box score | The Boneyard

box score

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Overall, just real nice. The assists were down, meaning that the assist per FG and assist per TO ratios were slightly or moderately behind better times, and for that you can kind of blame MoJeff and Bria for their steals that led to easy lay-ups but no assists, though Memphis players could have been credited with assists on the plays. Shows why stats often have a hidden story behind them.

Tierney Lawlor at 46.7% for season on 3s, pushing KML who remains at an even 50% for team lead. Some at certain scurrilously anti-Husky fandoms would question the anti-homecooking of 24 to 4 difference in FTAs in UConn's favor, but it all amounts to how you play the game (in the paint), and the 12 to 18 difference in PFs wasn't that huge.

Hate to call fouls on the commentating, but some of Megan Culmo's comments were just inane. "I think Dolson got away with a walk." Well, yeah, when someone is holding on to your arm while you're trying to complete a layup it can somehow look that way, but why not listen to the ref's view in this case, which is that foul occurred? And the "Terrible turnover" statement on a lob beneath the basket where Stewart looked to be impeded and couldn't reach the pass? Good idea that didn't quite work out. To me a terrible turnover is when you telegraph a pass in midcourt and MoJeff swoops in and takes it the other way for an easy layup. That hurts your team in a couple of ways.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hate to call fouls on the commentating, but some of Megan Culmo's comments were just inane. "I think Dolson got away with a walk." Well, yeah, when someone is holding on to your arm while you're trying to complete a layup it can somehow look that way, but why not listen to the ref's view in this case, which is that foul occurred? And the "Terrible turnover" statement on a lob beneath the basket where Stewart looked to be impeded and couldn't reach the pass? Good idea that didn't quite work out. To me a terrible turnover is when you telegraph a pass in midcourt and MoJeff swoops in and takes it the other way for an easy layup. That hurts your team in a couple of ways.
I didn't have any problem with those two comments. On the first look, it did look like she got away with a walk. That's the way it "looked". On the replay, yea you could see what really happened. She didn't have that second look. And Jefferson's pass was terrible. No way on God's green earth anyone was getting to that. Being held had nothing to do with it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some of my favorite stats:

KML had 2 PFs, only 1 in the first half. Huge! Good job, Kaleena!

Team was 22-24 on FTs. Good fundamentals. Saniya is shooting .864, the team is at .747.

Kaleena was 5-10 on treys, 2-2 inside the arc, and added 6 boards and 4 assists.

Stef had 12 and 10. Her rebounding is much improved this year.

Stewie did a little of everything: 17, 8, 3, 1, 1.

7 steals from Bria and Moriah.

TLaw was 1-1 from the arc. :)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I didn't have any problem with those two comments. On the first look, it did look like she got away with a walk. That's the way it "looked". On the replay, yea you could see what really happened. She didn't have that second look. And Jefferson's pass was terrible. No way on God's green earth anyone was getting to that. Being held had nothing to do with it.
Um, well, as a viewer I instantly saw that Dolson had been grabbed, and I also saw that a foul had occurred. If I'm the commentator, I can say something inane and really useless in that situation like, "Looks like she got away with a walk." But Megan, why? Why say something inane and useless? And as to whether Stewart could have reached that pass if she had gotten the step to get in position for it, I say she's Stewie and I'm not betting against her getting that pass and stuffing it down or just about anything else, especially since she did a similar type of thing in the game which she turned into a beautiful assist to Banks. But to each their own eyeballs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Um, well, as a viewer I instantly saw that Dolson had been grabbed, and I also saw that a foul had occurred. If I'm the commentator, I can say something inane and really useless in that situation like, "Looks like she got away with a walk." But Megan, why? Why say something inane and useless? And as to whether Stewart could have reached that pass if she had gotten the step to get in position for it, I say she's Stewie and I'm not betting against her getting that pass and stuffing it down or just about anything else, especially since she did a similar type of thing in the game which she turned into a beautiful assist to Banks. But to each their own eyeballs.
Well la-te-da. Aren't we special. :rolleyes:

And Wilt the Stilt wouldn't have gotten to it.

You're eyeballs might need to be checked.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Another big stat was UCONN 22/24 from the line, Memphis 2/4. 20 points advantage at the line.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Well la-te-da. Aren't we special. :rolleyes:

And Wilt the Stilt wouldn't have gotten to it.

You're eyeballs might need to be checked.
I didn't know Wilt was on the team. Nice to have a 7-footer for the Huskies I guess. But actually I was talking about Stewie who not only can jump but has about a 20-foot wingspan, and can snag high passes when she gets to the baseline.

And my eyes are at 20/240 so they are decently special and could pick out without much trouble that Stef had been snagged even without the bifocals. But I know there are some visually impaired people at maybe 20/480 who may have had a bit of trouble catching that grab on Stef.

Reaction Score
Who can remember a game without a Boneyard argument? Personally I'm a fan of Meghan's commentary, and I think she gets more grief than she deserves in some quarters. Compare our media team with just about anybody else's, and a fair assessment would be that here too we're a lucky bunch of fans. I think what ticks some fans off are Meghan's attempts not to be a homey. Is she always right? Of course not. But I appreciate her attempts to call what she sees.

Reaction Score
Who can remember a game without a Boneyard argument? Personally I'm a fan of Meghan's commentary, and I think she gets more grief than she deserves in some quarters. Compare our media team with just about anybody else's, and a fair assessment would be that here too we're a lucky bunch of fans. I think what ticks some fans off are Meghan's attempts not to be a homey. Is she always right? Of course not. But I appreciate her attempts to call what she sees.
I'm not a huge fan of Meghan but if you watch enough college basketball you realize she's not bad at all. There are some horrible announcing teams out there for both women's and men's games. As for Stefanie getting held, mugged and/or beaten in the post it's become a given and somehow refs don't seems to call many fouls on those defending her in the post.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
she's been much better with this SNY guy... talks more about basketball and less about nonsense

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
she's been much better with this SNY guy... talks more about basketball and less about nonsense
This is most certainly true. At least she tries to stick to the game instead of the incessant stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom