Blocking and tackling. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Blocking and tackling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He had plenty margin for error and he still went over it. Horrible throw, you can't blame the receiver there.

The play was doomed to fail weeks ago, when we began the progression, of running plays, that look like QB option plays, but really aren't. There was no reason for that DB to be challenging the QB, and not defending the option, other than the D had no reason whatsoever to expect a toss from the QB out of that formation. The DB crashed down on the QB, and we had two players miss blocks - on that single defender. That DB stays out where he should be defending a wishbone, and McCummings either runs it in, or throws and easy pass to the back the end zone.

Perfect example of our entire season on offense. THe play is there, but it fails becuase somebody in open space, screws up on a block off the ball, and/or execution of the play by the people handling the ball.

It comes down to practice. We aren't practicing things well enough during the week to be successful on offense on game days.

Why is that? Players? Coaching disconnect? Systems? All? take your pick.

Reaction Score
I'm not buying that. He had plenty of time. Make a play, a semi-competent throw, for crissakes.

Go to espn3.com and watch the replay man.

We are in a jumbo full set, wishbone. The defense is in tight. The outside defender on the defensive formation, has ZERO respect for the option. McCummings keeps the ball, the outside defender on the formation on the snap is going straight for the QB, and frigging splits - SPLITS - two of our offensive backs that end up on top of each other on the ground, instead of actually making a block, and the defender is in McCummings face 7 yards deep in the backfield. Hyppolite is out there, but he's not the primary receiver.

Either one of those backs, the FB or TB, actually makes a block? and McCummings has a clear lane to run it in for a TD, or if the D reacts in time, and the DB actually plays the formation the way it should be played, he's got a throw to a wide open receiver in the back of the end zone.

The play failed, because the defender had no respect for our offensive formation, and blew past two of of our backfield players like they weren't there.

Reaction Score
Go to espn3.com and watch the replay man.

We are in a jumbo full set, wishbone. The defense is in tight. The outside defender on the defensive formation, has ZERO respect for the option. McCummings keeps the ball, the outside defender on the formation on the snap is going straight for the QB, and frigging splits - SPLITS - two of our offensive backs that end up on top of each other on the ground, instead of actually making a block, and the defender is in McCummings face 7 yards deep in the backfield. Hyppolite is out there, but he's not the primary receiver.

Either one of those backs, the FB or TB, actually makes a block? and McCummings has a clear lane to run it in for a TD, or if the D reacts in time, and the DB actually plays the formation the way it should be played, he's got a throw to a wide open receiver in the back of the end zone.

The play failed, because the defender had no respect for our offensive formation, and blew past two of of our backfield players like they weren't there.

No, the play failed because the qb couldn't hit the broad side of Snooki's behind with his passing "attempt".

Hypolite was wide open. 9 our of 10 people on this board could have made the pass even while we were are shrieking at the site of the oncoming defender.

Reaction Score
No, the play failed because the qb couldn't hit the broad side of Snooki's behind with his passing "attempt".

Hypolite was wide open. 9 our of 10 people on this board could have made the pass even while we were are shrieking at the site of the oncoming defender.

BS. 9 out of 10 people on this board have no idea what I"m talking about with this play, let alone be able to make that throw under pressure.

McCummings wasn't in position to play to his strengths - and that's my underline point to eveyrthign that's happening with this offense. You look at that possession right up to that play, and we are doing everything I've been talking about. We are running right handed. We're talking our LG, who in isolation, ahs been weak, and pulling in him behind the right side of the line. We're running a trap inside to the FB position, behind #77 for a first down on third and 1 inside the 10 yard line. (except the FB happened to be a 166lb back on the play - and clearly happens to be the only player in our backfield that can bring some force to the defense, as limited as it is).....and we're moving that #1 defense in the country against the run back, to their own goal line.

THen we go with that garbage play call, the gimmick that Deleone put in in the fourth quarter against Buffalo, that almost cost us that game, then, and this time, had a defensive back split two offensive backs and blow up the pass - from a QB, who's strength, is clearly NOT passing.

I would not be unhappy in the least, to see Deleone relieved of his duties, today.

Reaction Score
BS. 9 out of 10 people on this board have no idea what I"m talking about with this play, let alone be able to make that throw under pressure.

McCummings wasn't in position to play to his strengths - and that's my underline point to eveyrthign that's happening with this offense. You look at that possession right up to that play, and we are doing everything I've been talking about. We are running right handed. We're talking our LG, who in isolation, ahs been weak, and pulling in him behind the right side of the line. We're running a trap inside to the FB position, behind #77 for a first down on third and 1 inside the 10 yard line. (except the FB happened to be a 166lb back on the play - and clearly happens to be the only player in our backfield that can bring some force to the defense, as limited as it is).....and we're moving that #1 defense in the country against the run back, to their own goal line.

THen we go with that garbage play call, the gimmick that Deleone put in in the fourth quarter against Buffalo, that almost cost us that game, then, and this time, had a defensive back split two offensive backs and blow up the pass - from a QB, who's strength, is clearly NOT passing.

I would not be unhappy in the least, to see Deleone relieved of his duties, today.

This is where you begin to really irritate people. I just watched the replay. Hypolite was open. McCummings made a horrific throw. Cut through all your bullsh!t, and that's why the play failed. But I guess of all us common lay people just don't know enough about football.

Reaction Score
I expect change this week. One of the biggest things that a head caoch needs to do, is recognize when change is necessary, and when it's necessary to change nothing.

We needed to punch that ball in on the ground, regarding the play calling sequence I"m discussing here. NEEDED to, or needed to fail to punch it in, playing to their strengths.

That play call, the wishbone, which is entirely based on the play call in the fourth quarter against buffalo 3rd and 6 in a single possession game on the Buffalo 40 yard line with Whitmer that time......fooled nobody on the Rutgers D, and forced our players to their weaknesses in tryign to get a TD on third and goal in a very tight game, in the third quarter, rather than playing to their strengths.

Deleone needs to be reeled in. I wonder if Coach P can do it.

Beat Temple. Got to get away from this for a while now.

Reaction Score
What Deleone is doing with these oddball formations is confusing his own team on their assignments not the opponent. It is really troubling that the head Coach does not see this. The only time we see the wishbone is on that one play all game. What is going on with these two guys. Deleone really does need to go now! Totally agree about the prototype player stuff Carl, at FB and LG we are in need of better FB players even if they weigh less.

Reaction Score

I took out the condascending first sentence of your post. There are many of us who played football at the high school level, and many of us who have coached. I saw the exact same play as you, several times.

Scott McCummings is a Division 1 QB. a 2 yard pass to a wide open receiver is not to much to ask. It's not to much to ask a high school qb. It's not to much to ask a pop warner qb. It's not to much to ask 95 % of this board. He had to put a little air under it. Ideally outside shoulder, but he could have thrown inside shouler, outside shoulder, right between the numbers. Hyppolite was that open. Instead, he threw a curveball, 75 feet in the air out of bonds. Andre the Giant on stilts couldn't make that catch.

THat was a great play call by DeLeone. And it was horrifically execute by the qb.

Deleone deserves a lot of the criticism unleashed on him by this board. This was not one of them.

DeLeone called a good enough game to win. It was night and day better than Buffalo. We just did not have skill players that could execute the very simple play calls.

Reaction Score
This is where you begin to really irritate people. I just watched the replay. Hypolite was open. McCummings made a horrific throw. Cut through all your bullsh!t, and that's why the play failed. But I guess of all us common lay people just don't know enough about football.

Watch it again Jimmy. We have two backs in teh backfield, they both fail to block the single guy on the outside of the defensive formation that rushes the Qb. a single guy, that should ahve been no where near the QB, and should have been covering Hyppolite....

the question is this - did the defender just make a HUGE mistake against that formation, and managed to make a great play by beating two of our blockers?

Or did that defender have zero respect for the formation and was coached to rush the QB on that formation and beat two of our blockers on the way?

I go with the latter, and I have no reason to expect McCummings to be able to connect on a throw like that under pressure, to a RB, who's touched the ball less in a game than I care to mention.

SOrry I'm irritating. I"m very irrated with this football program right now.

Reaction Score
Watch it again Jimmy. We have two backs in teh backfield, they both fail to block the single guy on the outside of the defensive formation that rushes the Qb. a single guy, that should ahve been no where near the QB, and should have been covering Hyppolite....

the question is this - did the defender just make a HUGE mistake against that formation, and managed to make a great play by beating two of our blockers?

Or did that defender have zero respect for the formation and was coached to rush the QB on that formation and beat two of our blockers on the way?

I go with the latter, and I have no reason to expect McCummings to be able to connect on a throw like that under pressure, to a RB, who's touched the ball less in a game than I care to mention.

SOrry I'm irritating. I"m very irrated with this football program right now.

Who cares what the defender thought or who he respected. Hyppolite was WIDE OPEN. McCumming has to complete that pass.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hyppolite is out there, but he's not the primary receiver.

You are clearly impaired right now. Hippolyte is not just the primary receiver on that play, he's the only receiver. Any other receiver would require the QB to roll right while throwing across his body into the teeth of the D. The D he rolled out to avoid.

Reaction Score
You are clearly impaired right now. Hippolyte is not just the primary receiver on that play, he's the only receiver. Any other receiver would require the QB to roll right while throwing across his body into the teeth of the D. The D he rolled out to avoid.

This man is correct. He rolls out right and is staring at Hyppolite.

Reaction Score
Who cares what the defender thought or who he respected. Hyppolite was WIDE OPEN. McCumming has to complete that pass.

No kidding. Hello people, what has happened in the past 2 years, to make any of you think that McCummings is going to complete that pass. He's not a throwing QB.

Is putting McCummings in that position, throwing to Hyppolite? YOu all think that's a great play call for this offense?

On the road, against a division opponent, with a chance to make a statemetn on the ground, 2 yards from the goal, and two downs to go?

No - I will disagree all day long, terrible play to call. It was a terrible formation and play to call last week too. You play offense to your player's strengths, not their weaknesses.

Reaction Score
No kidding. Hello people, what has happened in the past 2 years, to make any of you think that McCummings is going to complete that pass. He's not a throwing QB.

Is putting McCummings in that position, throwing to Hyppolite? YOu all think that's a great play call for this offense?

On the road, against a division opponent, with a chance to make a statemetn on the ground, 2 yards from the goal, and two downs to go?

No - I will disagree all day long, terrible play to call. It was a terrible formation and play to call last week too. You play offense to your player's strengths, not their weaknesses.

Jimmy Bennet could have made that pass. He wasn't asking McCummings to split three defenders on a 30 yard throw. He was asking him to throw a 2 yard pass that a 6 year old can complete.

Reaction Score
Ok - never mind the throw, does no one have a problem with the fact that two of our backs, can't block a single DB? That a DB can run straight between the two of them, shoulder to shoulder?

I swear, I don't know what else to say. That kind of play is simply unacceptable.

A single defender can NEVER EVER EVER beat two offensive players.

You guys think that McCummings throw was the problem, as if that's something new, McCummings throwing ability.

Reaction Score
Ok - never mind the throw, does no one have a problem with the fact that two of our backs, can't block a single DB? That a DB can run straight between the two of them, shoulder to shoulder?

I swear, I don't know what else to say. That kind of play is simply unacceptable.

A single defender can NEVER EVER EVER beat two offensive players.

You guys think that McCummings throw was the problem, as if that's something new, McCummings throwing ability.

I don't know what or who the heck you are talking to. I hated the play call because you're asking a kid to do something that he's not good at to the short side of the field where the margin for error is even slimmer.

But the play failed because McCummings couldn't make an easy throw. Case closed.

Reaction Score
I don't know what or who the heck you are talking to. I hated the play call because you're asking a kid to do something that he's not good at to the short side of the field where the margin for error is even slimmer.

But the play failed because McCummings couldn't make an easy throw. Case closed.

It bothers me to no end that the play was called in the first place. I've said that I think the DB either was coached to ignore the wishbone formation, or the DB actually blew what he should have done, and managed to make a great play, by splitting our blockers and rushing the Qb. I think that DB made a fantastic play on a busted assignment, and we had two blockers that failed miserably.

Everybody will see things differently. It bothers me to no end, that two offensive players got beat by a single defender.

Go back again, watch the espn3.com replay from 59 minutes or so, until we kick the field goal. Stephen comes up with the huge block on the kick. We get the ball back, down 6-0, short field, huge momentum shift, and on offense, began to play to our strengths, the entire drive...until....

First down - play action pass - except the open TE running the route, is looking for the ball over the opposite shoulder that the QB is throwing too. (not the first time we ran a play action pass on first down in the first half of the game, and also not the first time the QB and TE were complete disjointed otherwise the play goes for a huge gain...but we continue to line up and play what I'm calling right handed (not my term). It's exactly what I had hoped we would do, and have writtent that we I hope we really focus on from here on out. Out of I formations, and single back formations, running plays to the right side, receivers leaking out to the weakside. Strong side receivers cracking down and sealing, linemen pulling. LG pulls out and gets in behind RG and RT on one play. FB trap run to th right, with the RT coming under the RG for a first down on third and 1 inside their 10 yard line.

We were runnign the ball down their throats, over our strength, and we mixed in the pass along the way.

THen Deleone made a play call on third and goal at the 2, that went to every one of our weaknesses, rather than our strengths.

I think Deleone needs to be removed of play calling duties, and put on the OL only. We need a guy calling the plays, that in a situation like that, CRUCIAL game situation, isn't going to hesitate to call a play to our strengths, rather than somethign to our weaknesses. I don't think P will do it though.

Reaction Score
It bothers me to no end that the play was called in the first place. I've said that I think the DB either was coached to ignore the wishbone formation, or the DB actually blew what he should have done, and managed to make a great play, by splitting our blockers and rushing the Qb. I think that DB made a fantastic play on a busted assignment, and we had two blockers that failed miserably.

Everybody will see things differently. It bothers me to no end, that two offensive players got beat by a single defender.

Go back again, watch the espn3.com replay from 59 minutes or so, until we kick the field goal. Stephen comes up with the huge block on the kick. We get the ball back, down 6-0, short field, huge momentum shift, and on offense, began to play to our strengths, the entire drive...until....

First down - play action pass - except the open TE running the route, is looking for the ball over the opposite shoulder that the QB is throwing too. (not the first time we ran a play action pass on first down in the first half of the game, and also not the first time the QB and TE were complete disjointed otherwise the play goes for a huge gain...but we continue to line up and play what I'm calling right handed (not my term). It's exactly what I had hoped we would do, and have writtent that we I hope we really focus on from here on out. Out of I formations, and single back formations, running plays to the right side, receivers leaking out to the weakside. Strong side receivers cracking down and sealing, linemen pulling. LG pulls out and gets in behind RG and RT on one play. FB trap run to th right, with the RT coming under the RG for a first down on third and 1 inside their 10 yard line.

We were runnign the ball down their throats, over our strength, and we mixed in the pass along the way.

THen Deleone made a play call on third and goal at the 2, that went to every one of our weaknesses, rather than our strengths.

I think Deleone needs to be removed of play calling duties, and put on the OL only. We need a guy calling the plays, that in a situation like that, CRUCIAL game situation, isn't going to hesitate to call a play to our strengths, rather than somethign to our weaknesses. I don't think P will do it though.

Not for nothing......but folks here have been on the coaches for exactly the same reasons you're frustrated right now. And you told us it was about a lack of energy or something like that.

I thought people who jumped on P (like whaler, for example) last year after a handful of games were ridiculous. I didn't think they were right or wrong, but I just thought it was way too early to come to that conclusion. They just so happened to guess right. You almost have to give a new staff a year to get acclimated. But if you see the same things in year 2 (basic misunderstanding of the concepts of using TO's for example) and the team REGRESSES in year 2 you start to have to face reality.

Next year we're losing our LT, RG, both TE's, and a WR. And that's only the offense. On the other side....Trevardo, Wirth, Moore, Johnson, Wreh-Wilson, and Gratz. You think this year is ugly for P?

Reaction Score
Things can change very quickly by stringing together some wins, but I guarantee, it will not happen, if at crucial moments on offense, we continue to have plays come in that are part of some greater scheme, beyond simply moving the ball the required distance at that point in time, and said plays are not designed for our strengths.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Things can change very quickly by stringing together some wins, but I guarantee, it will not happen, if at crucial moments on offense, we continue to have plays come in that are part of some greater scheme, beyond simply moving the ball the required distance at that point in time, and said plays are not designed for our strengths.

I agree fully with that statement but my biggest concern is that once our winning streak (at least under PP) reaches one we hit a dead end.

Reaction Score
I agree fully with that statement but my biggest concern is that once our winning streak (at least under PP) reaches one we hit a dead end.

Hey man, I'm losing my patience by the minute with what's going on with our offensive side of the football. Certain players turning down blocks on offense. Play calling that puts our greatest weaknesses, on the spot, to make the biggest plays.

Winning fixes a lot of problems. THe next two weeks are incredibly important. We get Temple at home, and then Syracuse on the road, on a short week - with the game Friday night in the dome - followed by a break in the schedule to regroup before a trip to a south florida, and then another friday night matchup with Pitt - before the finale's against Lville and Cincy.

We absolutely must get on a roll, and get to that Louisville game at 7-3. It's not going to happen though, if our offense can not play with confidence though, and they've got all the tools they need to build that confidence, they just need to be given the chance.

The vast majority of the time, a short travel week like that is a disaster for a team. It may just be, that the short week, and having these guys focuse on what it will take to beat their old friend on Saturday, and then go back to upstated new york 5 days later, might just be what the doctor ordered.

I can only fill the glass half way, and hope that Coach P can get in his friend's face, and either fire him, or get this thing running right so that we don't kill our own confidence and momentum anymore on offense.

Reaction Score
Hey man, I'm losing my patience by the minute with what's going on with our offensive side of the football. Certain players turning down blocks on offense. Play calling that puts our greatest weaknesses, on the spot, to make the biggest plays.

Winning fixes a lot of problems. THe next two weeks are incredibly important. We get Temple at home, and then Syracuse on the road, on a short week - with the game Friday night in the dome - followed by a break in the schedule to regroup before a trip to a south florida, and then another friday night matchup with Pitt - before the finale's against Lville and Cincy.

We absolutely must get on a roll, and get to that Louisville game at 7-3. It's not going to happen though, if our offense can not play with confidence though, and they've got all the tools they need to build that confidence, they just need to be given the chance.

The vast majority of the time, a short travel week like that is a disaster for a team. It may just be, that the short week, and having these guys focuse on what it will take to beat their old friend on Saturday, and then go back to upstated new york 5 days later, might just be what the doctor ordered.

I can only fill the glass half way, and hope that Coach P can get in his friend's face, and either fire him, or get this thing running right so that we don't kill our own confidence and momentum anymore on offense.

Having already lost to Rutgers, I do not think I could deal with losing to Syracuse as well. We've beaten them 5 straight times. It need to be six.

But that does not mean I am looking past Temple. We first need to play up to our abilities on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Having already lost to Rutgers, I do not think I could deal with losing to Syracuse as well. We've beaten them 5 straight times. It need to be six.

But that does not mean I am looking past Temple. We first need to play up to our abilities on Saturday.

I've never been as frustrated with a half season at 3-3, as I am this year. We could just as easily be 1-5, as 5-1, and therein, lies what scares me about playing to our 'abilities'. It's our own play that has led to being 3-3, and or own play that could easily have it 1-5, or 5-1, it's not our opponents. We have not played a single team yet, that we are overmatched, and have little to no chance to beat.

I'd rather see us just put 11 guys on the field, on every down, that play the game well from start to finish at this point. Part of that is coaching, putting players in best position to succeed, every play, and part of it, is players actually doing what they're supposed to do, and doing it every play.

I think that if we were to do that, the results would end up in a W much more often than a L, the rest of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom