Bravo to Taliek & Tony and SCREW THE NCAA!!! | The Boneyard

Bravo to Taliek & Tony and SCREW THE NCAA!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The penalties thrown at UCONN have ALWAYS stuck in my craw. Yeah I know things weren't always done the right way BUT to try(and some media types relished the opportunity) to drag Jim Calhoun's reputation through the mud was just wrong in every way it could be wrong. This is a great story in the New London Day(Nan also has it posted in today's news links). And it is written by Mike Dimauro of all people.

"It should also be noted that those of us who have been critical of what we perceived as Calhoun's laissez-faire attitude toward academics get a piece of humble pie the size of a rear tire.
Note to UConn and Calhoun: bravo.
"We keep in constant contact with the kids. Jim, especially, doesn't give up on them," Blaney said. "We ask them about their lives and how we can help. It's about getting them to do the right thing for themselves. Different guys get it at different times."
Tony and Taliek got it in their early 30s. The point: They got it. Their stories cannot get told enough."

Link: The NCAA(and the damn media) Can't Touch Who Jim Calhoun Is!!

GO HUSKIES!!!

images

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Calhoun was never laissez-faire toward education. I'll never forget a Ray Allen profile from a decade ago. The interview was held in an art museum because Ray wanted to catch an exhibition on a rare off day. "How did you get into art, Ray?" asked the writer. Allen said it went back to his college days where he said Coach Calhoun would bring the team to different cultural experiences during road trips. Stuff like museums, historical sites and theater. The art really resonated with Ray and his interest in it continued. That's education. The APR has nothing to do with education.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Great article. Proud of those guys. What a great family we have in the University and UConn athletics.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering what the policy is at UConn on seniors being allowed to walk at graduation. I keep reading stories about players finishing their degrees years later who were in cap and gown.

Reaction Score
Taliek's degree should be rolled up and put inside his Ring. Good for both of them. It ain't easy swallowing your pride at an 'older' age and return to school to complete what you started. At any age, to reach your goal should be commended and celebrated.

In the business world a college education isn't as meaningful as it used to be but to the individual its everything its meant to be. It does however give one an edge over those who haven't got one.

So proud of both of them, and of our coaching staff!!

Reaction Score
Two of my favorite Huskies of all time. Great to hear.

Reaction Score
Good for both of them.......2 different stories though and very interesting. Congrats to these great huskies!

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Not for nothing.....

But, since we all are in agreement that the APR is a crap statistic......

Maybe we should start to compile the real graduation rates for our teams' members....

Because, IMHO, it is truly what these young men and women become that defines the institution's success rate, not some made up NCAA sanctioned BS.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"We keep in constant contact with the kids. ...," Blaney said. "We ask them about their lives and how we can help.

Along these lines, I got a chance to chat with JC yesterday for just a few minutes. I told him my brother was at Northeastern when he coached there. I told him my brother's favorite player was Mark Halsel. JC mentioned that he was just talking to Halsel the night before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom