Big East's Next Media Deal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East's Next Media Deal

Reaction Score
We definitely add some good value to the BigEast, but they were a pretty thriving league without us. Honestly I was surprised, because when the C7 split and they did their additions I thought they were destined for the dust. But they proved everyone wrong. They built a nice little niche of a hoops league that has garnered a ton of respect.
Villanova stepped up sure.
Let’s be honest though, UConn in that league is a big bump. TV, attendance, and recruiting. If Texas and Oklahoma can squeak, and FSU can squeak, why shouldn’t UConn?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Here's the thing about subscriptions for football -- it only covers home games. Are there really that many diehard UConn football fans that don't go to home football games that this is going to work? I'd have to see it to believe it.

Are you saying UConn football has a steep hill to climb to be financially viable? Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Reaction Score
That's almost $10 Mil a year per team and would be a great number. If they can pull that off and eventually get to a place where football is good they can do a streaming deal and get to a place where they can bring in $20 mil combined. I would just stay as an independent.
That's what I would be shooting for. If Apple steps in and offers the Big East a nice contact, will Fox send in B12 to take UConn?

If the Big East is smart, they go for a combo of linear and streaming. Maybe something with Fox/ESPN and Apple/Amazon.

UConn football should definitely do the same to get a better deal. We are being ripped off right now with CBSSN.

Reaction Score
Are you saying UConn football has a steep hill to climb to be financially viable? Thank you, Captain Obvious.
If you need it in words of one syllable (which apparently you do) what I am saying is no matter how right you may be about the future of consuming sporting events from home, I think that, for now, we are much better off on CBSSN than we would be streaming only. Both in terms of

Reaction Score
Villanova stepped up sure.
Let’s be honest though, UConn in that league is a big bump. TV, attendance, and recruiting. If Texas and Oklahoma can squeak, and FSU can squeak, why shouldn’t UConn?
I don't know. Maybe because other conferences would pay them money to join? Or they think they could make as much money without a conference? Neither of which seems to be the case with us.

Reaction Score
That's what I would be shooting for. If Apple steps in and offers the Big East a nice contact, will Fox send in B12 to take UConn?

If the Big East is smart, they go for a combo of linear and streaming. Maybe something with Fox/ESPN and Apple/Amazon.

UConn football should definitely do the same to get a better deal. We are being ripped off right now with CBSSN.

Ripped off?

As opposed to what other offers? We’re lucky to be on TV. We could be on that awful platform UMass was on.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The Apple deal with the Pac 12 was going to end up as a combo of linear and streaming. The initial reports were that ESPN would pay $2MM per school for the top games, which meant the real numbers was $5MM. I don't know how that would impact the Apple deal financially, but the Pac 12 would have gotten linear distribution for its top games.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
They literally added us with the idea in mind that we would keep shopping around.

Nobody cares if we talk to other conferences. It’s expected.

I don’t hate the Big East. It’s a solid place to hold up for a while.

But it’s not a winning long term solution.

Right on all , but my point is in the meantime it doesn't give us any leverage to ,say, look for a sweetheart Deal in the BigEast like Gonzaga gets in their conf.

August_West

Reaction Score
They are nothingburger without us now that Jay Wright is retired.

LOL You dont know dick about hoops. The league has the best lineup of college basketball coaches in the country

August_West

Reaction Score
And the biggest lineup of schools no one cares about.
Not true at all.

Look at 2022 when the ACC tourney went head to head with the BET in NYC. Tell me who cared about what more.

Or take a look at the attendance figures for the B10 tourney at MSG a few years back. How did that work out?

Reaction Score
Not true at all.

Look at 2022 when the ACC tourney went head to head with the BET in NYC. Tell me who cared about what more.

Or take a look at the attendance figures for the B10 tourney at MSG a few years back. How did that work out?

UConn was in the Big East in 2022

And Jay Wright was there

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And the biggest lineup of schools no one cares about.
Not true at all.

Big East has some good coaches and teams that people care about. It's not the short term that's the problem, it's the long term. Pitino won't last and St. Johns will revert to the moribund program it was. The landscape is changing and it's going to be harder to compete outside the P4. A handful of schools with enough cache and brand recognition will be fine, UConn included. Most will become what St. Joes is now, a shadow of its former self.

August_West

Reaction Score
Big East has some good coaches and teams that people care about. It's not the short term that's the problem, it's the long term. Pitino won't last and St. Johns will revert to the moribund program it was. The landscape is changing and it's going to be harder to compete outside the P4. A handful of schools with enough cache and brand recognition will be fine, UConn included. Most will become what St. Joes is now, a shadow of its former self.
Ray Liotta Lol GIF

Reaction Score
Not true at all.

Big East Tourney drew less viewers on average than the P5, MW, AAC, and A10 for a solid 9th place. Some years it drops down to 10th behind a conference I wasn't even aware existed.

August_West

Reaction Score
And nobody cares. It literally doesn’t matter.

If you want to use the no one cares line. Let's use this one: No one cares (literally no one, not even in their own state) about UConn Football. No one goes to the games, no one watches the games. New England as a whole cares nothing for College Football. No one cares.

THAT is why we are where we are today.

Reaction Score
Right on all , but my point is in the meantime it doesn't give us any leverage to ,say, look for a sweetheart Deal in the BigEast like Gonzaga gets in their conf.

We shouldn’t ask for it. It might be nice to persuade without asking directly though.

August_West

Reaction Score

It's like the Painting of Kramer in Seinfeld that the old couple buys:

“I sense great vulnerability. A man-child crying out for love. An innocent orphan in the post-modern world.”

“I see a parasite. A sexually depraved miscreant who is seeking only to gratify his basest and most immediate urges.”

“His struggle is man's struggle. He lifts my spirit.”

“He is a loathsome, offensive brute. Yet I can’t look away.”

“He transcends time and space.”

“He sickens me.”

“I love it.”

“Me too.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you want to use the no one cares line. Let's use this one: No one cares (literally no one, not even in their own state) about UConn Football. No one goes to the games, no one watches the games. New England as a whole cares nothing for College Football. No one cares.
I Care Bill Murray GIF by filmeditor

Reaction Score

First off, nationally if anyone cared about 5 National Championships then we wouldn’t be where we are.

Your precious basketball future will be more secure if that changes.

Your football hatred is cutting off the nose to spite your face.

Show some emotional intelligence for once.

August_West

Reaction Score
First off, nationally if anyone cared about 5 National Championships then we wouldn’t be where we are.

Why would I care if anyone cared Nationally? I don't. At all. The only people who care about their team winning titles are the teams FANS. Everyone else hates it.

Reaction Score

amazingly, people do still care about UConn Football despite the previous horrors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom