Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do ppl really think St. John’s is a bigger, more exciting rival to us than Creighton? The old big east is long gone no matter how much we wish it wasn’t.
Perhaps not, but I sure as hell would rather play an away game at MSG in NYC rather than in Omaha Nebraska.

Reaction Score
Perhaps not, but I sure as hell would rather play an away game at MSG in NYC rather than in Omaha Nebraska.
We can stil play at MSG. Buut I would rather play Kansas in Hartford (or Gampel).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We can stil play at MSG. Buut I would rather play Kansas in Hartford (or Gampel).
Once UConn gets in, the Big 12 will outbid the Big East for the prime tourney dates. Not every year, every third or fourth.

Reaction Score
Once UConn gets in, the Big 12 will outbid the Big East for the prime tourney dates. Not every year, every third or fourth.
Doubt it, even when we weren't in the league and the big 10 tried to get in, they couldn't. The big east just had too much cache at MSG.

Reaction Score
Moving to the Big 12 may be the AAC geographically..... but not monetarily. In the current climate of NIL.... give me the extra 30mil per.
Or Basketball wise either. Last year the Big 12 had the #1 NET in the NCAA's hoops rankings of all conferences. The AAC ? they were the 9th ranked conference ...and compared to the Big East ? No lowly ranked team in the Big 12 like #131 Butler, #163 Depaul and #243 Georgetown.
( won't miss ya Patrick).

Actually the worst ranked team in the Big 12 was the departing OU at #68 ( which was better than over half the Big East teams). The Big 12 also brings in a decent replacement in #1 NET ranked Houston this year. ( along with #70 Cincy and #71 UCF from the hapless AAC)

Reaction Score

why would they bother? the ACC at Barclay's was a disaster.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You think they are going to move the Big 12 tournament to MSG because of us?
Not because of us but we give them entrée. I think it fits with their business plan.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Or Basketball wise either. Last year the Big 12 had the #1 NET in the NCAA's hoops rankings of all conferences. The AAC ? they were the 9th ranked conference ...and compared to the Big East ? No lowly ranked team in the Big 12 like #131 Butler, #163 Depaul and #243 Georgetown.
( won't miss ya Patrick).

Actually the worst ranked team in the Big 12 was the departing OU at #68 ( which was better than over half the Big East teams). The Big 12 also brings in a decent replacement in #1 NET ranked Houston this year. ( along with #70 Cincy and #71 UCF from the hapless AAC)

So Cincy and UCF bring down the conference slightly which is why the Big 12 needs UConn to offset them.

Amirite @kobe

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
why would they bother? the ACC at Barclay's was a disaster.
They won't. It will remain in a location accessible to most schools. KC or Dallas probably. It's in KC through 2025. If Colorado comes back, Denver could work. No chance they try to move it to MSG or Barclays.

KC is drivable from the greatest number of Big XII schools and has a brand new airport.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'd be fine with having periodic neutral site games in NYC if it were a part of a separate tournament, like a big 12 Big Apple classic or something. It allows us to keep our NYC presence and gives us the opportunity for neutral site wins.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
IMG_6506.jpeg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd be fine with having periodic neutral site games in NYC if it were a part of a separate tournament, like a big 12 Big Apple classic or something. It allows us to keep our NYC presence and gives us the opportunity for neutral site wins.
This is the kind of thing I expect Yormark to do if we join. Not move the whole tournament. The rest of the league would hate having to go to NYC for the tournament. Can't drive, very expensive to stay/eat, it wouldn't be feasible for their fans.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is the kind of thing I expect Yormark to do if we join. Not move the whole tournament. The rest of the league would hate having to go to NYC for the tournament. Can't drive, very expensive to stay/eat, it wouldn't be feasible for their fans.
Rotate the other top basketball schools in with Connecticut being a de facto host school. You wouldn't hear me complaining if Kansas was there every year as well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They won't. It will remain in a location accessible to most schools. KC or Dallas probably. It's in KC through 2025. If Colorado comes back, Denver could work. No chance they try to move it to MSG or Barclays.
It's an 8 hour drive to Denver from Lawrence and BYU, nine from Stillwater. Those are the closest schools off the top of my head. Are you still talking about driving or was that just for the other post? For comparison, those all longer drives than Hartford to Pittsburgh.

Reaction Score
Nope, don't realize this. Must be some of that brilliant insider knowledge that a simpleton like me just don't be comprehended

So we have to accept a Big 12 invite to get into the Big 10

Any insight into the Big 12 exit fees we'd be paying before we're even accepted into the Big 12?

This stuff be getting complicated
We need to be affiliated w a p5 conference. It’s really not that hard to comprehend, even for a self proclaimed simpleton such as yourself.
If the Big 10 expands eastward, or more like when, there is zero chance they consider UConn w football remaining as an independent.

Reaction Score
I absolutely do not want to move to the Big 12. We will lose more as a program than we could possibly gain. Including…..

1. MSG being filled with UCONN fans. No matter where in the middle of nowhere they decide to play their conference tournament, UCONN fans will not travel that far to attend. The conference tournament ceses to be special.

2. UCONN goes from being a major player in an excellent basketball conference to a small fish in a huge football dominated conference. For those who think that UCONN is going to have a meteoric rise in football by playing teams that are light years ahead of them and that they are going to listen to us the same as they do the more established football programs….wake up!!!! They have 0 respect for our football program. They just want to get in the New York market. Once in the Big 12 we would have zero influence because football rules.

3) We lose our home court advantage in recruiting in the North East. In the Big 12 there are no easy trips for the families to see their kids play and there is no guarantee of playing in the Mecca if Basketball MSG. All we will be able to get is paid mercenaries which puts us in the same boat with everyone else, constant roster turnover.

Money doesn’t solve everything and Benedict shouldn’t mess with what’s working. Being greedy will only make UCONN lose what makes it special. Just ask Cuse, Pitt and BC.

Reaction Score
Some writers that aren’t just going for clicks seem to think it might actually be happening this time. It’s very hard to tell anything with the pac 12 money being dragged out for so long.

Reaction Score
. No matter where in the middle of nowhere they decide to play their conference tournament, UCONN fans will not travel that far to attend. The conference tournament ceses to be special.

Not sure I would agree that Dallas or KC is in the middle of nowhere. I would travel to both for the tourney and for games. I am already checking on how to get to Ames.

Reaction Score
I absolutely do not want to move to the Big 12. We will lose more as a program than we could possibly gain. Including…..

1. MSG being filled with UCONN fans. No matter where in the middle of nowhere they decide to play their conference tournament, UCONN fans will not travel that far to attend. The conference tournament ceses to be special.

2. UCONN goes from being a major player in an excellent basketball conference to a small fish in a huge football dominated conference. For those who think that UCONN is going to have a meteoric rise in football by playing teams that are light years ahead of them and that they are going to listen to us the same as they do the more established football programs….wake up!!!! They have 0 respect for our football program. They just want to get in the New York market. Once in the Big 12 we would have zero influence because football rules.

3) We lose our home court advantage in recruiting in the North East. In the Big 12 there are no easy trips for the families to see their kids play and there is no guarantee of playing in the Mecca if Basketball MSG. All we will be able to get is paid mercenaries which puts us in the same boat with everyone else, constant roster turnover.

Money doesn’t solve everything and Benedict shouldn’t mess with what’s working. Being greedy will only make UCONN lose what makes it special. Just ask Cuse, Pitt and BC.
*UConn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom