Big East: NCAA ban would mean no BET | The Boneyard

Big East: NCAA ban would mean no BET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Per Ed Daigneault of the beat. Says league presidents agreed on it. I guess this is no shocker, but it would be sickening if Cuse and Pitt could play in it next year and UConn couldn't

Reaction Score
Per I guess this is no shocker, but it would be sickening if Cuse and Pitt could play in it next year and UConn couldn't
Sickening is right. They should just ban Cuse and Pitt while they are at it.

Reaction Score
I would bet the ACC or any other conferences would not ban their teams. All about the $$. Big East is going to lose out on ticket sales with no Uconn.

Reaction Score
Not to mention the 'Cuse got to play in the 1993 BET despite being banned from postseason play that year. WTH?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Our two closest rivals set to leave the conference? Check
Stuck in a conference of leftovers and wanna be's? Check
NCAA scholarship limitations? Check
NCAA post season tourney ban? Check
Our own conference turns on us? Check
Calhoun still our coach? Check!

NOBODY is better than Calhoun at "us against the world"
I like our odds. Georgia Dome here we come.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Our two closest rivals set to leave the conference? Check
Stuck in a conference of leftovers and wanna be's? Check
NCAA scholarship limitations? Check
NCAA post season tourney ban? Check
Our own conference turns on us? Check
Calhoun still our coach? Check!

NOBODY is better than Calhoun at "us against the world"
I like our odds. Georgia Dome here we come.

Georgia Dome? Is that where the Final 4 is in 2014?

Reaction Score
As far as the NCAA goes, I think they can be sued. It is a membership we keep by choice, but it is inarguably a membership of necessity. The fact that we are being abused unfairly by a "club", does not change the fact that UConn will suffer major economic loss due to the NCAA's unfair treatment. We already did the time with scholarship losses. Go to court.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
this should be no suprise at all. a post season ban is what it is... i mean what happened if we won the BET, that would be silly that they even let us play. if the worst case happens we will be ok. just look at usc fball last year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would bet the ACC or any other conferences would not ban their teams. All about the $$. Big East is going to lose out on ticket sales with no Uconn.

How exactly does the Big East lose ticket sales to a tournament that sells out without even having a public sale anymore?

If any other team in the conference were ineligible, I wouldn't want them playing in the league tournament either - it's just common sense.

Reaction Score
Letting us play puts the # of NCAA tourny bids at risk. We could win the whole thing and take away the Big East's automatic bid, or we could win a first round game against a bubble team and knock them out of the tournament. The NCAA tournament money is what counts, not the BET ticket sales.

Reaction Score
How exactly does the Big East lose ticket sales to a tournament that sells out without even having a public sale anymore?

If any other team in the conference were ineligible, I wouldn't want them playing in the league tournament either - it's just common sense.
You are correct I was wrong about ticket sales.

Reaction Score
Not surprising, but still disappointing that the Big East would turn it's back one of it's most loyal conference members.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not surprising, but still disappointing that the Big East would turn it's back one of it's most loyal conference members.
Yeah. It makes we want to leave if we get a chance! (Okay, I wanted to leave anyways but ...)

Reaction Score
Obviously I don't agree with this and I dont see any reason to do this. Isn't it up to the conference to decide how to award their automatic bid? Couldn't they just put it in the bylaws that in the event a BET champion is ineligible for the tournament the runner up receives the automatic bid. Problem solved.

Reaction Score
As a Syracuse fan who plans on attending the BE tourney next season, this disappoints me. I was looking forward to one more classic SU/UC BET game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom