Big East OOC Thread 23/24 | The Boneyard

Big East OOC Thread 23/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We're back. 18 days to go.

121 games for the conference (11 per school).

120 Division 1 contests, and Butler decided it would be cool to play Saginaw Valley State, a Division 2 school.

Number of P5 opponents by school:

Butler: 4-5 (depending on MTE matchups)
Connecticut: 4
Creighton: 4-5 (depending on MTE matchups)
DePaul: 5
Georgetown: 4
Marquette: 5-7 (depending on MTE matchups)
Providence: 4
Seton Hall: 5
St. John's: 3-5 (depending on MTE matchups)
Villanova: 4-6 (depending on MTE matchups)
Xavier: 4

League total P5 games: 46-54

Matchday 1 schedule:

Butler vs. Eastern Michigan (11/6)
UConn vs. NAU (11/6)
Creighton vs. Florida A&M (11/7)
DePaul vs. Purdue Fort Wayne (11/7)
Georgetown vs. Le Moyne (11/7)
Marquette vs. NIU (11/6)
Providence vs. Columbia (11/6)
Seton Hall vs. St. Peter's (11/6)
St. John's vs. Stony Brook (11/7)
Villanova vs. American U (11/6)
Xavier vs. Robert Morris (11/6)

Really doesn't need to be stated that the league needs to go 11-0 to start out the season.

Wins grid:

95-26 or better: 7 bids
88-33 or better: 6 bids
82-39 or better: 5 bids
75-46 or better: 4 bids

The goal as always is 100 wins and 7 bids. Let's go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Butler vs. Eastern Michigan (11/6)
UConn vs. NAU (11/6)
Creighton vs. Florida A&M (11/7)
DePaul vs. Purdue Fort Wayne (11/7)
Georgetown vs. Le Moyne (11/7)
Marquette vs. NIU (11/6)
Providence vs. Columbia (11/6)
Seton Hall vs. St. Peter's (11/6)
St. John's vs. Stony Brook (11/7)
Villanova vs. American U (11/6)
Xavier vs. Robert Morris (11/6)
According to KenPom, DePaul has the toughest matchup with their win probability at 89%. Everyone else is >95%

Reaction Score
Nova has their “secret” scrimmage left with Duke.…already scrimmaged Penn State . PSU reports were in within 20 mins of the scrimmage. they hardly remain secret.

The Duke one will def not remain secret. Someone from Duke will leak some video again. not complaining, it is cool for the fans to see A sneak peak

Reaction Score
Rutgers came back, and then Alleyne hit a shot to force 2OT.

Who are all the people in the stands? I thought no spectators are allowed at these scrimmages.

Reaction Score
The feeling I have gotten reading other threads on this board over the last several months is that quite a few of you (not all, but certainly the majority) feel it will be a major let down if St. John's beats us in either game this year... as if we will be big favorites in both games, even down at MSG.

I think anyone who feels that way is crazy and totally off. We will be, at most, a 2 or 3 point favorite at MSG against them, and easily could be a pick 'em or 1 or 2 point underdog. Either way, we will be in a dogfight in both games, mark my words. Over the last few years even with "lesser talent" and Mike Anderson coaching them we have only gone 3-2 against St. John's, lost twice at home and easily could have lost the 3rd one in 2022 that we won in OT. We went 1-1 last year, despite being the better team.

Furthermore, whatever team Pitino has been coaching (Providence, Louisville) has historically always been hard for us to beat. One of the few notable exceptions was the '09 (Feb. 2, 2009 to be exact) game in Louisville where we just destroyed a really good Louisville squad on Big Monday. Probably THE most impressive BE conference road win we have ever had. And yes, that is saying a lot. But God, we were straight out dominant that night. Won by 17, could have easily won by 25 or 30 against Pitino and a Cardinals squad ranked #5 at the time.

More than the '06 team, I still believe it was the '09 team that had a "what could have been" ending if not for losing Jerome Dyson just 9 days after that Louisville game to his season-ending knee in jury. I believe we would have beaten Michigan St. in the semis even though the game was in Michigan. and I would have LOVED to have seen us go toe-to-toe with that very talented UNC team with our full team... just as much as I loved it when we went toe-to-toe with Duke 10 years earlier.

Anyway, point being that I for one will be breathing a huge sigh of relief if we are able to sweep both games against a Pitino-led St. John's this year, and see a split as the more likely outcome.

Reaction Score
34 min for Gavin Griffiths w/ 14pts 3-8 from 3 w 5 RB (only 2-7 from 2pt)
I wanted him bad and still hope for a future portal possibility.
Alleyne put up 17 shots!! 13 3pt attempts = green light from Pitino 19 points leading scorer
Soriano 16RB / Ledlum 10RB is going to be a tough combo in big east play (overrated big Cliff had 9 for Rutgers)
I agree St Johns will be a tough out and a quality win on anybody's schedule
I also wanted Kansas transfer Ejiofor but he only got 5 minutes which surprised me (4-4 FT so must have initiated action)

I fail to see any point in keeping the outcome, stats, and observations of scrimmages without fans secret. Seems bizarre

Reaction Score
The feeling I have gotten reading other threads on this board over the last several months is that quite a few of you (not all, but certainly the majority) feel it will be a major let down if St. John's beats us in either game this year... as if we will be big favorites in both games, even down at MSG.

I think anyone who feels that way is crazy and totally off. We will be, at most, a 2 or 3 point favorite at MSG against them, and easily could be a pick 'em or 1 or 2 point underdog. Either way, we will be in a dogfight in both games, mark my words. Over the last few years even with "lesser talent" and Mike Anderson coaching them we have only gone 3-2 against St. John's, lost twice at home and easily could have lost the 3rd one in 2022 that we won in OT. We went 1-1 last year, despite being the better team.

Furthermore, whatever team Pitino has been coaching (Providence, Louisville) has historically always been hard for us to beat. One of the few notable exceptions was the '09 (Feb. 2, 2009 to be exact) game in Louisville where we just destroyed a really good Louisville squad on Big Monday. Probably THE most impressive BE conference road win we have ever had. And yes, that is saying a lot. But God, we were straight out dominant that night. Won by 17, could have easily won by 25 or 30 against Pitino and a Cardinals squad ranked #5 at the time.

More than the '06 team, I still believe it was the '09 team that had a "what could have been" ending if not for losing Jerome Dyson just 9 days after that Louisville game to his season-ending knee in jury. I believe we would have beaten Michigan St. in the semis even though the game was in Michigan. and I would have LOVED to have seen us go toe-to-toe with that very talented UNC team with our full team... just as much as I loved it when we went toe-to-toe with Duke 10 years earlier.

Anyway, point being that I for one will be breathing a huge sigh of relief if we are able to sweep both games against a Pitino-led St. John's this year, and see a split as the more likely outcome.
UConn will be favored in both games so in essence they should win both. But the Huskies lost to St. John's last year once. At home. When they arguably had a better team than this year's team and St. John's had a much worse team. So losing to them isn't out of the question. Not at all. Are there any Big East easy wins? Most games are competitive.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Keep in mind record in parentheses is against P5 competition.

UConn wins.

1-0 (0-0).

Reaction Score
Xavier only took four 3s in the first half. Wild.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall in a street fight against St. Peter's. Down 4 with 10 min left. St. Peter's looks quicker at every position.

Reaction Score
Against my better judgment I turned on Saint Peter's at Seton Hall. Saint Peter's is up by 6 with under 10 minutes to go. This would be a very embarrassing loss for Holloway...

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Providence wins.

2-0 (0-0).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I know they are playing Eastern Michigan, but Butler looks more talented than I expected. If Matta can get Posh Alexander to play under control, this could be an NIT caliber squad, which would be a lot better than expected prior to the season.

I watched the end of the Seton Hall game. How did SHU not bring ANYONE in for the frontcourt? Seton Hall's backcourt isn't terrible, but it isn't that good either. Certainly not good enough to win a lot of games playing those 4 guards 30+ minutes. I can see SHU playing in a lot of Big East games that are close at halftime, and they lose by 15.

Reaction Score
Big East against the KenPom spreads tonight:
UConn spread 23, won by 43.
Villanoa spread 22, won by 27.
Xavier spread 24, won by 14.
Providence spread 18, won by 19.
Seton Hall spread 18, won by 11.
Butler spread 16, won by 39.
Marquette spread 24, won by 22.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Villanova, Xavier, Butler, Marquette, and Seton Hall are all winners.

7-0 (0-0).

Reaction Score
Stony Brook is kind of hanging around with SJU. 11 point game at halftime but it was 6 before a quick 5-0 run in the last minute of the half

Jenkins and Ledlum look pretty good. Alleyne looks really uncomfortable and is on a pretty short leash

Reaction Score
Stony Brook is kind of hanging around with SJU. 11 point game at halftime but it was 6 before a quick 5-0 run in the last minute of the half

Jenkins and Ledlum look pretty good. Alleyne looks really uncomfortable and is on a pretty short leash
never mind

Reaction Score
DePaul looks...like DePaul. Awful. Actually, they've been good against out of conference competition the last couple years. Lost at home to Purdue Ft. Wayne.

Reaction Score

Chris Maidoh from Stony Brook looked good as well. I was surprised that the margin of victory for St. Johns was only 16.

Reaction Score
Chris Maidoh from Stony Brook looked good as well. I was surprised that the margin of victory for St. Johns was only 16.
Maidoh caught my eye as well. He made a lot of plays with a really odd stat line for a 6'10 223lb big. In 22 minutes he had 6RB, 5 Steals !!, 3 assists, 3 blocks, but only 2 pts on 1-9 from the field. I'd keep my eye on him if he ever hits the portal. Steals and assists usually aren't the way 6'10 guys stuff a stat sheet. He was active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom