Big Ten Expansion. Kansas & Mizzou. 1993. | The Boneyard

Big Ten Expansion. Kansas & Mizzou. 1993.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A little blast from the past.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ommissioner-jim-delany-big-southwest-missouri

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

If the Big Southwest does happen, there's a feeling in the region that it will be without Kansas and Missouri.

"I think it's serious," said a rival league official of the Big 10's interest in Kansas, a university with 25,000 students that has a powerhouse basketball program.

The Big 10 continues to stress that nothing is serious, at least as far as contacting other schools is concerned.

"I haven't talked with any other schools, and neither has anybody from my staff," said Big 10 Commissioner Jim Delany.

Delany said he couldn't speak for the university presidents. The Big 10's most influential CEO, University of Illinois President Stanley Ikenberry, and Kansas University Chancellor Gene Budig are friends, which has enhanced the speculation.

"I'm close with Gene, but there is nothing on the table," Ikenberry said. "Not even on an informal basis."

Delany also denied a claim that the league is contacting television networks to see what a 14-team conference with Kansas, Missouri and Rutgers would be worth as a package.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you had a netwoek you wanted to push... Colorado would have been a nice addition.

pj

Reaction Score
If they could do it over, they'd probably have taken Rutgers and either Missouri, Kansas, or Colorado along with Nebraska; maybe all of them.

Reaction Score
In thhe Game of Subscribers you wouldn't take any of the above except Rutty over Maryland. Maryland gave the BIG a toe in the DC Metro. Mizzou and Kansas combined aren't worth that media market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom