Block C Helmet is back | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Block C Helmet is back

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'd like to combine the block C with some interesting undertones and background graphics to jazz it back up. Regardless, the block C does say something; power, toughness, tradition that the jonathan helmet did not convey. We can combine the Block C with some wild stuff and be the best of both worlds.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'd like to combine the block C with some interesting undertones and background graphics to jazz it back up. Regardless, the block C does say something; power, toughness, tradition that the jonathan helmet did not convey. We can combine the Block C with some wild stuff and be the best of both worlds.
Helmet stickers!!!!

Reaction Score
Classic, flagship, tradition...acting the part at least in the apparel category...now we need some Ws to go along with it

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wouldn't mind seeing superimposed over the State of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Let's go back to the 2010 uniforms. UConn doesn't need fancy uni's. Old school understated.

Reaction Score
Too bad! The block C is unimaginative, boring, doesn't sell the image. Might as well go back to leather helmets if we are going to recreate the 1930s. Yuuuuuck!
Not in for a spitting match here geordi, just a very difference of opinion. The block C was the only tad of tradition we had going as a D1 program. Recognizable any where in the country just like our smiling Husky. Warde sold out to Nike trying to make an apparel splash which in my opinion was a rookie AD mistake.
Spoke to him personally and asked as a Michigan alum if he would want to get rid of their block M. The only question he skirted in our chat. Now he has the chance and nothing on any changes at Michigan yet. ;)

How imaginative or exciting can a helmet logo get and still be appreciated up close and at a distance? The block C gets my vote to remain as long as we have football.
Sure hope we can get more games with the block S and the block R on a regular basis while on the topic. I actually find it a bit sad so many think football has to be a fashion show.

Reaction Score
Spoke to him personally and asked as a Michigan alum if he would want to get rid of their block M. The only question he skirted in our chat. Now he has the chance and nothing on any changes at Michigan yet.
In fairness, I think the idea was for UConn to move to one logo across all sports programs to have a more consistent and uniform brand. Michigan doesn’t have that problem.

I agree with the rest of your point though.

Reaction Score
Leather helmets might reduce concussions, but modern players don't know how not to lead with their head.
I read somewhere that Cornell was the last college team to stop using them. The other ivy coaches all said they had far fewer injuries after playing the Big Red than any other team.

Reaction Score
In fairness, I think the idea was for UConn to move to one logo across all sports programs to have a more consistent and uniform brand. Michigan doesn’t have that problem.

I agree with the rest of your point though.
That was crap and just an excuse. Everybody who followed college sports knew the white Husky. Even today people don’t recognize the clip art one as UConn. And the block C was UConn football. Dopey Warde threw away 75 years of equity (that is how long UConn had a White Husky as its logo-started with Johnathan II) and was unique. But clip art was easier for Warde to use as he designed the eyeball helmets. God that man was a disaster as AD.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that Cornell was the last college team to stop using them. The other ivy coaches all said they had far fewer injuries after playing the Big Red than any other team.

The last leather helmet in the NFL was used roughly 3/4 century ago. The average offensive lineman was 6'-2"/6'-3" and between 235 and 250 lbs. 98% of all other players at all levels were much smaller (In 2010, the average was 6'-5", 310). The incremental increase in injuries attributable to speed and size has most likely out gain the incremental decrease due to technological development of equipment.

This why I have less fear about my kids playing football beneath the college level Of course, my oldest is almost 6 years old. He's barely 4 feet tall and weighs 45 lbs.

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
Have we ever worn the white block C? That’s new, yes?
i dont like it...but im guessing they wanted something to match with the white unis...we should just go back to our 2010 unis

Husky25

Reaction Score
i dont like it...but im guessing they wanted something to match with the white unis...we should just go back to our 2010 unis
My guess is the Block C will be on display for the home games (blue uniforms). Opposing fans don't give a C-rap. This move is for the home fans.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My guess is the Block C will be on display for the home games (blue uniforms). Opposing fans don't give a C-rap. This move is for the home fans.
A tiny, vocal portion of the home fans. Which is fine.

Husky25

Reaction Score
A tiny, vocal portion of the home fans. Which is fine.
With attendance where it is, it is a larger fraction than January 1, 2010.

Reaction Score
There is a C on the baseball hats. Not sure why it is that controversial.
In creating a single brand across all sports, I think Baseball was given special dispensation to keep the old style C because it is classic looking for baseball. I like the block C for football. That said, college football helmets have become a gimmick for some programs so I am not sure it really matters or how often they change them. I like old school, like Penn State. Others prefer constant change like Oregon. There are some God awful helmets out there.

Reaction Score
That was crap and just an excuse. Everybody who followed college sports knew the white Husky. Even today people don’t recognize the clip art one as UConn. And the block C was UConn football. Dopey Warde threw away 75 years of equity (that is how long UConn had a White Husky as its logo-started with Johnathan II) and was unique. But clip art was easier for Warde to use as he designed the eyeball helmets. God that man was a disaster as AD.
Well, UConn has had many different helmets and the Husky was never on the helmet until Warde so I don't see any equity being thrown away in terms of football.

SimonOnSports: Ranking UConn's Historical Helmets

CL82

Reaction Score
my oldest is almost 6 years old. He's barely 4 feet tall and weighs 45 lbs.
Feel like that is tall for a six year old, big too but not for his height.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Feel like that is tall for a six year old, big too but not for his height.
I really have no frame of reference because he's my oldest and I didn't really pay attention to any other kids before him. He's 46 1/2 inches tall. Mom's tall for a woman and her shortest brother 6'-2"/3" or so.

He has a friend who is only 3 months older and towers over him (both parents tall). He actually wears some of this kid's hand-my-downs (for the time being).

CL82

Reaction Score
I really have no frame of reference because he's my oldest and I didn't really pay attention to any other kids before him. He's 46 1/2 inches tall. Mom's tall for a woman and her shortest brother 6'-2"/3" or so.

He has a friend who is only 3 months older and towers over him (both parents tall). He actually wears some of this kid's hand-my-downs (for the time being).
He's probably going to be a pretty big guy. Let us know when Randy offers him a scholly.

Husky25

Reaction Score
He's probably going to be a pretty big guy. Let us know when Randy offers him a scholly.
That is when I'll worry about permanent long term injury. Who knows though? Football may look completely different by then.

Besides that, while we have a local youth program, our public school football team is regionalized with Vinal tech and Goodwin Tech. I'm fine with him focusing on Tee ball, soccer, basketball, and karate for the time being.

CL82

Reaction Score
That is when I'll worry about permanent long term injury. Who knows though? Football may look completely different by then.

Besides that, while we have a local youth program, our public school football team is regionalized with Vinal tech and Goodwin Tech. I'm fine with him focusing on Tee ball, soccer, basketball, and karate for the time being.
I loved that time of life. He gets to try new stuff, learn about competition and being a part of team and you have an excuse to be doing it too. I remember talking to an opposing coach before a little league game and he was complaining about getting out of work to get to the game. I laughed and said "Jim it's a beautiful day and we get to play some baseball." It's definitely a time sponge, but I look back on those days fondly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom