Bracketology | The Boneyard

Bracketology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe this is Charlie Creme's first bracketology of the year. He has us playing against Kentucky in the Albany region final. LINK

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Note that all eight #1 and #2 seeds are projected to play first two games at home. Probably guarantees they all advance to Sweet Sixteen and gives a boost to attendance stats. [On second thought, delete "probably."]

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Note that all eight #1 and #2 seeds are projected to play first two games at home. Probably guarantees they all advance to Sweet Sixteen and gives a boost to attendance stats. [On second thought, delete "probably."]
Kib, this is one of the new changes to the tournament rules starting this season. And not just 1 and 2 seeds, but all top 16 teams (seeds 1-4) play at home for the first 2 rounds before the winner of each site is sent off to "neutral" regional sites. This represents a reversion to a former method that was originally scrapped because people complained it gave an unfair advantage to the favorites. But the top 16 seeds hosting has the benefit of boosting attendance in the first 2 rounds of the tournament, and the NCAA reasoned that empty tournament venues on TV is more damaging to the game than the added benefit of home field advantage in the first 2 rounds. This method also removes the possibility of a more highly ranked team playing on the court of a lower seeded team, which has benefitted lower seeds in recent years (e.g., Gonzaga and LSU).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Has Cal. winning the PAC 12 Conference tournament and getting the automatic bid.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Penn State under Rene Portland lost one of those type of games 20 years ago.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Saw Kentucky as 2 in our bracket 2 days ago and tried to imagine being in the room with M Mitchell when he saw that. Anybody know how to get blood and brain matter of my UConn sweatshirt?? ;)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Looks like the "Strong" SEC Conference is off to a questionable start. LSU gets blown out at home by Arkansas Little Rock, 70-54. Creme had LSU as a 7 seed. Wan't a big fan of Nikki Caldwell when she was at UCLA. No tears for the loss.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Not to pick on another conference, but the UCLA Bruins, picked as an 8th seed by Creme, have blown a 12 point half point lead and now trail JMU by 3 points with about 7 minutes left.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Pretty much, maybe, but then again maybe not. The last time the system was used in 2002, three top-4 seeds -- Iowa State, Baylor, and Purdue -- were gracious hosts and lost in 2nd round. UTenn got to play #11 seed BYU in the 3rd round.

There will be some upsets, and 3 of 16 might be the number again.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Crème's crystal ball is a joke. Determining brackets and the exact seeding for 64 teams before one single game has been played is an exercise in ABSURDITY.
well said

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Crème's crystal ball is a joke. Determining brackets and the exact seeding for 64 teams before one single game has been played is an exercise in ABSURDITY.
He does it to get hits on the website and for people to talk about him. From that perspective, I'd say he was highly successful.

Reaction Score
The new rules (teams from the same conference can't be in the top 4 of the same region) make bracketing tricky.

Using the Boneyard Top 24 (http://the-boneyard.com/threads/the-boneyard-top-24.67551/), I end up with this:

ALBNY -- 1 UConn, 5 TxA&M, 12 Lou, 16 W Va, 20 Rutgers
GBORO -- 3 SoCar, 6 UNC__, _9 Md_, 14 UCLA, 19 DePaul
OKL C -- 2 NDame, 8 Texas, 10 Ky_, 15 Stan, 18 Mich St
SPOKN -- 4 Tenn_, 7 Baylr, 11 Cal, 13 Duke, 17 Ore St

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Charlie has been doing Bracketology for years and there's nothing absurd about it... unless you're calling all the ink writers have spent projecting conference results, POY, FOY absurd. Can't imagine what you think of team previews.

It's a starting point of discussion - a measure throughout the year. It's what's needed for the game - men OR women's - to engage the fan base in a way that invites them to think outside their own team.

If you don't want to engage, feel free not to.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Looking at the ultrasound of our unborn son, my wife exclaimed "he's got your lips." I wasn't even aware I had distinctive lips. A few months later, we was born and she was right. I thought she was just trying to convince me he was mine. :eek:

Regarding Bracketology at this point in the season -- of course it's too early to be sure of too much other than the very top teams, but it's fun. And it's interesting to watch it develop.

Reaction Score
Creme is going to rework his braketology! Does he actually get paid for doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom