Big East Glory Days | The Boneyard

Big East Glory Days

Reaction Score
Some of you guys are too young to remember the original Big East conference.

I remember how emotional I would get when UConn faced Georgetown or Syracuse. It just seemed like such a big event back then. The original Big East was special and I"m so glad I got to see incredible games against guys like Alonzo Mourning and Allen Iverson just to name a few. Those were days when the farthest thing from your mind as a fan was worrying about conference alignment or out of conference scheduling. You played who you played if you had a good season, you had a fair shot at making the tournament.

Everything today is so calculated. It's a shame really, but I still love watching the game. If you remember any classic games, awesome Big East players or coaches, post them.

the-nine-head-coaches-in-the-big-east-conference-circa-the-v0-qxh4opfrr2b81.jpg

Reaction Score
Dream season, Huskies v. Georgetown, HCC, Big Monday, seeing the emergence of Nadav Henefeld. Actually Nadav is the kind of player who would fit with this year's squad!
I like you enjoyed those days, but I think the Big East is returning to that level now. Enjoying it all!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

I remember how emotional I would get when UConn faced Georgetown or Syracuse. It just seemed like such a big event back then. The original Big East was special and I"m so glad I got to see incredible games against guys like Alonzo Mourning and Allen Iverson just to name a few. Those were days when the farthest thing from your mind as a fan was worrying about conference alignment or out of conference scheduling. You played who you played if you had a good season, you had a fair shot at making the tournament.

Everything today is so calculated. It's a shame really, but I still love watching the game. If you remember any classic games, awesome Big East players or coaches, post them.

View attachment 86989
What the heck is Blenheim wearing? A clown shirt?

Reaction Score

View attachment 86989
I was there back then too. An amazing group.

Reaction Score
For fans of the old Big East there is an excellent podcast "Big East Rewind" hosted by ex-Villanova center Chuck Everson
and Syracuse's Sonny Spera. It's a labor of love for the two and features interviews with dozens of coaches, players, etc. who were all part of the Big East especially in 80's and 90's. It's a little light on UConn but is still amazingly nostalgic for everyone who grew up on Big Mondays.

Reaction Score
only good things about the current big east are john fanta and jonathan the husky.

and that's just simply an undeniable fact.
LMAO - says the guy who still has a picture of his FORMER coach on his profile here.

Seriously? We got 5, how many you got? Oh, right: 2. From over 60 years ago.

And John Fanta tends to act like a pompous know-it-all too often for my taste.

Want to bet on which conference will have the better Top 4 next year? I'll take our NATIONAL CHAMPION UConn Huskies, Marquette, Creighton and Xavier.... oh, and maybe St. John's too, if I need a 5th, over any Top 4 you want to put up from your "new conference". Yes, it was arguably the best conference this year DURING THE REGULAR SEASON, and will be good again next year. But I am happy to take my chances come next March once again with the Big East. So take your lame and factually wrong comment and go away.

One other thing we always have that you never will again: MSG. Undeniably the best conference tournament in the country on a yearly basis. Better than what you will be a part of in Kansas City... and it ain't even close.

Oh, and your team won't be close to being in it next year either way.

You could talk crap years ago when your team had our number in the AAC more often than not, Kobe. But now?

Stop. Just stop. Makes you look like a jealous fool.

Reaction Score
My prediction for next year is that every team except possibly Butler will be comparable to this year or better. St. John's will take a huge leap and Georgetown will be competitive.

The Big East will be the top conference in the country next year, and that's not a slight to the Big 12, which will be a close second.

Reaction Score
Also remember Mourning with his finger in Lyman's ear during a free throw - no picture though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom