Boat and Bazz shooting? | The Boneyard

Boat and Bazz shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Its obvious Boat gets his shot blocked much more that Bazz. Bazz is a 'hair' taller but Boat has much better hops. Even rebounding where Boat has the hops advantage Bazz leads. I will also say that if Boat doesn't adjust 'something' (to overcome his height) then the NBA may become a dream.

My question is; what is Bazz doing that Boat is not, as he very rarely gets his shots blocked including contested drives?

Reaction Score
(a) Shabazz is a lot craftier, although in fairness Shabazz is craftier than 99.9% of the dudes in college basketball. He can put a guy on ice pretty easily.

(b) Bazz has a very quick trigger. For a small guy, Boatright takes longer to get into his shot than he should.

Just my two cents.

Reaction Score
To be fair to Boat, he was recently quoted (today) saying that this is the worst he has shot the ball since he actually learned how to shoot. His left shoulder is apparently bothering him from a pre-season lifting session, and he says it's been getting worse throughout the season.

On a side note, the team as a whole has shot 10-38 from 3 in the last 2 games. I'm sure this won't continue, but it needs to change for us to make our move for a decent tournament seed.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
(a) Shabazz is a lot craftier, although in fairness Shabazz is craftier than 99.9% of the dudes in college basketball. He can put a guy on ice pretty easily.

(b) Bazz has a very quick trigger. For a small guy, Boatright takes longer to get into his shot than he should.

Just my two cents.

I agree. I would add that Boat goes so fast that he often is not able to read the defenders responses and so does not recognize the best time to shoot. For example, he will break free past the foul line, then continues in and brings himself into reach of the defenders who can contest his shot. It's been a good sign the way he has been pulling up more from around 10' out.

On the other side, Bazz has been overdoing the crafty part, making plays more difficult than they need to be as he dazzles with his vision and timing. An example would be the multiple passes he makes to shooters outside the 3 point line that go out of bounds because he makes them "no look" passes when that is unnecessary. I would like to see Bazz really focus on squaring his body to the hoop and stop with the fading/floating/drifting he does when he shoots.

There, that will be 5 cents each for my advice.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I would like to see Bazz really focus on squaring his body to the hoop and stop with the fading/floating/drifting he does when he shoots.

I actually kept track of it for four or five games earlier this season, and from the elbow and baseline, whether inside or outside the 3 pt line, Bazz is about 40% more successful with his jumper when he does that awkward split legged kick than when he is squared up and goes up with good form. But from straight away, he does better when he doesn't kick.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's shot selection too. boat gets blocked a lot because he takes the ball too close to the basket. Shabazz has an amazing ability to release he ball quickly near the hoop. Boat has improved a lot this year and will figure it out by next year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
To be fair to Boat, he was recently quoted (today) saying that this is the worst he has shot the ball since he actually learned how to shoot. His left shoulder is apparently bothering him from a pre-season lifting session, and he says it's been getting worse throughout the season.

On a side note, the team as a whole has shot 10-38 from 3 in the last 2 games. I'm sure this won't continue, but it needs to change for us to make our move for a decent tournament seed.

the reason for the low 3pt percentage is that the boys are prescribing to shooting the 3's as a desperation or at ill advised times. when they work the ball around and take an open 3, good things happen

Reaction Score
It's shot selection too. boat gets blocked a lot because he takes the ball too close to the basket. Shabazz has an amazing ability to release he ball quickly near the hoop. Boat has improved a lot this year and will figure it out by next year.

Was just going to to post this... Boat gets too deep into traffic whereas Bazz pulls up a little bit earlier and has a quicker release. If Boat just pulled up a few feet earlier as opposed to trying to go all the way to the hoop he would have better success. Ironically, last game he used the floater very effectively against UCF's big kid who is not a shot blocker.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
(a) Shabazz is a lot craftier, although in fairness Shabazz is craftier than 99.9%* of the dudes in college basketball. He can put a guy on ice pretty easily.

Just my two cents.
*Aaron craft is the .1%

Reaction Score
When Ryan get's past his defender and has space that is the best time to shoot but often he keeps on going and winds up trying to shoot through the trees. This also takes a toll on his body as he winds up on the floor alot. Agree about us shooting 3's better when we aren't shooting them with under 7 seconds on the shot clock. As the season heads towards tourney time both guards have to lower their turnovers, especially the unforced one's like when Bazz passes to air.

Reaction Score
Also when going directly to the hole Ryan jump stops on 2 feet to elevate (99% of the time) and that habit slows down his ability to lay it in. I think because his thought process is to dunk rather than take the lay in, this is how he proceeds. He's taken people off the dribble and could easily score with the standard one step off one leg lay in but elects to gather himself and people are there to contest…….I've noticed that more this year than ever for some reason!

Reaction Score
Also when going directly to the hole Ryan jump stops on 2 feet to elevate (99% of the time) and that habit slows down his ability to lay it in. I think because his thought process is to dunk rather than take the lay in, this is how he proceeds. He's taken people off the dribble and could easily score with the standard one step off one leg lay in but elects to gather himself and people are there to contest…….I've noticed that more this year than ever for some reason!
A few games ago he took a conventional layup and I shook my head wondering why he doesn't do that all the time.

Reaction Score
A few games ago he took a conventional layup and I shook my head wondering why he doesn't do that all the time.

Yep hence my 99%, I saw that too. And no one could get there because it was quicker……good call tim

Reaction Score
Was just going to to post this... Boat gets too deep into traffic whereas Bazz pulls up a little bit earlier and has a quicker release. If Boat just pulled up a few feet earlier as opposed to trying to go all the way to the hoop he would have better success. Ironically, last game he used the floater very effectively against UCF's big kid who is not a shot blocker.

Is this anticipation (i.e. defender reaction)? That could also be an explanation, in Bazz instinctively and spontaneously recognizing (i.e. reading) and adjusting. Also it could help explain the craftiness of Bazz.

Reaction Score

^this is the biggest factor. im not sure how easy it is to fix or if its even correctable but boat is a natural 2-foot leaper and with his height it makes it very difficult to finish in the lane. his athleticism and vertical is on par with kemba, but you can see how big a difference it makes being able to elevate off of one foot. it allows you to continue your drive and momentum toward the rim once youve beaten your man and get off a shot that is much more difficult to contest. and in terms of jumpshots, it takes him a while to gather and his release is pretty slow

Reaction Score
Now that you guys mention it he does always go off 2 feet... never considered that as a factor before.

Reaction Score
definitely a 2 foot jumper, and it diminishes his chances of getting those crafty layups around the rim that Bazz and Kemba can get. All the time he needs to stop and gather momentum allows the defense to recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom