Brandon Austin could decide this week-Zags | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Brandon Austin could decide this week-Zags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My point with Austin is, he would likely be our 4th guard, so he wouldn't see very many minutes. .
He's listed as a 6 6 small forward. Sure his game is more perimeter oriented, ESPN even calls him a "point forward" but it seems like with that size and being such a solid recruit, he'd have a shot pretty immediately. This would give us the opportunity to use A LOT of different combinations rather than the 3 guard one we essentially have to use this year. Facey will provide some inside presence, Nolan could become good, and we'll have every other big man we have now back... Austin's size and skill set would be very valuable and I think it's hard to label him as simply a guard.

Reaction Score
To say he wouldn't play ahead of Omar Calhoun is asinine.

I think you're going overboard there. Ledo's a talented player, no doubt. More highly coveted than Calhoun too. But I dont think it's "asinine" to think that Calhoun could beat him out. Ledo's a headcase and a half. I don't think it would be crazy to predict that he never plays a college basketball game. So it wouldn't be crazy to predict that a hard working, disciplined kid like Calhoun, who's no slouch talent-wise, could beat him out in practice. Unless you set your lineup based on Scout's rankings or something.

Reaction Score
Per Dave Telep...Eerily quiet on the Brandon Austin front. Still the Good Guys, PC and TX in the discussion.

Reaction Score
Per Reggie Rankin....PussC, UConn, TX, Temple...in that order. Just a guy feeling though he says.

Reaction Score
I think you're going overboard there. Ledo's a talented player, no doubt. More highly coveted than Calhoun too. But I dont think it's "asinine" to think that Calhoun could beat him out. Ledo's a headcase and a half. I don't think it would be crazy to predict that he never plays a college basketball game. So it wouldn't be crazy to predict that a hard working, disciplined kid like Calhoun, who's no slouch talent-wise, could beat him out in practice. Unless you set your lineup based on Scout's rankings or something.

Ledo does everything that Calhoun does except he's two inches taller and he does it at a higher level. It's great to talk about hard work and discipline, but at the end of the day it comes down to talent. And there is a talent discrepancy here.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
For those who are directly tweeting Austin to sign to UConn, stop doing what you're doing.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Indeed. We don't need more violations

Reaction Score
If this kid doesn't realize the opportunity he could have by coming here over Providence, we shouldn't want him anyway. Good luck at PC.

Reaction Score
For those who are directly tweeting Austin to sign to UConn, stop doing what you're doing.

Fan support does matter to players. For example, the crowd size and noise at a midnight madness can help sway a player to one school over another. However, I do agree that an overzealous fan is definitely a turnoff. People want to be celebrities, but don't want to get harassed.

Reaction Score
Fan support does matter to players. For example, the crowd size and noise at a midnight madness can help sway a player to one school over another. However, I do agree that an overzealous fan is definitely a turnoff. People want to be celebrities, but don't want to get harassed.

UConn hasn't had a good track record of signing kids who came for "midnight madness/first night". I guess our students aren't loud & rowdy enough. ;)

Reaction Score
Ledo does everything that Calhoun does except he's two inches taller and he does it at a higher level. It's great to talk about hard work and discipline, but at the end of the day it comes down to talent. And there is a talent discrepancy here.

Lennie Cooke disagrees. I mean, don't forget you're talking about a purportedly top 5 talent who signed with Providence. That usually means something.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
something creepy about tweeting 17 yr olds who aren't your relatives
Agree with the premise here as it relates to adults but let's not forget that there are tons of 14 year olds on twitter as well. To a high school freshman, a 5 star basketball recruit considering said 14 year old's favorite team is a larger than life figure.

mets1090

Reaction Score
something creepy about tweeting 17 yr olds who aren't your relatives
Agree with the premise here as it relates to adults but let's not forget that there are tons of 14 year olds on twitter as well. To a high school freshman, a 5 star basketball recruit considering said 14 year old's favorite team is a larger than life figure.

Reaction Score
UConn hasn't had a good track record of signing kids who came for "midnight madness/first night". I guess our students aren't loud & rowdy enough. ;)

Not compared to a Kentucky or Kansas most years. I believe the number of passionate fans of UConn basketball is growing, but compared to most other top basketball schools we are lagging behind. I think most recruits value TV exposure, coaching ability, and academic education most. It's about fame and future career/ financial success.

Reaction Score
Lennie Cooke disagrees. I mean, don't forget you're talking about a purportedly top 5 talent who signed with Providence. That usually means something.

I understand what you're saying, but how many times has UConn had two very similar players(size and position wise) and not have the more talented player start?

Reaction Score
Huge talent, not sure how that translates to the court with a team. But if he puts out on both ends there's no keeping him off for sure!!

john, asinine is incorrect. They may be wrong to think he's not better talent wise, but that's not to say he impresses the coach enough to trot him out there. Certainly would think he finds a way to be the man, but you just never know. If anyone believes he doesn't have more talent than anyone on the UConn roster though, they're wrong!

caw

Reaction Score
I understand what you're saying, but how many times has UConn had two very similar players(size and position wise) and not have the more talented player start?

Ray Allen vs Ollie/Sheffer
Charlie V vs Okafor/Boone
Gordon vs Brown/Robertson
Denham vs Anderson was pretty close, one started half the year, the other started the other half
Walker vs Austrie the second half of 2009

Those are the most prominent examples.

caw

Reaction Score
Huge talent, not sure how that translates to the court with a team. But if he puts out on both ends there's no keeping him off for sure!!

john, asinine is incorrect. They may be wrong to think he's not better talent wise, but that's not to say he impresses the coach enough to trot him out there. Certainly would think he finds a way to be the man, but you just never know. If anyone believes he doesn't have more talent than anyone on the UConn roster though, they're wrong!

Ahh but FriarJ said "best player" not most talented. Vastly different statements.

Reaction Score
Amen FriarJ. One of the very few areas where I am completely in agreement with you.

mets1090

Reaction Score
While I think this is a hilarious response and agree with the sentiment, isn't he like 6'6? No way he's a point right?

And if someone says point forward I might kill myself :eek:

Reaction Score
Ray Allen vs Ollie/Sheffer
Charlie V vs Okafor/Boone
Gordon vs Brown/Robertson
Denham vs Anderson was pretty close, one started half the year, the other started the other half
Walker vs Austrie the second half of 2009

Those are the most prominent examples.

Charlie V and Boone play the same positions but they're very different players and were different players as freshmen back in 03-04. Boone was a great second rebounder and Charlie was an emerging inside out threat. Not to mention, Charlie was out for the first semester, so he was late to break into the fold.

In those three other cases you're dealing with a freshman and juniors/seniors, which is different in this case with two freshmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom