspan of 7'+ and can do it all. Breanna is the best player in WCBB and it aint even close and I don't care what the media says. Lloyd is great on ND but compared to Breanna well it isn't fair because Breanna can do so much more. If you want to argue if you needed a basket would you want Lloyd or Stewie taking the shot. In that case I would rather have KML take the shot. Just saying shes the best shooter in WCBB. If you want to argue who would you want handling the ball well I would take MoJeff who IMO is the best point guard in WCBB. So lets not compare. The biggest difference is Stewie can do more then any player who has ever played WCBB and that's why she is and has been the NPOY.

Let me tell you a story. Back when Stewie was in Junior High I got a phone call from a friend who told me he just saw the greatest post player he ever saw. Now his daughters grew up with Kia Vaughn Danielle Wilson and Tina Charles. He told me Breanna handled the ball like a guard, could dunk and could shoot the trey and play the middle like no one he had ever seen. He said he called Mike Flynn and Mike was coming from Philly to sign her with the Belles. He said you should call Geno. I cant remember if I called Geno's asst Sarah or emailed the asst coaches or both. He told me she wanted to play only for UConn and Geno and nobody else. I was kept informed of how Breanna was doing from friends who were following her. They kept saying she only wants to play for Geno. Then in her Soph or Junioe year in HS I got a call from a friend who said she wanted to verbal to UConn. I passed the info along and within a couple of days Geno was quoted in the papers as saying something like we have a spot for Breanna but we're not offering her until the end of her junior year. I continued to hear the stories about Breanna and what she could do. Sometimes I thought thye might be exaggerating but those people telling me about her had credibility and I knew they were being truthful with me. The rest is history.

Reaction Score
Jilll Loyd can only do half the things that Stewie does. The player of the year is Stewie and I don't know why there is any debate.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
PalPa said:
Jilll Loyd can only do half the things that Stewie does. The player of the year is Stewie and I don't know why there is any debate.

Jill Loyd? Is that Jewels little sister or is Mike Patrick in our midst?!?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
You cant compare players.

Comparing players is literally the point of a player of the year award. All of the players are compared against each other and then one player is given the award. That determination has to be made somehow, whether you use stats or just go by "feel."

There are actually a lot of statistic-based reasons for supporting Breanna over Loyd.

Reaction Score
I agree with Tonyc whole heartedly! But I'd bet the ranch that Jewell Loyd gets the Outstanding Player award because of STATS! The media is too stupid to look at the fact that ND has 1 great player, Loyd and 1 good player, Turner, so Loyd has to dominate the stats for ND to have a chance to win each night! While with her supporting crew Stewie isn't required to score 30 points, 20 rb's, 8 assts, etc. so the quality of her team-mates will hurt Stewie! If you look at what Stewie does during a game, especially the last month, there is NO DOUBT who is the most talented/most valuable player in WCBB, this year and until Breanna graduates! She has taken her game to another level! Her movement, inside, outside, & all around play has made her even better than earlier in the year! It's crunch time and Stewie is stepping up big time! And it makes me puke thinking of "the Muffett", smugness if Loyd is named MO!

Reaction Score
I fail to see the STATS favoring Jewel Loyd over Stewie. Loyd has played 118 more minutes ( 892 vs 774 ) in 29 games (that's the equivalent of nearly 3full games). Loyd has 11 more fielf goals on 80 more shots, 5 more 3's on 8 more shots, 84 more freethrows on 95 more attempts. Why Stewie doesn't get more foul shots is a mystery. Loyd has fewer rebounds ( 149 vs 196 ), 6 more assists ( 95 vs 89 ), more turnovers ( 67 vs 55 ), fewer steals ( 44 vs 46 ) and fewer blocks ( 15 vs 68 ). The only STATS that favor Loyd are total points ( in 3 more games ), and free throw attempts.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Well, points per game favors Loyd, too: 20.9 vs. 17.0. It's not the last word but it's a big one and it would be a reasonable guess for what prompted this post, either directly or indirectly.

If you consider scoring rates on per-40 minute basis, that also favors Loyd: 27.1 and Stewie: 25.5.

Stewie doesn't have to carry as much of her team's scoring load compared to Loyd, obviously. So, do you hold the fact that Stewie has better teammates against her? Or, do you look at Loyd and say that she has to do it and she is, in fact, doing it?

I think Loyd is a more important player to ND than Stewie is to UConn but that Stewie is a better player.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but it ain't gonna be Stewie, at least not this year. Is she the premier player in the country? Of course. There are 64 teams about to enter the big tourney. If you took UConn and ND out of the equation, and you told the head coaches of the other 62 teams they could "raid" the two remaining teams of just one player to enhance their chances for the tournament, we all know it wouldn't be close....goodbye Stewie. I'm not one of those people who whine, "Oh, the media is against us." Sounds too much like a ND fan's typical lament. But, on this one, the "fix" is already in. The media has decided that it's Jewell's turn, end of story. When she wins this honor, which she will by default, I hope the UConn coaches and players make a very public show of cheering lustily in appreciation of her....never wanna stoop to Muffett's level. Jewell is, after all, a great player. We UConn fans will just have to settle, and content ourselves with Title #10!

Reaction Score
Being a great player means offense, and defense, Jewell will probably get player of the year because most voters don't watch the defensive side. The South Carolina game, the pre-game talk was how would UConn handle their size inside? Stewie showed she's quicker, and gave them problems offensively, and defensively made them miss many shots inside, including a number of air-balls from less then 5 feet. Teams game plan for Stewie on both ends of the floor.

Reaction Score
I fail to see the STATS favoring Jewel Loyd over Stewie. Loyd has played 118 more minutes ( 892 vs 774 ) in 29 games (that's the equivalent of nearly 3full games). Loyd has 11 more fielf goals on 80 more shots, 5 more 3's on 8 more shots, 84 more freethrows on 95 more attempts. Why Stewie doesn't get more foul shots is a mystery. Loyd has fewer rebounds ( 149 vs 196 ), 6 more assists ( 95 vs 89 ), more turnovers ( 67 vs 55 ), fewer steals ( 44 vs 46 ) and fewer blocks ( 15 vs 68 ). The only STATS that favor Loyd are total points ( in 3 more games ), and free throw attempts.

DriveLH- - -The talking suits are bringing up 21 points PPG avg., etc. but they really have to take in effect each's role on their team and it's clearly evident who's the MOP! There's a lot of media talking up Loyd!

Reaction Score
I went and calculated production, on both sides of the ball, for both players. Stewart scores more field goals on fewer shots per minute, rebounds better, assists better, steals quicker, blocks more and turns over less. The real difference in scoring is Loyd's 97 extra foul shots. The FLOP is successful.

Reaction Score
This is kind of a ridiculous question. Every one knows that if Stewie entered the draft after this season she would be the #1 pick. If any coach could pick just one player, we all know they would take Stewie and not the Jewelly-oop. Stewie has already won more championships than Jewell ever will. Stewie's a winner. She's the best player in America, even if Swin and Lobo don't agree.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There's a difference between the best, or most talented, player in the nation and the award for NPOY. I have no problem if Loyd wins it. But I also agree with those who have essentially said this:

Loyd has taken 443 shots in 29 games. That's actually twice the number of Turner, the 2nd leading scorer at 222. She's averaging over 15.2 shot attempts per game. Stewie has taken 367, or 12.6 shots per game. Tuck and KML are almost at 300 shots per game at 286 and 277 respectively. My point is that Loyd has taken about 75 more shot attempts than Stewie. I think that difference, assuming Stewie would hit at her 54% FG% average were she to take more, would put their PPG stats at an almost identical number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom