Big 12 Commissioner Speaks... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Commissioner Speaks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@ freescooter I've said the same for a while. I find it unreal that the majority allows itself to be led around by the nose for as whaler says the pittance they get. The truth is the rest of the schools are closer to amateur athletics than the p5.

Reaction Score
@ freescooter I've said the same for a while. I find it unreal that the majority allows itself to be led around by the nose for as whaler says the pittance they get. The truth is the rest of the schools are closer to amateur athletics than the p5.
I can't wait for the day they want me to pay to watch them. Bwahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Well if I'm running say America East what do you think my goal is? If I'm the AD at St Bonaventure? The coach at Mount St Mary's?

Pretty generally these people are trying to move up the food chain. The easiest way to never move up the food chain is to publically critical of the people you want to join.

The same reason that UConn doesn't publically blast the ACC generally is the same reason that the individual employees don't. They want in the club and there is no prize for being right.

Reaction Score
You're right. But these decisions are made by the presidents no? Are those guys chasing p5 jobs too? Not likely I would think. Anyhow, its shame it has come to this. This whole thing is about go kaboom.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're right. But these decisions are made by the presidents no? Are those guys chasing p5 jobs too? Not likely I would think. Anyhow, its shame it has come to this. This whole thing is about go kaboom.

Upstater could expand but I'm pretty sure that smaller university presidents don't have any idea of the bigger athletic picture. They understand that athletic departments are generally sacred cows that are a bit of a drain but stay uninvolved.

Most of them are angling for bigger jobs too, they just aren't as concerned with the athletic prowess of the schools. If you are the president of Assumption, I'm sure you'd generally prefer to be the president of Holy Cross.

Unless the students revolt on paying fees for athletics to exist I don't think much will change.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The P5 hoops tournament would get higher ratings than the NCAA, if they split off everything. Therefore, they would be able to auction it out to the highest bidding TV network. And if they got that money too, then UCONN (and every G5 school) would really be screwed. Like it or not, the NCAA Tourney needs every single P5 school to stay in their tournament and that is why not a single one of them will be punished by that scumbag that is Mark Emmert.

Reaction Score
The P5 hoops tournament would get higher ratings than the NCAA, if they split off everything. Therefore, they would be able to auction it out to the highest bidding TV network. And if they got that money too, then UCONN (and every G5 school) would really be screwed. Like it or not, the NCAA Tourney needs every single P5 school to stay in their tournament and that is why not a single one of them will be punished by that scumbag that is Mark Emmert.
So all 65 teams, will make the "madness"? Or maybe just 32?

What makes the tournament is the upsets. That is why the ratings go down as the tournament progresses. Maybe they will get more money for 16 teams making their tournament. I doubt it though. The good news for them is then they can keep all their money from the football playoff, but they're basically doing that already anyways.

Reaction Score
That sure explains a lot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So all 65 teams, will make the "madness"? Or maybe just 32?

What makes the tournament is the upsets. That is why the ratings go down as the tournament progresses. Maybe they will get more money for 16 teams making their tournament. I doubt it though. The good news for them is then they can keep all their money from the football playoff, but they're basically doing that already anyways.

Uh the ratings go way up, and when mid majors are involved the late round ratings are awful. See VCU and GMU.

Reaction Score
I thought the first two rounds were the biggest ratings wise other than final four. I stand corrected.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Uh the ratings go way up, and when mid majors are involved the late round ratings are awful. See VCU and GMU.

Somewhat apples and oranges, though. You can't seriously compare midday weekday games, many of which canabalize each other, to primetime, mostly weekend, games, with near zero direct competition. Given later rounds, this favors majors, too.

Example: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013/04/march-madness-tv-ratings-still-up-entering-title-game/

Wichita St / Ville actually out-numbered Ville / Kentucky (!) from prior year.

Reaction Score
Well if I'm running say America East what do you think my goal is? If I'm the AD at St Bonaventure? The coach at Mount St Mary's?

Pretty generally these people are trying to move up the food chain. The easiest way to never move up the food chain is to publically critical of the people you want to join.

The same reason that UConn doesn't publically blast the ACC generally is the same reason that the individual employees don't. They want in the club and there is no prize for being right.
That isn't really true. Maybe St Bonnie's has delusions of grandeur and hopes to be St Johns or Villanova, but reality is that for most, winning the MAAC or the NEC or the Horizon is what they aspire to, not becoming a power 5 conference level school. Quinnipiac isn't trying to move up to become Michigan. They are thrilled that things worked out so they are where they are. Central Connecticut isn't hoping that the American will add a 2nd Connecticut School and they'll be in the running. They want to win the NEC and go to the NCAA Tournament, knowing full well they have about a 2% chance they'll get past 1 game. They and almost every other program is good with that. heck, even most mid-major hoop ADs are happy to be where they are. If an offer came to move up a level, they'd take it, but they aren't lobbying for it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That isn't really true. Maybe St Bonnie's has delusions of grandeur and hopes to be St Johns or Villanova, but reality is that for most, winning the MAAC or the NEC or the Horizon is what they aspire to, not becoming a power 5 conference level school. Quinnipiac isn't trying to move up to become Michigan. They are thrilled that things worked out so they are where they are. Central Connecticut isn't hoping that the American will add a 2nd Connecticut School and they'll be in the running. They want to win the NEC and go to the NCAA Tournament, knowing full well they have about a 2% chance they'll get past 1 game. They and almost every other program is good with that. heck, even most mid-major hoop ADs are happy to be where they are. If an offer came to move up a level, they'd take it, but they aren't lobbying for it.

I'm talking about the people. If you don't think they are generally looking for money and prestige... that's a pretty simple concept across all professionals. Almost nobody goes from UConn to CCSU for a lateral unless they get fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom