Breanna Stewart gets no cut of the pie | The Boneyard

Breanna Stewart gets no cut of the pie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Jeff Jacob article about the Ed O'Bannon vs The NCAA case

"The O'Bannon decision only covers football and men's basketball scholarship athletes."

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If the results of the O'Bannon suit ever become law, the NCAA will be required to implement Stipends/Benefits for other sports. Someone will file a gender bias suit, and she'll win.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
WARNING: Article contains bleatings from known pantload Walt Harrison.

Reaction Score
I believe the O'Bannon case has to do with revenue from selling likenesses of individual players (names, uniform numbers, etc.). How much $$ do you think UCONN (for example) really gets from selling individual player-related items? If you go through the whole UCONN online shop there are football jerseys with numbers 48, 82, 85, and 99 (and a dog sweater with #87), and framed picture/plaques for 59 (Stephen) and 33 (Smallwood). There are zero items with any WBB name or uniform number for sale. And I haven't seen the new Breanna Stewart-covered Madden 2015 WCBB game for XBox yet.

Regarding the "full cost of attendance" stipends, that is probably challengeable on a gender equity basis. This will be a survival threat to all other sports even at the big football schools, and probably force the wannabe football schools like UCONN to forego the stipend in football and mens BB and settle for being in an "amateur" football league.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Arizona is being pro-active and announcing they will sell no player's jersey numbers. All jerseys sold will have the year number on them. I'm pretty certain they didn't do women in any case.

Likewise Rutgers virtually never did women's jerseys, I think Pondexter was an exception and it didn't have her name on it IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom