BG versus EDD | The Boneyard

BG versus EDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
In the hypothetical matchup between Britney Griner and Elena Delle Donne, who gets the better of the play?

I would pick Griner. What say you?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
2 thoughts...

They don't play the same position so it's doubtful they'd be guarding each other, unless EDD slides over for a double team on Griner. second, Baylor has 3 players who average double figures in scoring, and 1 at 9 PPG. UD has 2 players over 10 ppg and one at just under 9. i think Baylor wins handily but EDD scores 30 (she has to if UD wants to get close to 50), to Griner's 23 or so.

UD starts a forward (6'2" player) and 4 guards including 6'5" EDD. not sure how they guard Griner, but Baylor has so many other offensive weapons that they don't need to rely on her like UD does with EDD...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think if Baylor & Delaware do meet, EDD will attempt to get her points from the outside. I expect to see plenty of 3 point shot attempts. However, I would love to see EDD attempt to setup in the low post to see if she can score off Griner. Baylor has too much talent and would win the game by double digits.

Reaction Score
Perhaps this question has to be revisited after UD plays Kansas.

I think UD is not just all EDD. Yes EDD gets most of the attention and shots, but that's because she plays above everyone guarding her. I'm looking forward to the game as it could be memorable. Will Sims be able to deal with EDD and get multiple steals with her quick hands? Can EDD mix it up with BG and come out on top? Remember, Griner hasn't faced anyone like EDD.

I too have to go with Baylor as the favorite, but an upset wouldn't surprise me.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
And EDD hasn't faced anyone like Griner cause it don't exist.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
First, I wasn't really asking about Baylor vs. Delaware. I have to believe that Mulkey would put Griner on EDD defensively, even though they don't play the same position. Mulkey doesn't have anyone else to cover EDD (who does), so I believe that eventually BG WOULD cover EDD. And I think BG could and would be able to block EDDs shot. On the other end, I don't see EDD blocking BGs hook shot. Foul calls would obviously play a big role in the match up.

So, I do believe that IF Baylor plays Delaware, then at some point BG covers EDD and vice versa. I think BG gets the better of that match up, mostly due to length. It would be a battle well worth watching.

Reaction Score
Baylor would stomp on Delaware's throat in a match-up. And yes, EDD would have to guard Griner and vice versa b/c EDD plays the 5 in Delaware's system both on sides of the court (even though EDD isn't a Center). The game would be ugly. I think EDD would still get her 25pts., but Baylor would win by at least 30.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Hypothetically speaking, I will go with the player chosen by USA Basketball to potentially be on the Olympic team, one BG. Greater minds than mine...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Perhaps this question has to be revisited after UD plays Kansas.

I think UD is not just all EDD. Yes EDD gets most of the attention and shots, but that's because she plays above everyone guarding her. I'm looking forward to the game as it could be memorable. Will Sims be able to deal with EDD and get multiple steals with her quick hands? Can EDD mix it up with BG and come out on top? Remember, Griner hasn't faced anyone like EDD.

I too have to go with Baylor as the favorite, but an upset wouldn't surprise me.

Seriously? BG has played against Charles, Fowles, and the rest of the greats with the National team. EDD is not going to present anything that BG has not seen in the paint.

Madden will guard her when she is on the perimeter and BG will take over should she try to drive to the basket.

EDD will get her points. She is a tremendous player. But she certainly has not tried to score in the paint over Griner...and she won't. Griner, on the other hand, will turn and shoot over EDD with ease. EDD will either have to let her score or will end up in foul trouble.

Baylor is VERY athletic with their guards on the wings. There will be no easy spots and very few lanes in which to penetrate. Lord, put Sims on her and see how many TOs EDD has.

Reaction Score
Baylor would stomp on Delaware's throat in a match-up. And yes, EDD would have to guard Griner and vice versa b/c EDD plays the 5 in Delaware's system both on sides of the court (even though EDD isn't a Center). The game would be ugly. I think EDD would still get her 25pts., but Baylor would win by at least 30.

I'm not sure Tenn will beat Del. if they meet (maybe you are), and Baylor beat Tenn by less than 10. Why would Baylor win by at least 30 over Del. when they didn't even beat KSU by over 30 on average in their 2 games and beat St Johns by 14 when St Johns still had players missing. Del beat PSU and lost to Maryland by 9 and was within 6 with 4 minutes to go.

Griner is good at chasing you down or stationary blocks, not so good when she needs to come at you to stop you (like most players). She gets a lot of blocks on players other than her guy driving to basket. I expect lot of jump shots from EDD with Griner no where near her. I would expect Baylor to put one of their burly forwards on EDD and beat the crap out of her until the refs finally step in. Delaware's team looks like it can play, EDD plays lot of minutes (i.e. no foul trouble) expect them to be in it against Baylor and make the bears work for 40 minutes.

Baylor beating Florida tonight by 30 would be a lot and Florida was 8-8 in the SEC. Don't think you are giving Delaware team enough credit, Maryland is a pretty athletic team and it was a real game between the two.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure Tenn will beat Del. if they meet (maybe you are), and Baylor beat Tenn by less than 10. Why would Baylor win by at least 30 over Del. when they didn't even beat KSU by over 30 on average in their 2 games and beat St Johns by 14 when St Johns still had players missing.

And Baylor beat UCONN...and beat Notre Dame...when both teams had ALL of their players.

You cannot compare winning margins to get a true idea of how each team will compare. ND beat Tennessee 20+ and Baylor beat ND by 13. UCONN beat St. John's by 31 and Baylor beat UCONN. All these point spreads are irrelevant at some point.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I seriously think that Sims hands would be so fast for EDD that she would have trouble driving to the basket. I could imagine steal, after steal, after steal. She is a beautiful player but NOT all that fast.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I seriously think that Sims hands would be so fast for EDD that she would have trouble driving to the basket. I could imagine steal, after steal, after steal. She is a beautiful player but NOT all that fast.
If EDD had Sims covering, I really see no need for driving to the basket. That's basically an open shot.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If EDD had Sims covering, I really see no need for driving to the basket. That's basically an open shot.

Regardless of the size of the defender, if they are close and tight enough, which Sims would be, it is hard to get off a good shot. It is a LOT easier to get a shot off under the basket when you can turn and shoot over your defender, which BG can, than it is on the perimeter when you are facing your opponent. You have to show the ball at some point, and Sims has the quickest hands in the game. If you think EDD would be able to elevate and shoot at will, that won't happen.

For the record, have you seen Sims play perimeter defense? It doesn't get much better than that. Her defense is what makes her the best PG in the nation, IMO. Baylor has the best on-ball defender in the nation and the best paint defender in the nation. It would be tough sledding for EDD in that game.

I see no chance that Mulkey would allow BG to try to follow EDD all over the court. There is no way that BG could keep up with her in that type of defensive scheme, no more than EDD would be able to stop BG from scoring in the paint.

If EDD has to guard BG, she will foul out of that game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If Brittney Griner played in the CAA, she could be basically name her statline. It wouldn't be with the diversity of shots and distances EDD has, but she would be completely and utterly un-containable.

If you took Griner off Baylor and replaced her with EDD, Baylor would not be undefeated right now, and EDD would not have the kind of numbers Griner has had this season. Baylor would be the best team in the Big XII, and EDD would be a first team AA, don't get me wrong, but it's a distinction worth making.

Reaction Score
And Baylor beat UCONN...and beat Notre Dame...when both teams had ALL of their players.

You cannot compare winning margins to get a true idea of how each team will compare. ND beat Tennessee 20+ and Baylor beat ND by 13. UCONN beat St. John's by 31 and Baylor beat UCONN. All these point spreads are irrelevant at some point.
Baylor squeezed by a UConn team that was a few games into a season where the vast majority of their team were either freshmen with a few games under their belt or sophomores with one season and just a few games as college players. UConn, being that young, it was more a matter of the Huskies not quite knowing how to win rather than Baylor beating them. They lost by a few points in a hostile environment so technically you could say Baylor beat UConn but towards the end of the game, UConn did more to beat themselves. This is not to say that Baylor didn't play well, particularly as the game went on but you have to know that UConn's inexperience was a key factor in that victory. I know that Baylor isn't a senior laden team either but they're nothing compared to UConn. Every time I read your posts I feel that there is an underlying bit Why is it that whenever I read your posts I feel that there's a lot of trash talk going on. If Griner were to be injured, Baylor would be a very very ordinary team even with an outstanding guard like Sims. Their accompanying players are a lot more like role players who feed off the defense of Griner and her being virtually undefendable on the offensive side when she's hitting shots because of her freakish height and athleticism. If Griner changed jerseys for one game and played for Delaware, Delaware would totally humiliate Baylor. As you may have figured out, I'm not a fan of Baylor nor am I a fan of their coach. I may be in the minority because of that position but I'll never forget her taking that cheap shot a couple of years ago that she got virtually no punishment for.

Reaction Score
I think Delaware has a shot to beat Baylor. I see a close game if it happens. I was at the Uconn-Baylor game and the reason we lost IMO is the injury to Heather Buck causing her to sit almost the whole second half.

By the way, for those of you not liking ticket prices in Bridgeport, I don't blame you. Uconn-Baylor was $15. Number 1 versus number 2.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Baylor squeezed by a UConn team that was a few games into a season where the vast majority of their team were either freshmen with a few games under their belt or sophomores with one season and just a few games as college players. UConn, being that young, it was more a matter of the Huskies not quite knowing how to win rather than Baylor beating them. They lost by a few points in a hostile environment so technically you could say Baylor beat UConn but towards the end of the game, UConn did more to beat themselves. This is not to say that Baylor didn't play well, particularly as the game went on but you have to know that UConn's inexperience was a key factor in that victory. I know that Baylor isn't a senior laden team either but they're nothing compared to UConn. Every time I read your posts I feel that there is an underlying bit Why is it that whenever I read your posts I feel that there's a lot of trash talk going on. If Griner were to be injured, Baylor would be a very very ordinary team even with an outstanding guard like Sims. Their accompanying players are a lot more like role players who feed off the defense of Griner and her being virtually undefendable on the offensive side when she's hitting shots because of her freakish height and athleticism. If Griner changed jerseys for one game and played for Delaware, Delaware would totally humiliate Baylor. As you may have figured out, I'm not a fan of Baylor nor am I a fan of their coach. I may be in the minority because of that position but I'll never forget her taking that cheap shot a couple of years ago that she got virtually no punishment for.

We are all entitled to our opinions. I never mean to trash talk and I apologize if it comes across that way.

Griner makes Baylor a great team. You are right. DT made UCONN a great team. Parker made Tennessee a great team. Maya made UCONN a great team. That's the way it is. Luckily, it is a team sport and sometimes being a great teammate means knowing when to step back and let one of the greatest players in the history of the game take you to victory.

I suspect that if Michael Jordan had not played for Chicago that they would have had fewer, if any, titles.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think Delaware has a shot to beat Baylor. I see a close game if it happens. I was at the Uconn-Baylor game and the reason we lost IMO is the injury to Heather Buck causing her to sit almost the whole second half.

By the way, for those of you not liking ticket prices in Bridgeport, I don't blame you. Uconn-Baylor was $15. Number 1 versus number 2.

Injury? I thought Geno just said she didn't offer enough offense? Did she have a hand injury at the time?

I hope we get to see the game. If UD has a chance at Baylor then they have a chance at a national championship, I would suppose. So your are saying that you think UD can win a national championship?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting discussion - but impossible to really compare the two in a team game where the supporting players are so different. I think they are both phenominal players but they play such contrasting games it is really difficult to 'rank' them. Sort of like comparing DT to Lauren Jackson to Sue Bird to MM to Lisa Leslie.
I think BG will be the next evolution of LL - all world center
I think EDD could be the next evolution of LJ with a better handle - just not sure if she has the motivation to go all out professionally.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
2 thoughts...

They don't play the same position so it's doubtful they'd be guarding each other, unless EDD slides over for a double team on Griner. second, Baylor has 3 players who average double figures in scoring, and 1 at 9 PPG. UD has 2 players over 10 ppg and one at just under 9. i think Baylor wins handily but EDD scores 30 (she has to if UD wants to get close to 50), to Griner's 23 or so.

UD starts a forward (6'2" player) and 4 guards including 6'5" EDD. not sure how they guard Griner, but Baylor has so many other offensive weapons that they don't need to rely on her like UD does with EDD...

Agreed. But I do not think we see this play out this year. Del, does not survive Tenn if they get there after tonight.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Delaware would have only a slight chance against Baylor, but that is why they play the games. Elena will not be able to shoot over Griner inside. Britney is too good and too long for that. Hopefully, UDel will try some post-ups to see if Elena can score or draw fouls with her spins or up and under moves. Generally, I think it will be really tough.

I don't see Griner chasing EDD around the court. The Maryland bigs did that, and it made the lane wide open for the UDel guards. Elena may be able to get off midrange shots because of her high release point. If Elena and Carra can get open looks and shoot 15-25 on threes, that may be their best chance.

But neither team is there yet. UDel still has to win tonight and then deal with a physical LV team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Interesting discussion - but impossible to really compare the two in a team game where the supporting players are so different. I think they are both phenominal players but they play such contrasting games it is really difficult to 'rank' them. Sort of like comparing DT to Lauren Jackson to Sue Bird to MM to Lisa Leslie.
I think BG will be the next evolution of LL - all world center
I think EDD could be the next evolution of LJ with a better handle - just not sure if she has the motivation to go all out professionally.

WOW...and the USA will be lucky enough to have both. This is a very good post. These players are so different. Both are two of the best I've seen.

Reaction Score
easttexastrash:

Buck was injured in the first half of the game and she only played 2 minutes in the second half. It was her wrist as I recall. She sat out the next game as well. My thinking has not progressed as far as Del winning a national championship. Let's see if they beat Kansas and Tennessee first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom