Big East, C7, AAC, NBE Split/Restructuring Re-Visited (Yada, yada, yada...) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big East, C7, AAC, NBE Split/Restructuring Re-Visited (Yada, yada, yada...)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn could have went with the Big East and sought a new home for football.
My understanding from the time was that the Big East was not interested in any school committed to playing football at the highest level.

Reaction Score
Was it the American or we were just mediocre in basketball and couldn’t compete in football?
Yes to all of it. I was embarrassed to be in the same league with ECU etc. I felt insecure and anxious about it. Seeing UConn playing basketball against ECU or Tulane in an empty building on ESPNU was just too much for me. Even our football team didn't deserve that ish. Vanderbilt gets to play name opponents and they are just about as bad as us. The UConn brand always deserved better.

Reaction Score
My understanding from the time was that the Big East was not interested in any school committed to playing football at the highest level.
The split was amicable and executed to the terms of the existing agreement.

I think the C7 would have welcomed UConn, but it was a moot point in that UConn wasn’t interested. It was prioritizing the cash and the football alignment, with the hopes that a new AAC TV contract would pay.

If UConn would have wanted to align with the C7 from the start, it would have happened.

CL82

Reaction Score
The split was amicable and executed to the terms of the existing agreement.

I think the C7 would have welcomed UConn, but it was a moot point in that UConn wasn’t interested. It was prioritizing the cash and the football alignment, with the hopes that a new AAC TV contract would pay.

If UConn would have wanted to align with the C7 from the start, it would have happened.
Agree to disagree on this. At the time the C7 left the Big East are they were looking to get out of the split interest between the football schools in the non-football schools. I think Connecticut would’ve been welcomed because of its basketball Pedegree, but again, my recollection was only if they downgraded football, which wasn’t happening.

TJT

Reaction Score
The old and new Big East primarily took its new members from the Eastern-8/A-10

OLD BE
Villanova
Pittsburgh
West Vriginia
Rutgers
Va Tech
[was slated to take Temple just before dissolving]

New BE
Xavier
Butler

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree on this. At the time the C7 left the Big East are they were looking to get out of the split interest between the football schools in the non-football schools. I think Connecticut would’ve been welcomed because of its basketball Pedegree, but again, my recollection was only if they downgraded football, which wasn’t happening.
I don’t think we were even considered for inclusion initially
for a variety of reason
Foremost we had a FSB football team and their goal was to divorce from that sport.
We we’re public , a fact the privates though gave us an unfair resource advantage a chronic complaint when we became the dominate team.
Third when they announced they were leaving it was pretty much assumed we were next up for selection to a P5 conference.
Every time UConn was rumored to be considered social media was alive with C7 fans calling us traders for leaving. The silence was deafening when they left.
I know UConn had previously attempted to keep the conference together but by late 2012 we would have been gone if we could.
Everyone was looking out for themselves , there are no hero’s in the story. I wish they stayed I truly believe it could have been successful. I also wish they hired a commissioner who had less grandiose football ambitions and more respect for basketball.
But it is what it is , UConn is what it always was simply a BB school and it’s premier sport resides in the best BB only conference in the US. Only two football playing schools of the old Big East are not in P5 conferences and we’re one of them That’s an honor I could have done without.
whether we can sustain our ambitious athletic program with a BB contract only epecially given our huge
shortfalls we’re having ,remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
It’s mostly about money, of course.

The split between FBS and non-FBS was less ideological and more monetary.

The C-7 were not happy with the distribution of funds. They proved their value position after the split (they would have had much smaller media distributions I’d they stayed in what became the AAC).

The conference chasing the diluted football path became both against the mission and against financial logic for the C-7 schools. UConn playing out the AAC potential was logical financially, and they realigned when the AAC finances played out with less value than all had hoped.

If a reconfigured ACC offered both UConn and Nova $30M a year to join, they both might take that leap. It wouldn’t be my choice as a fan, but the cash…

CL82

Reaction Score
It’s mostly about money, of course.

The split between FBS and non-FBS was less ideological and more monetary.

The C-7 were not happy with the distribution of funds. They proved their value position after the split (they would have had much smaller media distributions I’d they stayed in what became the AAC).

The conference chasing the diluted football path became both against the mission and against financial logic for the C-7 schools. UConn playing out the AAC potential was logical financially, and they realigned when the AAC finances played out with less value than all had hoped.

If a reconfigured ACC offered both UConn and Nova $30M a year to join, they both might take that leap. It wouldn’t be my choice as a fan, but the cash…
A lot of circular reasoning here (i.e. the C7 share of what was the eventual AAC deal would have been lower than the eventual biggest deal, but, the AAC deal didn’t include the C7 teams, which lowers the basketball value of the eventual contract). Likewise, the AAC became more expensive for Connecticut to be a part of because all the C7 regional teams left.

I don’t see any scenario in which Villanova is ever attractive to the ACC. Connecticut maybe, as backfill if the conference is raided.

Reaction Score
I don’t see any scenario in which Villanova is ever attractive to the ACC. Connecticut maybe, as backfill if the conference is raided.
I don’t think so either, I’m just saying there isn’t a moral high-ground here, it’s cash. If it was put on a platter either school would likely take the cash.

Reaction Score
A lot of circular reasoning here (i.e. the C7 share of what was the eventual AAC deal would have been lower than the eventual biggest deal, but, the AAC deal didn’t include the C7 teams, which lowers the basketball value of the eventual contract). Likewise, the AAC became more expensive for Connecticut to be a part of because all the C7 regional teams left.

If/when the ACC loses its best football brands, maybe it decides it wants to be the best basketball conference period. Add UCONN, Nova, & Kansas, ,maybe Georgetown, SJU...Might as well have something to hang your hat on.

CL82

Reaction Score
If/when the ACC loses its best football brands, maybe it decides it wants to be the best basketball conference period. Add UCONN, Nova, & Kansas, ,maybe Georgetown, SJU...Might as well have something to hang your hat on.
I doubt it. The value that basketball brings to a media contract is no more than 1/5 of the total value. I can’t see them adding three schools who’s value is only $.20 on the dollar. Kansas and UConn would be interesting additions, but it appears that ESPN is looking to protect the big 12, so they are unlikely to finance having a member leave the conference

(Notre Dame gets 20% of the ACC’s ESPN media revenue. It’s a fair guess that St. John’s has less value to the conference than Notre Dame.)

Reaction Score
Can I have your
kool aid snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Reaction Score
I doubt it. The value that basketball brings to a media contract is no more than 1/5 of the total value. I can’t see them adding three schools who’s value is only $.20 on the dollar. Kansas and UConn would be interesting additions, but it appears that ESPN is looking to protect the big 12, so they are unlikely to finance having a member leave the conference

(Notre Dame gets 20% of the ACC’s ESPN media revenue. It’s a fair guess that St. John’s has less value to the conference than Notre Dame.)
I'm not saying newcomers would get a full share. The ACC won't compete with the other football conferences but it could still be the best at something. Or not. And Kansas could be SOL in realignment so it may have nothing to lose. Focus on hoops.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom