Bobcats - Kemba | The Boneyard

Bobcats - Kemba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tough night for Kemba 5 -18. They had a chance in the last minute but Chris Douglas Roberts chucks up a brick 3 with a minute left and gets the ball stolen from him with 10 seconds left down 3 and they don't even get a shot off to tie the game. Why was he even in the game? The Bobcats bench is absolutely abysmal.

Reaction Score
Kemba has been hard to understand. He has turned a corner into being a great point guard with Jefferson to pass to. His assists went way up the last couple months to 8 per game or so.

But in those same couple months, his shot has totally disappeared. He shot 36 percent in the last two months, which is just eye-gougingly bad. Yet the team was still successful during his slump and kept winning as he was running the show.

Now if he could just combine both (great PG play and reasonably efficient shooting), he'd have a serious shot at All-Star status.

Reaction Score
Tough night for Kemba 5 -18. They had a chance in the last minute but Chris Douglas Roberts chucks up a brick 3 with a minute left and gets the ball stolen from him with 10 seconds left down 3 and they don't even get a shot off to tie the game. Why was he even in the game? The Bobcats bench is absolutely abysmal.

Tough line but doesn't tell the full story for Kemba. In the last couple minutes he hits a 3, draws a charge, has a nice assist, all in the process of cutting an 8 point lead to 4, then drains another tough, tough 3 with 20 seconds left to cut it to 1. Vintage Kemba. Down 3 with 10 seconds left they put Lebron on him and the Bobcats overthink it and go to Gary Neal, who can't get anything off and dumps it to Douglas Roberts who has no chance. Not CDR's fault.

Kemba still has the juice, wish he'd gotten the last shot.

Reaction Score

I would blame Gary Neal way more than CDR on that last play.

Reaction Score
Kemba has been hard to understand. He has turned a corner into being a great point guard with Jefferson to pass to. His assists went way up the last couple months to 8 per game or so.

But in those same couple months, his shot has totally disappeared. He shot 36 percent in the last two months, which is just eye-gougingly bad. Yet the team was still successful during his slump and kept winning as he was running the show.

Now if he could just combine both (great PG play and reasonably efficient shooting), he'd have a serious shot at All-Star status.
If jefferson were healthy bobcats would have stole this game. Health is a premium, walker feeds off the attention given to jefferson. Henderson played very well tonight. Like the hornets future

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Douglas-Roberts was in because Henderson fouled out
And Henderson fouled out because kemba went 1 on 3 and threw up a lousy shot in transition.

Reaction Score
And Henderson fouled out because kemba went 1 on 3 and threw up a lousy shot in transition.

Henderson fouled out because, notwithstanding his partial Duke education, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. Dumb of him to give that foul knowing that would be it. There was plenty of time left. Kemba's drive may not have been the best decision but it was an inch from being a bucket, Greg Anthony's commentary notwithstanding.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Gurleyman: 947631 said:

You know I agree, hes been horrid offensively but has improved defensively. Charlotte is a bottom feeder in the west but conversely hes looked like a top notch defender and an absurd amount of his shots have came late in the clock where he is just hucking up a miracle because his team cant get a clean look. Imagine if he was the pg on indiana or miami or dallas... his vision has been great...

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Kemba's been playing the second half of the season with an injury, and it's killed his stroke. Same issue Caron had his second year in the league.

Reaction Score

Kemba's percentage is not above 40% because he was made the go- to- guy when the shot clock was winding down. He had to get off a shot with 5-7 sec0nds left. It happened a lot. Obviously, he won't get a good look and he had to rush his shot. Insiders know the real story. Charlotte needs another go to guy - preferably a shooter (DeAndre Daniels, maybe?) - to help Kemba and Jefferson with the offense.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter who's guarding kemba. You find a way to get him the ball and no one else at that point in the game

Reaction Score
It's a tall order to beat the Heat in Miami, but it's been fun watching Kemba. You can tell he has a bright future in the league. He is the engine and the leader of the Bobcats, he plays with a real high basketball IQ and we all know how clutch he is.

Reaction Score
Kemba's percentage is not above 40% because he was made the go- to- guy when the shot clock was winding down. He had to get off a shot with 5-7 sec0nds left. It happened a lot. Obviously, he won't get a good look and he had to rush his shot. Insiders know the real story. Charlotte needs another go to guy - preferably a shooter (DeAndre Daniels, maybe?) - to help Kemba and Jefferson with the offense.
I think people need to stop blaming Kemba's poor shooting percentage entirely on him having to take tough shots at the end of the shot clock. He's never shot a high percentage even going back to his college days (40% and 43%, respectively, in his soph and junior seasons), and he now has two NBA seasons under his belt where he's shot under 40%. It's an issue that goes beyond just end of shot clock scenarios.

Where he makes up for it, though, is with his clutch shots, an exceptionally low turnover rate, good rebounding for his position and his now-elite defense.

I love Kemba and think he's among the most underrated players (not just point guards; players) in the NBA. But my suspicion is that his somewhat frequent 5-18 nights bring him down in a lot of people's eyes. While I don't think he'll ever shoot for a high FG percentage, if he could get up to around 42-43% I think people will start to pay more attention to all the other things he brings to the table.

Reaction Score
UConn990411 said:
I think people need to stop blaming Kemba's poor shooting percentage entirely on him having to take tough shots at the end of the shot clock. He's never shot a high percentage even going back to his college days (40% and 43%, respectively, in his soph and junior seasons), and he now has two NBA seasons under his belt where he's shot under 40%. It's an issue that goes beyond just end of shot clock scenarios.

Where he makes up for it, though, is with his clutch shots, an exceptionally low turnover rate, good rebounding for his position and his now-elite defense.

I love Kemba and think he's among the most underrated players (not just point guards; players) in the NBA. But my suspicion is that his somewhat frequent 5-18 nights bring him down in a lot of people's eyes. While I don't think he'll ever shoot for a high FG percentage, if he could get up to around 42-43% I think people will start to pay more attention to all the other things he brings to the table.

He had a long stretch where he was shooting around 50 percent over 2 months where he seemed to be putting it together. He has it in him to be a guy in the 43-44 range. I think more than the shot clock issue is that he doesn't seem to shoot well when he's playing through an injury. Shoulder, ankle - whichever. He's tough and plays through pain, but it effects his numbers.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

But it takes an enormous pressure off of him when he's got other guys who can get it done. Have that for an extended period of time, and I don't think the 43% is unrealistic right now.

Reaction Score
But it takes an enormous pressure off of him when he's got other guys who can get it done. Have that for an extended period of time, and I don't think the 43% is unrealistic right now.

Interesting article posted on sportsonearth yesterday that fits well with the discussion in this thread about Kemba's shooting (good discussion by the way). It breaks down his percentages by type of shot and talks about his strengths/weaknesses:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/articl...s-kemba-walker-explaining-lack-of-improvement

Also has this nugget: "Walker shot 41.2 percent from the floor without Kidd-Gilchrist and 35.8 percent with him playing." It notes Kemba's FG % on drives was poor this year and suggests MKG's lack of an outside shot likely had something to do with that.

Reaction Score
Kemba hit a huge three to get Charlotte in that position in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member