Big 12 or B1G | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12 or B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Basketball has a much larger international fanbase than gridiron football. We've had international greats play for us.

Reaction Score
I think we have concrete proof that being first-class in basketball doesn't mean much.

Every program that has moved thus far has been a lesser basketball program than UConn and yet here we still are.

Yep.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hate the ACC, too. I'll still hate it if UConn joins. But my friend who has a friend who knows a guy still insists that UConn is in play for the B1G.
My neighbor's dog, Sam, agrees. It seems like there is a ground swell of support for this.

Reaction Score
Basketball has a much larger international fanbase than gridiron football. We've had international greats play for us.

You say that as if it's relevant . . .

Reaction Score
You say that as if it's relevant . . .
Making it to the history books repeatedly is relevant. The athletic department, especially the basketball programs, helped propel UConn to "public Ivy" status. Why do people deny such simple facts . . .

I think all the Big 12 schools would be more than delighted to have us for the basketball programs.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Making it to the history books repeatedly is relevant. The athletic department, especially the basketball programs, helped propel UConn to "public Ivy" status. Why do people deny such simple facts . . .

It's not relevant in this context.

The ACC has taken Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, Miami and Virginia Tech. The Big 12 took TCU and West Virginia. The Big 10 took Nebraska. The Pac 12 took Colorado and Utah. The SEC took Texas A&M and Missouri.

UConn has more hardware and banners in the rafters in the past 15 years than that entire group - combined. Hell, I am guessing UConn by itself has doubled what that group has done.

And we can see how much that mattered.

Reaction Score
It means we're bound to end up amongst them. Our athletic department is not antiquated. We are not the University of Chicago.

Reaction Score
Believe it or not, adding UConn, Cincinnati, and Louisville would make the Big 12 amongst the most storied basketball conferences in the country.

Going by total championships. It is very easy to rivalries in such a conference. Naismith invented the game in Springfield, right? We had to beat Louisville and Cincinnati last year to keep our momentum going to win the national title. The schools, along with Rutgers, do have a rivalry.

Reaction Score
I forgot to add, another rivalry with WVU. USF would also be a safe grab for the Big 12. USF, WVU, RU, UConn, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Notre Dame present the best options for the Big 12. Unfortunately, one of those schools cannot make the cut, if we go by 16 teams. I'd tend to think Cincinnati or USF would be left out.

Reaction Score
We`e not headed to the Big 12. Look a bit more north.

Reaction Score
I'm counting on UCONN being in the ACC by 2014 at the latest because i don't believe the Big,Pac12,Big12,Sec,Acc want to be giving money to a basketball conference any longer. When the Big East messes up the Big 12 football schedule they invite Louisville,cin,usf rutgers, and UCONN gets their ACC invite no Big East football league. Then Notre Dame would discuss a deal which i think they have already made. Ask yourselves why invite a team from california unless you want the league to fail? This way they walk away as the good guy and can say we tryed our best to save the league.

Reaction Score
It is very easy to create rivalries in such a conference*. How come we can't edit our own old posts anymore?

I think the Big 12 fans, at the very least, would be open to this idea. Their noses are just a little too high up in the air to admit they like the idea by just saying "not this again".

It is incredible to think two schools that were huge in establishing the two biggest sports would be in the same conference. Naismith at Kansas for basketball and Rutgers in gridiron football.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Personally I would love to have Texas and Oklahoma on our football schedule on a regular basis (especially with half the games at home, even if we farm some out to the Meadowlands/Foxboro) and the second level of their football programs (Ok St, T Tech, WVU when they joing and KSU) are at the moment at worst similar to the top level of what we will have in the BE.

The B-12 however is a temporary situation (solid for the six year media rights agreement, unknown beyond that) so the decision (if an offer does arrive) may not be an easy one. The BE also is little more than a temporary situation so a determination of whether an offer from someone else (ACC or B1G) may be a realistic possibility within that time frame would impact the decision.

Reaction Score
It is incredible to think two schools that were huge in establishing the two biggest sports would be in the same conference. Naismith at Kansas for basketball and Rutgers in gridiron football.

It would actually be Rutgers for football and Springfield College for basketball. Although James Naismith was KU's first coach the game was invented while he was at Springfield. Also, Naismith is the only KU coach with a career losing record. The coach that brought KU to the limelight was the second coach, Phog Allen.

Reaction Score
Personally I would love to have Texas and Oklahoma on our football schedule on a regular basis (especially with half the games at home, even if we farm some out to the Meadowlands/Foxboro) and the second level of their football programs (Ok St, T Tech, WVU when they joing and KSU) are at the moment at worst similar to the top level of what we will have in the BE.

The B-12 however is a temporary situation (solid for the six year media rights agreement, unknown beyond that) so the decision (if an offer does arrive) may not be an easy one. The BE also is little more than a temporary situation so a determination of whether an offer from someone else (ACC or B1G) may be a realistic possibility within that time frame would impact the decision.

Agreed, however I don't think you have a choice if the B12 offers. You can't trust the ACC or B10 to add us even if they say they will. If we rebuffed the B12, they'd just fill the spot elsewhere and one more seat is gone. Its money talks and Stop walks in this game. No formal offer is no offer at all.

Reaction Score
Looking at who the Big 10 has offered, they go after big schools, with
large stadiums, and with a football history. It would be great, but
I don't think it has a chance of happening.

Reaction Score
I'd encourage you to go back and read Waquoit's post above. That guy who knows a guy? Shhhhhhh. He's on to something.

As soon as I read his post I new your post was not far behind. I would have bet the farm. (grin)

Reaction Score
Of course the B1G is the first option, but if it's between the ACC and the B12, I'm going ACC all the way. Seriously, screw football. It'll be fine in either conference and make us boatloads of money. But are you telling me as a UConn fan that you would not rather see UConn v. Duke/UNC/Pitt/Cuse but instead UConn v. Kansas St./Kansas/Texas? C'mon!!! That is a freaking no brainer!!!

Reaction Score
I want BC's and Syracuse's hearts on a platter when this is all said and done.

Ten years from now I want both those programs to consider eliminating or downgrading their football programs because they cannot compete in the Northeast with UCONN. That scenario is most likely with a move to the ACC.

That is what I want.

Reaction Score
As soon as I read his post I new your post was not far behind. I would have bet the farm. (grin)

I try to read the boneyard frequently, but apparently I do not read frequently enough. What is the backstory here?

Reaction Score
What's the next big chip to fall? Are we still waiting on ND or will more shifts happen when Big 12 makes their moves? And what are our chances of going anywhere?
Big East- 45pct?
Acc- 35pct?
B10-10pct?
B12-10pct?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
What's the next big chip to fall? Are we still waiting on ND or will more shifts happen when Big 12 makes their moves? And what are our chances of going anywhere?
Big East- 45pct?
Acc- 35pct?
B10-10pct?
B12-10pct?

Handicapping anything requires a time frame. I'd say if the time frame is within the next 6 months, it's something like:

Big East 95%
The field 5%

Anything might happen over six months from now because six months from now (roughly) brings about the date that WVU claims they're leaving the Big East, June 30, 2012. All hell might just break loose then.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If we get the ACC invite we'd probably jump without anything more than a few back-channel inquiries to other conferences. I'd guess the vast majority of UConn's student/alumni base are New England / Northeast corridor / mid-atlantic. Probably eastern/central Pa + NJ account for as much as NE (outside of CT), and by keeping associations with SU, Pitt possibly RU and adding BC, maryland we can keep that regional profile. And as I've posted before ,being associated academically with UVa, UNC and Duke would be seen as a big plus by UConn's leadership.

Now if the big package deal to the B12 happens first, I don't know if we could turn that down either, I would think if it did we'd also work the phones hard with ND, Rutgers, and ACC schools to see what kind of counter-deals we could work out. #BegHarder redux.

Reaction Score
I think where Notre Dame goes, we go. I think ND would rather go to the Big 12 or the B1G than the ACC. The record in BCS games speaks for itself. ND puts football ahead of everything else, obviously. ND + Texas = HUGE payday for the rest of the conference. If they can poach the ACC successfully, the Big 12 might as well aim for FSU, Miami, UConn, Rutgers, Louisville and Notre Dame to get to 16. That would be one heck of a conference.

No one in Miami even cares for ACC football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom