Boomer Esiason says ESPN forced the Big East raid | The Boneyard

Boomer Esiason says ESPN forced the Big East raid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He said it on radio. Here is a thread from the RU board discussing it. There is a rumor that ESPN offered $5M more per school for ACC to do it. There is a smoke there is fire. I have always said ESPN is behind the latest raid and I hope we can get some proof of it. If it is true, BE better get our lawyers ready. If we don't land a TV deal that's equal or better than what ESPN offered us, we better get our lawyers ready.

http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=147847073&mid=147847073&sid=988&style=2

Reaction Score
Really not a shocker. ESPN was not going to allow the Big East as presently constituted to enter free agency. The Big East basketball tourney would outdraw all other conference tournaments hands down, so the Big East was sure to get a nice payout from someone, so ESPN decided to weaken the basketball product, while gutting the football side.

Reaction Score
Did Boomer also recently stir up some controversy about (I think) his Tony Romo comments?

Reaction Score
So, going by the Blaudschun statement that UConn was the first choice over Pitt, and that BC blocked it, it's going to be quite interesting to see how this all plays out. How in the world is BC going to justify this?

Reaction Score
If this is true you would think a company like ESPN would have thoroughly vetted this through legal and be on solid footing. That said, we've all seen big companies do immensly stupid things that were illegal, unethical and PR disasters.

Reaction Score
He said it on radio. Here is a thread from the RU board discussing it. There is a rumor that ESPN offered $5M more per school for ACC to do it. There is a smoke there is fire. I have always said ESPN is behind the latest raid and I hope we can get some proof of it. If it is true, BE better get our lawyers ready. If we don't land a TV deal that's equal or better than what ESPN offered us, we better get our lawyers ready.

http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=147847073&mid=147847073&sid=988&style=2
I've seen this on several forums but no news organizations are running this story and no quotes anywhere on the net. Anybody?

Reaction Score
I've seen this on several forums but no news organizations are running this story and no quotes anywhere on the net. Anybody?

I believe he said it on radio. Why would he lie and put himself out there like that? He is a Maryland alum.

Reaction Score
I believe he said it on radio. Why would he lie and put himself out there like that? He is a Maryland alum.
No claim its not true just like to see it reported by the news or hear it for myself. If ESPN did that, it's a big story that will gain traction soon.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
It's not on podcast anywhere, and no major news links on it yet.

I guess we gotta take Boomer at his word...

Reaction Score
No claim its not true just like to see it reported by the news or hear it for myself. If ESPN did that, it's a big story that will gain traction soon.
Yeah, ESPN will probably cover it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He was just quoting nelson. The lawyer types could better cover this, but I would believe Swofford approached ESPN and not the other way around. And if the report was true I'm sure it was an untraceable phone call to Swofford with an untraceable cell phone telling him to call back ESPN and ask what happens under different scenarios. I can't believe anyone will prove anything improper. In the end all we're left is just suspecting things.

Reaction Score
So, going by the Blaudschun statement that UConn was the first choice over Pitt, and that BC blocked it, it's going to be quite interesting to see how this all plays out. How in the world is BC going to justify this?
This has to be sarcastic right? Not everything is BC's fault. There were 3 other schools that needed to block Uconn if that is what actually happened. Do they need to justify themselves too?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Best to ignore this right now as we would have/will jump at the ACC if given a chance. No good can come of it if true, which I could easily see. All we need is an ambitious lawyer/politicians to screw it up. Any schools that end up left for dead, including us, can take it up later. The BBonlies can do a good job with this if the next contract is not to their liking. Hopefully, we'll be gone.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It's easy to see a contract that paid each ACC team $5 million more over the lifetime of the contract as the new members would get phased in. IIRC the last round was mildy accretive to each team yearly and paid $3 to $5 million more per team over the life of the contract. The real payoff was the new $13 million per team contract.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Yeah while driving into the office, I did hear Boomer say that on the radio and ESPN may have played a part of it.

Reaction Score
If UCONN is left out of the final 4x16 configuration or we get considerably less TV $$$ with the next TV deal than what ESPN just offered, our state government needs to look into this. There could be some serious damage to our state university long term if ESPN is behind this. There was no reason for the ACC to add SU and PITT other than to damage the BE. There is no definite raid on the ACC from another conference so they did it to make the BE less stable. By looking at all the schools scrambling for a new home, I say ACC/ESPN did their work well. It is not too hard to put some doubt into different schools by making the conference less desirable and unstable via expansion.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
would this be some sort of collusion?

business attorney, is this legal?

I kinda hope it's true. My gut tells me everything comes to a screeching halt, and there will be litigation

Reaction Score
would this be some sort of collusion?

business attorney, is this legal?

I kinda hope it's true. My gut tells me everything comes to a screeching halt, and there will be litigation

I am loathe to accuse anyone of illegal activity just because it is possible or rumored. Or, even to analyze the legality of what might have happened in a way that others will assume that it in fact happened. So, with my apologizes, until I have some facts (and Boomer repeating a rumor he heard is not a fact) I will be keeping quiet on this.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
oh come on BL

give us a hypothetical

:)

Reaction Score
oh come on BL

give us a hypothetical
+1.
What good is the handle 'businesslawyer' if you're not going to demonstrate any of your lawyering expertise? This is right in your wheel-house! :)

Reaction Score
I'm going with the "glass half full" mentality, so this will be moot, since we'll one of the 'haves'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom