Big win for Duke | The Boneyard

Big win for Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For all the McCallie haters, you gotta say this was impressive. I thought they were dead after losing Gray, Jones, & Wells, and would fall several seed lines. But to beat a good UNC team shows that they've still got some fight.
Very much surprised me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you're meaning Gray and Jones, but yes Wells is gone too. Also, Coach P going to a box and 1 zone on DD with a minute left was the best coaching move I've seen her make all season.

Reaction Score
LOL that's an awesome pic you have there triad. Funny stuff.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And the men complete the UNC Saturday Sweep... what a night, what a night, what a night :D

Reaction Score
UNC is a good AAU team , and an undisciplined college team. Diamond DeSheilds looks like an All American one moment, then she is making wreck-less turnovers, and taking terrible shots.

HGN

Reaction Score
Congratulations Triaddukeman.....I was pulling for your guys.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
On the other hand, she hasn't shown great improvement across the season and at this point she has a full college season in training.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In other words, she's a freshman. I'd be disappointed if she's still playing like this three
years from now.

I think most coaches would demand more discipline from her, can you imagine Geno allowing her to take the shots that she does ? or make the wild passes ? The learning curve would be much faster in most programs.

Reaction Score
Diamond DeShields is a great player with unlimited potential, but I believe UCONN dogged a bullet with her. She is undisciplined and allowed to do whatever she wants to do. Late in the game she made a three and yelled in Peters face. She was awarded a technical that contributed to NC loosing the game. Does anyone truly believe that Geno would tolerate her actions? My guess is that if she came to UCONN it would have been a situation like Walker, but much worse. Geno would have sat her and she wouldn't have liked it. In all probability like Walker, she would have transferred.

Reaction Score
On the other hand, she hasn't shown great improvement across the season and at this point she has a full college season in training.
She's a volume shooter, finesse player who is hot in some games and cold in others. The difference in this last game against Dook and the first one was that she made the majority of those wild shots.

I think if she played at UConn, she would have a better shot selection and Geno would've reined her in. I remember him telling Maya during her freshman year that she sometimes relied on her 3pt shot too much.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I think if she had gone to UCONN, she would have been fine, and would have ended up another Maya, DT, Stewie...as it is she will do great, be a top 5 player, but never quite get to the heights she would have under Geno's tutelage. But she would have had to learn to work in different ways...in any case, that Technical was really telling. Did anyone see it? Stuff like that eats out your soul.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have seen DeSchields do a number of unsportsmanlike things this year....one could say Punky and I don't mean Brewster. Hurts her team. Hurts her image. Keeps it up she will occupy a unique niche no one else will want to share with her.

Reaction Score
I think if she had gone to UCONN, she would have been fine, and would have ended up another Maya, DT, Stewie...as it is she will do great, be a top 5 player, but never quite get to the heights she would have under Geno's tutelage. But she would have had to learn to work in different ways...in any case, that Technical was really telling. Did anyone see it? Stuff like that eats out your soul.
Agree...Without that technical, NC might have won the game. Hope she will mature up quickly.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I was disappointed in the reaction of the UNC coaching staff to DD's behavior and technical foul. I understand Caulder is just the acting head coach but someone on the UNC bench needed to sit her down and let her know that sort of behavior should not and will not happen again. Instead, the response seemed to be "don't worry about it."

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I was disappointed in the reaction of the UNC coaching staff to DD's behavior and technical foul. I understand Caulder is just the acting head coach but someone on the UNC bench needed to sit her down and let her know that sort of behavior should not and will not happen again. Instead, the response seemed to be "don't worry about it."
I didn't see the technical live, so I watched it this morning.

When I saw one Latta laughing and patting her on the butt after the incident I started to really question if DeShields will get the coaching she needs to reach her potential.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

too true, Ice. She won't be winning any sportsmanship awards, either.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Yeah... i saw it... at first I thought she was yapping to the ref for not calling a foul........ It was already a tense atmosphere.... but it turned the coliseum up a notch. Got the Duke players fired up.... got us Duke fans fired up.......got the UNC fans fired up. The thing is.... after the tech... it seemed as she wasnt even remorseful for hurting her team. She started pounding on her chest defiantly. #23 already has alot of fans though... she got the biggest ovation when the starting lineups were introduced.

Reaction Score
Dd is an exceptional athlete, but she has to learn to control her emotions. There was a point when she was dialed in, and it reminded me of two players... Maya Moore and Seimone Augustus. She's just lucky Alexis wasn't out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom