Biggest Single 72 Hour Upgrade in Talent | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Biggest Single 72 Hour Upgrade in Talent

Reaction Score
Its fair to say that Mora was laying low and preparing to make a splash in the portal. He realized that talk is cheap and apparently he decided playing cheerleader wasn't working anyway. I respect the attitude he seems to have adopted. Its great to see he has been working hard the whole time and that our concerns that he was drifting away were misplaced. To say that the last few days of commits is anything but a shocking surprise would be an understatement. Great job by the staff and the AD to make things happen. Obviously, it needs to translate on the field, but we've clearly upgraded the roster. So here we are, another summer and I'm getting sucked right back in---and I love it.
I'd still say long way to go and we are hoping for things from guys who didn't see a lot of time so we are looking at players who were as good as they were rated coming in. Either way it should be better than what we had

Reaction Score
I’m prepared to guarantee that we will have one of the best records of all the independents.

In reality I think Mora was a bit embarrassed by last year’s performance. AD Dave said he wants wants the top G5 program but Coach want the top program. I think he is working toward at least the first gosl

Reaction Score
With you???

I've been here WAITING for you...
Hysterical, was reading GoConn’s undefeated posts and trying to remember who the guy was that always predicted undefeated seasons…..UConnDan97! Maybe in a few years you guys will be predicting ANOTHER UNDEFEATED SEASON!!
#SomethingsDifferent!!
Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
I don't know if this is what we're seeing with this flurry of transfers, but either way I think it would be a wise strategy to vastly overspend on football until the dust settles on the latest round of P4 realignment. This would help us to win now and become a desirable program and silence some of the P4 decision making naysayers. We can always pull back on the spending if we get snubbed again.
Shut it down.

Reaction Score
thoroughly enjoying the number of pessimistic optimists in the thread - "we suck every year but i'm back!" - lol love u guys, seriously.

my feelings after these 72 hours are somewhat more measured.

i'm honestly not excited for wins, cuz this team really sucks until they prove otherwise to me.

BUT - i'm hoping as a starting point, we can look and feel like an actual FBS team. Wins aside, since i became a fan in 2018, i've gotten seriously tired of being an OBVIOUS FCS team (and a MID one, at that) who was only dressed in FBS clothes. I'm tired of sending out boys who have no business being on an FBS field, and to be confirmed in my suspicion when they transfer out just to get picked up by the likes of Merrimack and Fordham. I'm tired of slow receivers, undersized running backs, inaccurate QBs, corners who can't cover, and d-lines that just. don't. get to the QB.

My first ever game as a uconn fan was the boise state game, week 2 2018 - absolutely pitiful.

Even in our 6-7 2022 season, we did not truly look the part, which matters to a Big-12 or ACC commish, and which i believe is why that season did not help us land the Power invite everyone was hoping for last summer.

please note i'm venting about my entire experience from 2018 to today - i know there are select counter examples to the contrary (Jackson MItchell, Christian Haynes), but the overall theme i saw was this. And all of football america casually saw it too, and have made fun of us ad nauseum in the twitterverse and in media. Those voices matter. Perception matters. And we have lost the battle to this day.

I apologize for my pessimistic pessimism. But until I see a UConn team pass the eyeball test, i.e. obvious fully-merited FBS-level competency across all 3 phases of the game, and particularly in the passing offense, I cannot even begin to expect wins.

Rooting for them regardless. let's go Jim Mora & boys, I so want to see you win and celebrate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bigger question is how do you randomly decide to be a UConn fan? Kid went there? If not, you may have issues with self-hatred. There may be medicine to help you stop being a UConn fan...

Reaction Score
I hope you do realize there are only us and two left. One being Notre Dame. ;)
I hope you do realize that was some serious tongue in cheek!

Hoops over, spring ball over, portaling maybe one or two more, 2025 recrtg not heating up yet, ITS SILLY SEASON or nothing better to do season

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
thoroughly enjoying the number of pessimistic optimists in the thread - "we suck every year but i'm back!" - lol love u guys, seriously.

i'm honestly not excited for wins, cuz this team really sucks until they prove otherwise to me.

BUT - i'm hoping as a starting point, we can look and feel like an actual FBS team. Wins aside, since i became a fan in 2018, i've gotten seriously tired of being an OBVIOUS FCS team (and a MID one, at that) who was only dressed in FBS clothes. I'm tired of sending out boys who have no business being on an FBS field, and to be confirmed in my suspicion when they transfer out just to get picked up by the likes of Merrimack and Fordham. I'm tired of slow receivers, undersized running backs, inaccurate QBs, corners who can't cover, and d-lines that just. don't. get to the QB.

My first ever game as a uconn fan was the boise state game, week 2 2018 - absolutely pitiful.

Even in our 6-7 2022 season, we did not truly look the part, which matters to a Big-12 or ACC commish, and which i believe is why that season did not help us land the Power invite everyone was hoping for last summer.

please note i'm venting about my entire experience from 2018 to today - i know there are select counter examples to the contrary (Jackson MItchell, Christian Haynes), but the overall theme i saw was this. And all of football america casually saw it too, and have made fun of us ad nauseum in the twitterverse and in media. Those voices matter. Perception matters. And we have lost the battle to this day.

I apologize for my pessimistic pessimism. But until I see a UConn team pass the eyeball test, i.e. obvious fully-merited FBS-level competency across all 3 phases of the game, and particularly in the passing offense, I cannot even begin to expect wins.

Rooting for them regardless. let's go Jim Mora & boys, I so want to see you win and celebrate.
Buddy, you have no idea what you’ve missed. I was a teenager in the 2000’s when this team succeeded and exceeded year after year… that was an amazing time to become a fan.

I so badly want for you to experience a packed-Rentschler field late in the season, it’s gonna blow your mind.

Reaction Score

As the poster above me noted, there was a time when this was a very good team and home games were rockin'. RG3 said his game at UConn was the loudest environment he played in. They were ranked in the top 25 and competing for Big East (which was considered a "Power" conference at the time) titles. A lot of us know what this team is capable of with the right set of circumstances.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
But 247 dings these guys’ scores once they commit to us. Should be even higher

Reaction Score
We are closer today than we have been in a long time. Competent leadership, upgrade in talent, challenging yet manageable schedule. It's game time Sports Fans!!

#SomethingsDifferent

Reaction Score
As the poster above me noted, there was a time when this was a very good team and home games were rockin'. RG3 said his game at UConn was the loudest environment he played in. They were ranked in the top 25 and competing for Big East (which was considered a "Power" conference at the time) titles. A lot of us know what this team is capable of with the right set of circumstances.
I always thought uconn was making the investment to consistently be in the mix. Regular top 25 visitor. A lot of things conspired to derail that.

Reaction Score
I always thought uconn was making the investment to consistently be in the mix. Regular top 25 visitor. A lot of things conspired to derail that.
I don't disagree, but NIL changes the whole ball game. UConn should be able to get enough NIL support to be above every other G5 school. In the next couple of years we need this program to become the best of the G5. No other G5 program should be able to put together the same level of NIL packages for these players that we can. That should allow Mora to pull in the kids that aren't getting the playing time they want in the P4, but know they have the ability to make it to the NFL and just need the chance to show it.

Reaction Score
We are closer today than we have been in a long time. Competent leadership, upgrade in talent, challenging yet manageable schedule. It's game time Sports Fans!!

#SomethingsDifferent
I miss the fish cake’s stories

Reaction Score
I don't disagree, but NIL changes the whole ball game. UConn should be able to get enough NIL support to be above every other G5 school. In the next couple of years we need this program to become the best of the G5. No other G5 program should be able to put together the same level of NIL packages for these players that we can. That should allow Mora to pull in the kids that aren't getting the playing time they want in the P4, but know they have the ability to make it to the NFL and just need the chance to show it.
Just curious, why do you think no other G5 program shouldn’t be able to put together a NIL package at the same level as UConn?

Reaction Score
Just curious, why do you think no other G5 program shouldn’t be able to put together a NIL package at the same level as UConn?
I could be wrong, I haven't looked at the data on this to be certain, but I would expect fan base size, and number of fans willing to donate to NIL to be higher at a flagship like UConn compared to a school like Central Michigan, for example. UConn also has a bigger "brand name" than those other schools due to the basketball program. I suppose a school like Boise State may have a strong enough fanbase to be allocating enough money to football NIL to have more than UConn, but at minimum, I would think UConn should be among the top G5 schools for football NIL.

When I signed up for Storrs Central, I didn't specify "I want my $100 to go to the basketball team exclusively." I would bet that many people signing up there are doing so for basketball coverage/support, but that money is helping the football team as well. How many G5 schools can do that?

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, I haven't looked at the data on this to be certain, but I would expect fan base size, and number of fans willing to donate to NIL to be higher at a flagship like UConn compared to a school like Central Michigan, for example. UConn also has a bigger "brand name" than those other schools due to the basketball program. I suppose a school like Boise State may have a strong enough fanbase to be allocating enough money to football NIL to have more than UConn, but at minimum, I would think UConn should be among the top G5 schools for football NIL.

When I signed up for Storrs Central, I didn't specify "I want my $100 to go to the basketball team exclusively." I would bet that many people signing up there are doing so for basketball coverage/support, but that money is helping the football team as well. How many G5 schools can do that?
I hope you are right.

Reaction Score
Its so weird to hear all this said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom