BOT Set To Approve $10M Gampel Roof Repair | The Boneyard

BOT Set To Approve $10M Gampel Roof Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Boy - wish they would take that and apply it toward a teardown and rebuild near 44/195 instead.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Rats! I won't have anything to bitch about next season when I look up

Reaction Score
Boy - wish they would take that and apply it toward a teardown and rebuild near 44/195 instead.
Isn't it only a 25 year old building? Shouldn't they get more life out of it?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Isn't it only a 25 year old building? Shouldn't they get more life out of it?
Yes just turned 25 in January. Unfortunately while it was pretty state of the art when built, its design does not really lend itself to a good renovation plan, and its location tucked into the middle of campus with bad access roads is terrible for traffic pre/post game. A really good renovation would probably cost 25-50% of a teardown/new build and wouldn't solve the location issue.

Reaction Score
An additional 500 seats will be hung from the rafters.

nichols_hanging_on_rafters.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes just turned 25 in January. Unfortunately while it was pretty state of the art when built, its design does not really lend itself to a good renovation plan, and its location tucked into the middle of campus with bad access roads is terrible for traffic pre/post game. A really good renovation would probably cost 25-50% of a teardown/new build and wouldn't solve the location issue.

State of the art includes concrete bleachers ? ;)

Did they not think of the location when they planned and built the arena ? 25 years is still real young for a college place....... are their any other plans for renovations ? Or has it already been renovated ?

Reaction Score
The only way to solve the location issue is to have UConn leave Storrs.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Rats! I won't have anything to bitch about next season when I look up
Well, you could bitch about having to wait until the end of the season to add the 11th Women's National Championship banner

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
State of the art includes concrete bleachers ? ;)

Did they not think of the location when they planned and built the arena ? 25 years is still real young for a college place.. are their any other plans for renovations ? Or has it already been renovated ?
they had no clue UConn Women and Men would be this good... it wasnt part of the planning

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In 1992 when the initial planning was being done, basketball (M) was probably averaging a few thousand people and women maybe a few hundred. It was built next to the football stadium - not sure of the capacity there, but maybe 10,000? The campus was much smaller, they hadn't started closing off roads in the middle of campus, and there were not a lot of people coming to games from Manchester, let alone Hartford.

They obviously moved the football stadium off campus - be nice to keep the basketball facility on campus. The University does own land down to rte 44 near rte 195 - building an arena near that junction would at least allow out of towners access on two major 'secondary' roads with straight shots to highways. The current location requires that last few 'critical' miles from any direction on minor roads with lots of stop signs. It is probably the worst location possible on the Storrs campus.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Finally the eyesore will be gone.

Project Budget (Revised Planning) for Gampel Pavilion Dome Ceiling and Roof Repair (Attachment 09)

What "Eyesore" are you referring to? The dome itself? I must say I don't even notice the dome when I go watch a game. It never struck me as an eyesore.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

I'd still rather watch a game there any day than the Civic Center, even though it is a longer drive. I don't think they need to renovate anything. Just keep it clean and functioning like they've been doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom