Boatright's lack of size looks like a bigger issue that I had anticipated | The Boneyard

Boatright's lack of size looks like a bigger issue that I had anticipated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For a little guy, there's not question RB has incredible athleticism and gets well above the rim. I've thought for a long time that he'll play in the league due to those two factors, but I've noticed that teams have figured out how to slow him and UConn down.

I don't know which team started it, but now all teams immediately double him when UConn tries to set the high screen. More times than not, he gets swallowed up, struggles to see the floor and has to dribble back away from the traffic. It's really been a brilliant way to defend UConn when he has the ball at the top, especially when the clock is running down. If RB is not able to split the double or get around them quickly to either get in the lane or find an open teammate, we run into some serious clock management situations and desperation shots. I'd like to see the team not run as many high screens with RB, especially late in the game, unless he's showing success at splitting it or getting it quickly to open teammates. I'm not saying don't run it at all. It's one of KO's offensive sets, but just don't do it too often where teams get into a rhythm of choking him off with a blanket of defenders.

Don't get me wrong, I think RB is a very talented player and will develop into an excellent combo-guard. He's just a sophomore who actually didn't get to have a full freshman season, thanks to the bonehead NCAA. He's just going to have to learn how to handle the double better. I'm not exactly sure what he or KO can do to address this. There might be an adjustment to where the other players need to be to give him more options and there is likely some things RB can do more quickly and decisively before the double completely overwhelms him.

I'm sure others have noticed this, but I thought it was worth noting.

Reaction Score
I think it hurts him more on the defensive end. Guys on the perimeter can shoot over him with ease -- just ask Cadougan on Marquette. And if he gets to the NBA, point guards will be even bigger and more physical. Fortunately in college this hasn't been exploited as well.

Reaction Score
I think it hurts him more on the defensive end. Guys on the perimeter can shoot over him with ease -- just ask Cadougan on Marquette. And if he gets to the NBA, point guards will be even bigger and more physical. Fortunately in college this hasn't been exploited as well.
Out back-court as a whole is prone to that. Bigger guards simply can have more confidence that they can catch and shoot, and even sometimes, just let it rip when our guards are standing right in front of them. As for the Cadougan shot, wasn't he something like 0-for-a-bunch that game and simply hit a ridiculous deep 3 in transition to take that game to OT? It's been a while since that game, but I thought RB's size had absolutely nothing to do with it.

As for the GU game, the Hoyas were on fire, but our lack of perimeter size did make it easier for them to catch-and-shoot. Teams with more perimeter size would have a better shot at disrupting a team like GU, though we did a good job of slowing them down in the first half, the last 4 minutes or regulation and throughout most of OT except for that fatal final couple minutes of the 2nd OT. Though inability to get off good shots and shots as a whole, during that GU game ending 8-0 run was what did us in.

caw

Reaction Score
He also doesn't protect the ball that well. Evans had an easier job breaking the Cinci press because he didn't show the ball to his man (by keeping body between ball and man) and when the hand checked Evams he simple ignored it because he's a hefty guy who isn't getting pushed around easily. Boatright has fantastic handles but he does show the ball a lot to try and tempt the defensive player into reach ins. When they don't call the hand checking it's easy for him to be pushed off the ball.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
another thing that can hurt 3 point defense by our guards is the way they cheat in so far when their man is on the weak side. There have been a lot of times that they cannot recover and get back to their men in time to defend the 3 point shot. Kemba used to do this a lot and I see Bazz doing it a lot too. It's a way for him (and Boat too, seemingly a little less) to help with the big guys inside, taking a swipe at the ball or preventing the entry.

In regard to Boat's size affecting his play, I think it definitely does. Kemba seemed to learn how to create separation much, much better going into his Junior year, in part by taking more pullup midrange shots. He was also stronger and bigger than Boat, able to handle contact without getting knocked off his path. Boat seems to be working very hard to get open, sometimes too hard/too fast. I think he needs to slow down and pick his spots better, watching the defender and getting them to move. His frenetic racing around is too often with his head down.

Reaction Score
Love his heart. Love that he's a husky.
But I don't believe he's going to see any substantial time in the NBA. He's too small. 20 years ago, different story. Now? There are just too many 6/2+ athletic point guards who would kill him.

Regarding his time at UConn, I think, as strange as this sounds, that the first thing he should do to reduce the number of times he's lost the dribble is to lower his bounce. In other words, he has a high dribble. For a 5/9 guy his dribble should be close to impossible to steal with a reach in.
BUT, he dribbles high. In HS I'm sure it wasn't an issue, because most guys weren't long enough or athletic enough to reach in and steal his dribble. Now, it's a problem. Against any guy with speed, he struggles to maintain his dribble through any kind of pressure. I think he could benefit from getting the dribble closer to the floor and bull-rushing out when he has two longer defenders start trapping him out by the half court line. The previous poster is right that this is becoming a weakness that costs possessions.

In any event, I think Boat will go down as a very good UConn point guard.
Right now, he looks a bit overwhelmed. I think comparisons to Kemba are poor, however, because Kemba, in his 2nd year, was a bit wild, and had a unreliable jumper, but he NEVER looked overwhelmed. Particularly when he was dribbling.

Reaction Score
Yeah Boat shows the ball to much. Crosses over right in front of defenders. But the problem isn't his height it's his big heart or head. He thinks he's better then he is.

Reaction Score
He needs to develop a pull up game because he often gains an advantage on the defender but over penetrates into lane where has a hard time finishing over the interior D.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Good post. I really think he'll be the last short guard at Uconn . Everyone else coming in will be 6'2" and up. It will be a firm rule of recruiting with KO.

Reaction Score
Good post. I really think he'll be the last short guard at Uconn . Everyone else coming in will be 6'2" and up. It will be a firm rule of recruiting with KO.
I think we'll recuit any player that has the talent and skills no matter his size. We have one of the best backcourts in the country and if Ollie could get 2 more like Bazz and Boat he'd sign them in a second. Ryan had a lot of setbacks last year so he is still learning. I don't expect him to be Kemba but look for Kemba type growth next year.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I think we'll recuit any player that has the talent and skills no matter his size. We have one of the best backcourts in the country and if Ollie could get 2 more like Bazz and Boat he'd sign them in a second. Ryan had a lot of setbacks last year so he is still learning. I don't expect him to be Kemba but look for Kemba type growth next year.

I love the backcourt but I just don't see Us having two of the same size kids like this in the future. I think KO will recruit taller guards. Of course you can't turn down a " Mr. Basketball"
type player but we won't have more than one at a time. I think KO will try to balance it out so that we don't have both of our ball handlers as smaller guards. With that said , I'm a firm believer in our backcourt being the best trio in basketball next year. JMO

Reaction Score
His height really isn't the issue. it's his head. both him and Napier have terrible body language. The most unbelievable aspect about kembas jump was he came back and competed every second of the game. there were no possesions off, a formula he has adapted to the nba turning him into a star. whether its fatigue or lack of watching film, he needs to pick his spots and tighten handle. Boat still has no idea how to run a team with college athletes
This goes for Napier as well he need to condition his body to gain another gear. Then we could be elite next year.

Reaction Score
For a little guy, there's not question RB has incredible athleticism and gets well above the rim. I've thought for a long time that he'll play in the league due to those two factors, but I've noticed that teams have figured out how to slow him and UConn down.

I don't know which team started it, but now all teams immediately double him when UConn tries to set the high screen. More times than not, he gets swallowed up, struggles to see the floor and has to dribble back away from the traffic. It's really been a brilliant way to defend UConn when he has the ball at the top, especially when the clock is running down. If RB is not able to split the double or get around them quickly to either get in the lane or find an open teammate, we run into some serious clock management situations and desperation shots. I'd like to see the team not run as many high screens with RB, especially late in the game, unless he's showing success at splitting it or getting it quickly to open teammates. I'm not saying don't run it at all. It's one of KO's offensive sets, but just don't do it too often where teams get into a rhythm of choking him off with a blanket of defenders.

Don't get me wrong, I think RB is a very talented player and will develop into an excellent combo-guard. He's just a sophomore who actually didn't get to have a full freshman season, thanks to the bonehead NCAA. He's just going to have to learn how to handle the double better. I'm not exactly sure what he or KO can do to address this. There might be an adjustment to where the other players need to be to give him more options and there is likely some things RB can do more quickly and decisively before the double completely overwhelms him.

I'm sure others have noticed this, but I thought it was worth noting.

Does this really matter in college? He had one bad game with no other player on the court to handle the ball. But yes, continue your thoughts that he hurts the team lol...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yeah Boat shows the ball to much. Crosses over right in front of defenders. But the problem isn't his height it's his big heart or head. He thinks he's better then he is.

If Bazz goes pro, and I don't think anyone at UConn will be telling him 'you're ready", then I'll worry that the team does not have that go-to-guy point guard unless Samuel is a surprise freshman. I don't see Boat as a leader...but then at the start of this season I didn't see Bazz as a leader either.

Reaction Score
His handle is the bigger problem.

Boat has incredible quicks, he should just blow past double teams. He can't because his handle can't keep up. He has a good handle. He needs a GREAT one to really exploit his athleticism.

He won't get taller. But he still has room to improve his handle. Watch his behind the back dribble when he moves to his left. The ball comes out wide and sometimes he has to chase it. He has way too many TOs for a primary ball handler. Fix that and he may have a shot at the league.

Reaction Score
so your saying when he behind the back dribbled in that specific possesion, he needs to improve his handle to improve that move ? Well IMO I think behind the back dribbling near half court is a bad move. He should have space dribbled and gotten the ball to an open teammate. He can make those passes despite his height, their basic and easier than what he usually ends up doing.
He just shouldn't palm the ball as much. Everything else is upstairs and what he should be applying his skills towards.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In a related observation, Tyler Olander's lack of skill looks to be a bigger issue than I had anticipated.

Reaction Score
If Bazz goes pro, and I don't think anyone at UConn will be telling him 'you're ready", then I'll worry that the team does not have that go-to-guy point guard unless Samuel is a surprise freshman. I don't see Boat as a leader...but then at the start of this season I didn't see Bazz as a leader either.

If Boat goes pro it won't be NBA. Look I love what this team has done but Boat hasn't improve enough to be considered a legitimate NBAer. He isn't a PG. Not a distributor nor a pure scorer. He needs to prove he can run a team be a leader, distribute. If he leaves he will never play in the NBA.

Reaction Score
In a related observation, Tyler Olander's lack of skill looks to be a bigger issue than I had anticipated.
Nolan might be more skilled

Reaction Score
If Boat goes pro it won't be NBA. Look I love what this team has done but Boat hasn't impfove enough to be considered a legitimate NBAer. He isn't a PG. Not a distributor nor a pure scorer. Bis

He's only a sophomore. I think he has a legit shot to develop into an NBA player. Boat is my favorite player to watch. When he plays bigger than his height (like against Cuse) he is incredible. But when he plays like he is 5'9" he really has a tough time. More than any other UConn player, he seems to be really affected by momentum, either positive or negative.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Boat does have a big heart and is brimming with confidence when things are going his way.
But when things don't go his way, he does tend to hang his head, get down on himself and become less engaged in the game.
I agree that he due to his slight frame, he struggles against hand checking, which unfortunately is allowed more in the Big East than it should be.
The high dribble is also a good observation, and something he should work on in the off season.
He also should attack immediately when the top of the key double team sets up...he should be able to draw fouls by splitting it quickly.
Also he has a very good floater and short, high-elevation, jumper. He needs to do that more and pass out off of penetration & take fewer threes.

Reaction Score
If Boat goes pro it won't be NBA. Look I love what this team has done but Boat hasn't improve enough to be considered a legitimate NBAer. He isn't a PG. Not a distributor nor a pure scorer. He needs to prove he can run a team be a leader, distribute. If he leaves he will never play in the NBA.

We all said similar things about Napier last year as a Sophomore. Then 4 years ago when Kemba was a Sophomore. I think we said it too with AJ Price in his 2nd season. At the end of the day, Boatright is 20 and had a solid season overall. He's obviously smart enough to average 15 ppg, and 4 apg. Best thing about Sophomores, they become Juniors. If players like Spud Webb, Earl Boykins & Isiah Thomas (the current one in the NBA), Boatright can make it too. Just give him time. He will learn end of game or end of shot clock situations... hopefully not getting caught on the sidelines!

Reaction Score
We all said similar things about Napier last year as a Sophomore. Then 4 years ago when Kemba was a Sophomore. I think we said it too with AJ Price in his 2nd season. At the end of the day, Boatright is 20 and had a solid season overall. He's obviously smart enough to average 15 ppg, and 4 apg. Best thing about Sophomores, they become Juniors. If players like Spud Webb, Earl Boykins & Isiah Thomas (the current one in the NBA), Boatright can make it too. Just give him time. He will learn end of game or end of shot clock situations... hopefully not getting caught on the sidelines![/quo

They say there is no d in the nba but you have to stop dribble penetration. He has to prove he can stay in front of his man at least once.:

Reaction Score

I don't think anyone in the NBA would be drafting him for his defensive abilities. Same with Napier. Both will be energy guys off the bench. Good offensive skills, but not defensive players. They are what they are. I'm trying to think of a sub 6'0" NBA guard who was a stellar defensive player. That said, Boatright has 2 years to develop. I think Ollie can do that. Look at what Kemba & Napier have done under Ollie's guidance.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone in the NBA would be drafting him for his defensive abilities. Same with Napier. Both will be energy guys off the bench. Good offensive skills, but not defensive players. They are what they are. I'm trying to think of a sub 6'0" NBA guard who was a stellar defensive player. That said, Boatright has 2 years to develop. I think Ollie can do that. Look at what Kemba & Napier have done under Ollie's guidance.

I can see Bazz and yes Boat has time. 1, 2 years ok. But not now be has to prove it like everybody else. Not everyone bow comes to Uconn makes it. Next year step up and play
Nothings giving not here or in life. Performance matters nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom